All-time top 10: National teams

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
HOW did you rank them? Like, Id say that the 2006 Olympics Slovak Team is better than Sweden's WC team in 2006. You could have atleast said WHICH team specifically.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Czech Republic ahead of Sweden? Ridiculous.

Czech Republic vs. Sweden (gold-silver-bronze):

World Championships 1993-2006:

Czech Republic: 5-1-3
Sweden: 2-5-4

Olympics 1994-2006:

Sweden: 2-0-0 (best on best olympics 1-0-0)
Czech Republic: 1-0-1 (best on best olympics 1-0-1)

World Cup 1996-2004:

Sweden: 0-0-1
Czech Republic: 0-0-0

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
1. Soviet Union
2. Canada
3. Czechoslovakia
4. Czech Republic
5. Sweden
6. USA
7. Finland
8. Russia
9. Slovakia
10. West-Germany

Others: CIS, Great-Britain, Switzerland, Germany...

How can West Germany be ranked #10 while United Germany is "others"?

Is this thread an argument about all-time results, or fantasy all-time teams? Can we talk individual players? Because if we're building 20-man fantasy teams, Russia, Sweden and the United States would embarrass the Czech Republic and Finland.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland

West Germany was better, than Germany was/is. West Germany won olympic bronze 1976. West Germany had some of the best german players ever: Erich Kühnhackel, Udo Kiesling, Dieter "didi" Hegen (played both), Gerd Truntschka, Helmut Steiger...

Is this thread an argument about all-time results, or fantasy all-time teams? Can we talk individual players? Because if we're building 20-man fantasy teams, Russia, Sweden and the United States would embarrass the Czech Republic and Finland.

Hockey is a team sport. Russia is not anyway better than Finland. Fantasy teams or not.

Last edited:

AD

Aug 2, 2005
Bigassofficetower

I agree with the first part of your post...

But the bolded part makes no sense. The Czech Republic, Finland, Russia and the US all fall in the same boat to me.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Czech Republic vs. Sweden (gold-silver-bronze):

World Championships 1993-2006:

Czech Republic: 5-1-3
Sweden: 2-5-4

Olympics 1994-2006:

Sweden: 2-0-0 (best on best olympics 1-0-0)
Czech Republic: 1-0-1 (best on best olympics 1-0-1)

World Cup 1996-2004:

Sweden: 0-0-1
Czech Republic: 0-0-0

Well, since the olympics 94 didn't allow pros, it could be considered best-of-best among the players that did compete(Kariya, Forsberg, etc)

My opinion is that three IIHF-gold doesn't make the difference, but lets agree to disagree.

EDIT: I thinks its pretty funny that you exclude the 6 other swedish IIHF-golds (and the other medals), while counting the Czechoslovakian golds.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
EDIT: I thinks its pretty funny that you exclude the 6 other swedish IIHF-golds (and the other medals), while counting the Czechoslovakian golds.

Czech Republic golds are Czech Republic golds. I'm not counting Czechoslovakian golds.

Last edited:

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
West Germany was better, than Germany was/is. West Germany won olympic bronze 1976. West Germany had some of the best german players ever: Erich Kühnhackel, Udo Kiesling, Dieter "didi" Hegen (played both), Gerd Truntschka, Helmut Steiger...

I add Ullrich "Uli" Hiemer. He had a mullet :biglaugh:

143 NHL games and 73 points. Good for a defenseman.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
I'll give you the 81 Soviets, but I'll take the 72, 76, 84, and 87 Canadians. Those were the only times the best played the best.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
1976 Soviets had a semi B team. Also remember that all but 1972 (50/50 split) games played in North America.

I don't think the North American ice is that huge of an advantage. The Soviets/Russians were never that great on their home ice. Look at the World Juniors. After 1982, I think they only won one Gold medal on home ice. Summit Series is another example of their poor play on home ice. They play very well in Canada and lose three games in their own backyard. Furthermore, the last two World Championships they played horrible. One of them I believe they finished 12th.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
I don't think the North American ice is that huge of an advantage. The Soviets/Russians were never that great on their home ice. Look at the World Juniors. After 1982, I think they only won one Gold medal on home ice. Summit Series is another example of their poor play on home ice. They play very well in Canada and lose three games in their own backyard. Furthermore, the last two World Championships they played horrible. One of them I believe they finished 12th.

But did it help Canada?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
But did it help the Soviets? Sure it helped Canada but it helped the Soviets. In the end, the home ice advantage isn't that big of advantage, as you claim it is.

Look, I hate Soviet Union (but I like their hockey team) and you like Canada. No need to argue. Home advantage is something like 10-15% (depending league). When two teams are pretty close like Soviets and Canada, 10-15% can make a difference.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Look, I hate Soviet Union (but I like their hockey team) and you like Canada. No need to argue. Home advantage is something like 10-15% (depending league). When two teams are pretty close like Soviets and Canada, 10-15% can make a difference.

Why is there no need to argue? I said that the Soviets/Russians did much better, not playing on home ice. The results show that. I am not denying that Canada plays better at home but the Soviets played better on the road so I think it's closer than you think.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Why is there no need to argue? I said that the Soviets/Russians did much better, not playing on home ice. The results show that. I am not denying that Canada plays better at home but the Soviets played better on the road so I think it's closer than you think.

Seriously it's a small sample size. There's no any team that plays better on the road in the long run.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Seriously it's a small sample size. There's no any team that plays better on the road in the long run.

I just brought it up because everytime I know that the Soviets played on their soil they greatly underachieved. I might be wrong but it looks as though I am not. Usually playing on home ice is an advantage, however, there's always exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad