All Time Favorite & Most Disappointing Flyers Moments

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I became a fan in 1985, so here are mine:

Favorite: Acquisition of Lindros. I was so pumped I thought multiple cups were going to follow from that traded.

Most Disappointing: Kane's goal. Culmination of 1- Not winning cup 2- Frustration of 20 years of goaltending issues and 3- Kane, a player taken 1rst overall in a draft where Flyers finished dead last (11 pts back from 2nd last as well) and did not win the lottery.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I've only managed to get down to Philly for a few dozen games, and one of them was the Claude Lemieux goal. Ick.

A 1-goal deficit isn't insurmountable, and neither is being down 3-2 in a series. But there was just something about that one. Everyone in the stands just knew.

Favorite: playoffs last year round 1. Never had more fun watching a sport.

Sweeping the Cup Champion Rangers is a distant second.

Mosetter27

Favorite: Honestly, has to be Shelley Ko'ing Rupp and doing the Salute in response to the Winter Classic. Although that moment really isn't earth shattering to me that screams what Flyers hockey is about. Beating the crap out of your opponents and standing up for your teammates.

Disappointing: Lindros trade to NYR, I understand that when we traded for Lindros in 91 he has much more value. But still we practically gave the Nords (Av's) their Cup when we went to get a return it was meh.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Worst: The Flyers series against the Devils wherein the Flyers were up 3 games to 1. Lindros came back and the wheels fell off. Devils went on to win the cup. Lindros's return destroyed whatever that team was fueled on. That Cup was winnable as hell. Steven's hit on Lindros was a symbolic death blow that carried through the entire series. Followed closely by the Detroit cup series and Kane goal.

Favorite: The Boston comeback + that whole playoffs. I bet 50 dollars to a coworker they would win the series once they were completely down in the series. The bet was actually (20 from me if they lost--50 from him if they came back). I felt they had the better of the series at points, but it just hadn't come together. Then... history. He only ended up giving me 20 and welching on the rest. I remember the final game, after Gags scored you could tell "Boston is broken. We're going to win this. omg."

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The entire 2010 run from when Lavi was brought in, a side trip to the Olympics, getting into the playoffs in the shootout on the last day, that was some of the most fun hockey ever.

And the most disappointing was Kane's goal and subsequent re-signing and further re-signing of MFL. Way to put the dagger in our hearts, Holmgren! Dishonourable mention goes to the day they traded Richards and Carter, signed Bryz to that ludicrous contract and then added Talbot and Jagr, 2 Penguins, to the team.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Best: Being at Game 3 Stanley Cup Finals in 2010 and seeing Giroux score the OT game winner

Worst: Seeing Leighton give up the world's softest goal in game 6 to lose it all

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Favorite Flyers moments:
watching Senators-Flyers game in 2004 with the record in fights;
the 2004 playoffs;
the comeback against the Bruins in 2010 and the magical run after;

Most Disappointing Flyers moments:
Losing to the Devils in 2000;
Game 7 of 2004 ECF;
Game 6 of 2010 SCF

Not in any particular order

RJ8812*

Favorite: Honestly, has to be Shelley Ko'ing Rupp and doing the Salute in response to the Winter Classic. Although that moment really isn't earth shattering to me that screams what Flyers hockey is about. Beating the crap out of your opponents and standing up for your teammates.

Disappointing: Lindros trade to NYR, I understand that when we traded for Lindros in 91 he has much more value. But still we practically gave the Nords (Av's) their Cup when we went to get a return it was meh.

I'm sorry, but with all the choices, how could that be your most favorite Flyers moment ever?

Mosetter27

I'm sorry, but with all the choices, how could that be your most favorite Flyers moment ever?

I explained below.. there are other moments that are my favorites but small things like that mean the most to me. unless the cup was won in 2010 or they won the cup in 04, or 97 or 00 or any other time we had great runs in the playoffs. that small moment means the most to me. it to me defines what it is to be a Flyer

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Favorite : definitely the 2010 run, getting in by a shootout with Boucher vs Lundqvist, beating the Devils with Lappy's sacrifice, Carcillo's OT goal was hilarous too. The epic comeback against Boston was the most exciting point, obviously. Just wow. Destroying Mtl, coming back from 2-0 to 2-2 against Chicago, Giroux's OT goal...

Deception : Pretty obvious, eh? Game 6 OT goal.

Still, that run was exceptionnal. Some of these moments are worth almost more than the cup. We made history.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Favorite: Primeau, Game 6, 2004 ECF.

Attending every home game in the 2010 run.

Dissapointing: Attending a certain home game in the 2010 run.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Best moment was 2010, especially the historic comeback against the Bruins. Also the Roenick 2004 OT goal to eliminate the Maple Leafs.

Worst was being swept in 1997 by Detroit in the SCF. After the Flyers had looked so good against the Rangers, I was pumped for an epic clash. Not even close; the Flyers were dominated in the first 3 games, and put up some fight in the fourth, but lost. It's one thing to lose the finals, but to not have a single game to hold as a good memory was awful.

G Money

Oct 15, 2011
Sudbury
fav - JR ot goal and comeback vs bruins

worst - pronger lappy and primeau finishing their careers the way they did and every time we are taken out of the playoffs

Rolex

Jan 25, 2005
Best-Taking down Boston for the first Cup
Worst-Lindros getting laid out in Pittsburgh, with the entire Penguin bench led by Kasparitus laughing about it and the Flyers not retaliating.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Best:
1) Primeau game tying goal in game 6, then Gagne winning the game in OT.
2) The Comeback against the Bruins in 2010
3) Lupul's OT goal in game 7 against the Caps.

Worst:
1) Kane's goal to clinch the cup.
2) The 3 goal lead we blew in game 6 of the 2009 playoffs at home to the Pens.
3) Losing game 7 in Tampa Bay.
4) Losing the Winter Classic in 2010, and then again in 2012.
5) For some reason, the Buffalo series back in 06 angers me greatly too.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Not much stung worse than Kane's overtime winner. Especially after the run we had that year.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Keith Primeau tying Game 6 vs Tampa in the dying minutes was amazing.

Blowing the 3-1 series lead against NJD in the 2000 ECF shattered me as a youngster.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Favorite moment was the 2010 cup run.

Most Disappointing is being at the 10-3 loss to Pitt in the playoffs. I wanted to watch a game from the 1st row for the first time and figured an elimination game would be awesome to see that close. Then around halfway through the 2nd period, I realized that I could of done the same thing with a nosebleed ticket because the stadium was so empty after they scored their 7th goal of the night

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Favourite moment: seeing the Flyers beat the Bruins to win their first Stanley Cup

Worst: other than this season, the worst moment was on November 10,1985 when Pelle Lindburgh died in his car crash. I also lost my Dad that day.....it was a dreadful day for me.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Favourite moment: seeing the Flyers beat the Bruins to win their first Stanley Cup

Worst: other than this season, the worst moment was on November 10,1985 when Pelle Lindburgh died in his car crash. I also lost my Dad that day.....it was a dreadful day for me.

I thought of Lindburgh right away, but (and I'm not criticizing your choice) it was more than a disappointment. I shed a lot of tears that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad