All time International team

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Since more and more star players come from countries, which are not known to be hockey-hotbeds, I thought about a team, which comprises only one player per nation. In order to sort out random birthplaces and family immigration (which would be misleading in terms of hockey education), each player must have played in a senior international competition for the country he shall represent. Due to the tremendous Russian influence playing for the Soviet Union shall only represent Russia, even for non-Russian players. An asterisk means that the player obviously only became a naturalized citizen, to represent the respective country in hockey:

Goaltenders

Evgeni Nabokov (KAZ)
Christobal Huet (FRA)
Bill Stewart (ITA)*

Defencemen

Nicklas Lidström (SWE) - Vyatcheslav Fetisov (RUS)
Chris Chelios (USA) - Sandis Ozolinsh (LAT)
Uwe Krupp (GER) - Mark Streit (SUI)
Dave Philipps (GBR)

Forwards (LW-C-RW)

Thomas Vanek (AUT) - Wayne Gretzky (CAN) - Jari Kurri (FIN)
Andrey Kostitsyn (BLR) - Peter Statstny (SLK) - Jaromir Jagr (CZE)
Ruslan Fedotenko (UKR) - Anze Kopitar (SLO) - Dainius Zubrus (LIT)
Frans Nielsen (DEN) - Espen Knutsen (NOR) - Mariusz Czerkawski (POL)
Dick Decloe (NED)*

The lines and pairings I chose are certainly not ideal, but I tried to consider the typical position of each player. I also admit that Great Britain must have had some better players than AHLer Philipps (i.e. from their gold medal team of 1936), but I do not have any idea how good those players really were.

Being German, I feel very bad about omitting Erich Kühnhackl (C), who is regarded as the best German player ever, but I really did not want to have Tollefsen (NOR) as 6th defenceman. Other tough decisions I had with my Finnish selection and with choosing Fetisov and Kostitsyn over Kharlamov and Salei. What are your thoughts about the ideal all time International team?

Gruß,
BSHH

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would OKT even be a lock as their rep from Norway? If you wanted to go with Tony Hand for Britian, you could switch out Kostitsyn and put in Salei. Or Yutaka Fukufuji from Japan and go with someone else from Italy or wherever

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
Not sure who Bill Stewart of Italy is, a better bet would be Jason Muzzatii. He is a Canuck yet played 5 seasons in Italy before representing Italy in the olympics back in '06.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad