Brad Park - Pat Stapleton
Guy Lapointe - Keith Magnuson
Barry Beck - Barry Ashbee
Marty McSorely

Ken Dryden
Roger Crozier
Rollie Melanson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Good luck HO, just let me know of any changes that need to be made to this post.

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Historians have long-wondered what would happen if these two legendary franchises colided. You should all thank your lucky stars that you're alive to witness it.

The Habs are steeped in history, and have spawned some of the greatest players ever; Morenz, Richard, Harvey, Dagenais, Beliveau, Lafleur, Roy, etc.

The Tigers are similarly impressive, boasting such legendary alumni as Jamie Macoun, Bryan Fogarty, and my second cousin Stevie. Dave Dryden also graced the ice for the yellow-and-black, and we'll be consulting with him on many important issues. He's currently making up a list of his brother Ken's weaknesses, greatest fears, and food allergies.

It should also be noted that Aurora recently won the national Junior "A" title, while Montreal has not won a championship since Mark Messier had hair. Just sayin'.

I'm pretty stoked about the goaltending matchup in this series. Dryden and Tretiak went head-to-head on a number of occaisions (Summit Series, Challenge Cup '79, New Years Eve '75). It's just an iconic match-up that defines an era in international hockey history like few others.

If McSorely finds his way into the lineup, perhaps we'll see him and Probert engage in an iconic match-up of a different sort...

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
To the victor goes the spoils. Aurora pulls off a fairly significant upset over the Flyers, and this is your reward. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't...

Of course, the stand-out element of this series was touched on when Aurora beat Barrie: the Dryden vs. Tretiak match-up. There's just something so right about it. But this is seven games in North America, with mostly North American players in front of the two goalies. Another chapter in one of the most stories goalie rivalries in hockey history. I give the edge to Montreal, only because we know exactly what Dryden is capable of in a year of seven-game playoff series, while Tretiak is mostly suited to best-of-one events.

I said it in his team evaluation: this Montreal team isn't as impressive as the one from the last draft. Dryden's an all-time great goalie, but is he that much better than Bower (HO's goalie in the last draft) in the playoffs? They don't have the Big 3 on defence, or Gordie Howe.

But it's still a terrific Montreal team. Brad Park is back from the championship team. Guy Lapointe is a terrific No. 2 who'd be a No. 1 on a lot of teams. Stapleton's a solid No. 3. The depth isn't terrific, and I think Montreal could be in some trouble if injuries occur. I like Magnusson, Beck and Ashbee, but not in roles that require more than 15 minutes of ice time.

Aurora has the best defenceman in the series (Bourque) and for the first time ever, we see a team with a top three that isn't overmatched by Montreal's Big 3.

HO's from the GBC/Murphy/BM/pitseleh school when it comes to his bottom two lines: depth, strong defensive play, excellent character and some offensive ability. I think Armstong's better suited to fourth line play, but he's not out of place on the third line, and I think HO's bottom two lines are interchangeable, anyways.

The best forward in this series is Stan Mikita, and it's by a fairly significant margin. And he's got an old friend with him, too, in former linemate Kenny Wharram. Hopefully Montreal gets a little more out of Wharram than Chicago did during the playoffs in the 60s. Getting points while facing Backstrom and Ellis would be an accomplishment.

Sid Abel, a wonderful all-round forward, is likely the second best forward in the series. Babe Dye gives him a natural finisher, and Roberts will open up a lot of room for both, even if he might be a little out-of-place in a second line role.

arrbez has a very gritty team, and he's going to need his forwards to punish Montreal if he's going to have a shot. While you won't throw Mikita or Abel off their game with a physical barrage, you might be able to do it with guys like Sid Smith, Wharram and Dye, and Montreal doesn't have the depth you'd associate with a typical HO team.

I'd say that arrbez has a definite edge behind the bench with Tommy Ivan going up against Jack Adams. Adams was great, but Ivan rates among the top five or 10 all-time.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'm planning for Linseman to get to know Mr. Mikita pretty well this series. I'm not sure how Mikita's temper will be considered here, because it's almost a tale of two careers. He went from being one of the least disciplined players in the league to one of the most disciplined almost overnight. The catch is that he had pretty much equal success in both phases of his career, winning 2 Art Ross', a Cup, and a retroactive Conn Smyth as a bad boy, and winning 2 Art Ross' and 2 Hart's as a choir boy. Either way, if anyone can take a guy off his game, it's Linseman.

In fact, I think I'll slide him onto the checking line right now. I think a Linseman-Backstrom-Ellis line is ideally suited to shadowing his top line, as all of them are lightning-fast, and won't be at a physical disadvantage against an extremely small Smith-Mikita-Wharram line.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Guys, I’m leaving for my vacation this afternoon and I’ll be out of town for about a week. Internet access will be infrequent at best, but of course I’ll check back here when I have the chance.

Here’s my take on the series. I know I wrote a lot, but I’m basically trying to anticipate and respond to an entire week’s worth of discussion before I leave. Thanks to the GMs in advance for voting. Good luck Arrbez; congrats if you win, and good effort if you lose.

========

The Montreal Canadiens’ advantages

Superior playoff experience. The Canadiens’ roster is full of proven playoff veterans who raised their level of play in the post-season. The Canadiens feature four Conn Smythe winners (Mikita, Dryden, Dye & Crozier) and four players have led the playoffs in goals, assists or points (Mikita, Abel, Dye & Stapleton). Tough, gritty defensive players like Leswick, Westfall and Ashbee were also known for saving their best performances for the postseason. The Habs roster has won the Stanley Cup a combined 52 times, roughly double the amount that Aurora has. Finally, the Habs have a solid amount of international experience as well: five Canadiens were members of Canada’s victorious team in the 1972 Summit Series (Mikita, Dryden, Park Lapointe, Stapleton). Despite the historic performances of Henderson and Esposito Kharlamov, it was Brad Park who was named Canada’s MVP. Overall the Habs have superior success, both at the team individual level, in the playoffs and in international tournaments.

Stronger depth. The Canadiens have stronger depth at every position. The Habs’ fourth line features Leswick and Skov, two linemates from the Detroit dynasty. Leswick was a tough, fiery player who attempted to, and usually succeeded in, throwing opponents off their game, while Skov relied on strong positional play to restrict passing and force shooters to take low-probability shots from bad angles. Westfall was the top shutdown winger on Orr’s Bruins and later captained the Islanders for many years (including leading them from a 3-0 series deficit to a game 7 victory where he scored the only goal). On defense, Beck provides significant size, toughness, and the ability to quarterback a powerplay while Ashbee provides veteran leadership and strong positioning. In net, Crozier has a Conn Smythe and Melanson is a proven backup on a dynasty team. The role of depth becomes even more crucial because the Habs are well-rested while the Tigers are coming off a grueling 7-game series. The Tigers’ fourth line features a decent combination of individual talents, but I’m not sure if it comes together. There’s a goon (yes, who had some talent, but required Yzerman to help him reach his offensive potential), a skilled, two-way pest, and a power forward. Only one of those players (Linsemen) really seems fit for fourth-line duty, as Probert contributes little and Nolan won’t be able to provide much offense in limited ice time and was never great defensively. The Tigers’ bottom two defensemen, while solid, were never regarded as the top defenders in their league and lack the size, mobility and playoff experience of Beck and Ashbee. Hern is an intriguing pick but Irbe is a very marginal goalie in an all-time draft. Overall the Canadiens have stronger depth at every position.

Better goaltending. While I appreciate the historical significance of Dryden vs. Tretiak, in a seven-game series, primarily involving NHL players and an NHL style, Dryden is far more proven. Even though Dryden lacks longevity, he was one of the most dominant goalies in NHL history, with 1 Conn Smythe, 6 Stanley Cups, 5 first-team all-star selections and 5 Vezinas. Dryden is proven as an underdog and as a favorite. He nearly singlehandedly won the Stanley Cup in 1971, shutting down Orr’s Bruins and Mikita and Hull’s Hawks. Montreal was facing a higher-seeded team in each of its three matchups that spring, and the “big three” on defense was not yet in existence. Later in his career, on a powerhouse team, Dryden also used his cool, calm demeanor to give his teammates confidence and open up their game. I’m in the group of GMs that thinks that Tretiak is a strong, capable starting goalie, but he lacks Dryden’s year-after-year consistency and proven playoff performances in the NHL.

Top-end scoring. It’s worth mentioning that my team has two multiple Art Ross winners (Mikita and Dye), versus none for the Tigers. Dye and Abel have both led the league in goals at least twice.

Countering the Tigers’ advantages.

Coaching. While Adams is a good coach (won three Stanley Cups, named coach of the year twice) Ivan (three Stanley Cups and six first-place regular-season finishes) is superior (top 5-8 all-time, I think). The Canadiens can minimize Ivan’s superior coaching record through home ice advantage, which prevents Ivan from getting his preferred match-ups in 4 of 7 games. I also think that the Canadiens’ team is very well-suited to Adams style; it features many composed, professional veterans with track records of strong leadership (Mikita, Abel, Roberts, Armstrong, Westfall, Magnuson) and two-way play. Ivan, while a great coach, might not have been the best choice for Aurora. Would a coach who focused on two-way play so much be willing to play Lafontaine, Probert and Ozolinsh?

Size & toughness on Aurora’s second line. Aurora’s second line is very large and tough. Their sheer strength could potentially pose a threat. I believe the Habs can respond to this for the following reasons. First, as shown during the 1997 Cup Finals, it was disciplined positional play, not brute strength, that was used to shut down Lindros and Leclair. In the first three rounds, every team was throwing their biggest, strongest players at Lindros, and he dominated. Only the smooth, sublime Lidstrom (in the Cup finals) was able to slow The Big E down. On the Habs, Brad Park and Pat Stapleton are both very strong positional defenders. While they were fairly large and strong, it was their disciplined positional play (and offense) that allowed them to become all-star defenders. Glen Skov, Ed Westfall and Ken Mosdell were strong positional defensive forwards who relied on anticipating the play and poke-checking the puck out of harm’s way. Thus, my strong, positional players should be able to offset Lindros’s size and strength, just like it did in the 1997 Cup finals.

With that said, if there are people who doubt that strategy, I do have several tough, large players who can play Lindros’s style. Barry Beck (6’4”, 215 lbs), Marty McSorely (6’2”, 235 lbs) and George Armstrong (6’2”, 220 lbs) have proven repeatedly that they’re willing to take on opponents’ biggest, toughest players. They’re ready for a fight too—if I lose a #6 defenseman or third-line forward for five minutes and Aurora loses their #2 centre, I’ll have an advantage. Lapointe and Park, while lacking Lindros’s size, were both aggressive hitters, and can wear Lindros down in a series.

Small top line for Montreal. While my top line is quite small, Mikita and Wharram faced the largest, toughest defensemen routinely during their primes. Aside from Aurora’s second line (and I already discussed how I’d deal with them) and Probert (who won’t see much ice time) there’s nobody on the Tigers that is significantly larger than what Mikita and Wharram are used to seeing.

Most importantly, Aurora’s checking line (Linseman/Backstrom/Ellis), which will presumably face the Mikita line, has an average size of 5’10” 178 lbs; the Mikita line has an average size of 5’9.3”, 169 lbs. I don’t think that a 9-pound, 2/3 of an inch advantage is significant. The only defensemen of above-average size are Bourque (I give him his due as the best defenseman in the series) and Ramage (a player of Mikita’s caliber would significantly outplay Ramage, if he were given significant icetime).

Strategy. I expect my top line to face a tough battle from Aurora’s top defense pair and third or fourth forward line; but my top line’s speed, stickhandling ability and the presence of a two-time Hart, four-time Art Ross winner should allow them to prevail. Also, if Aurora focuses too much on my top line, my second line (with Babe Dye, a two-time Art Ross and Conn Smythe winner, and Sid Abel, Hart-winner and two-time goal-scoring leader) can step up and provide enough offense to win.

I have home ice advantage. My strategy will involve some line-matching. I will play my fourth (defensive) line, plus my strong positional defenders like Stapleton and Park, against the Tigers’ second line in an effort to minimize their scoring and physical play. My third line (very strong defensively) plus Lapointe and Magnuson (two excellent defensive blueliners, both of whom were hard hitters) will guard Aurora’s top line. Dryden will start every game barring exceptional circumstances.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I suppose I'll give my full take on it now:

Aurora Tigers' Advantages

Checking Line
Not that my checking line is necessarily the best in the draft, but I feel that Linseman-Backstrom-Ellis is ideally suited to stopping the very quick (but also very small) line of Smith-Mikita-Wharram. I plan to counter speed with speed. Backstrom and Ellis were both defensive aces, relying on great speed and hockey smarts to shadow some of the best players in the game. Backstrom routinely had the assignment of covering the likes of Esposito and Mikita. He did so brilliantly, coming away with 6 championships when all was said and done. On top of his defensive brilliance, many feel he would have scored at a much higher level if he wasn't behind Beliveau and Henri Richard on the scoring depth charts. I believe he would have a few Selke's if the award had existed. Ellis is very similar, being asked to shadow the Hull's and Mahovlich's of the NHL, and Kharlamov in the Summit Series. After the Paul Henderson goal with 34 second left, it was Ellis who was put on the ice to hold the lead along with Esposito and Mahovlich. Not only was he an elite defensive player, but a consistant offensive producer as well. And last but not least, Ken Lineman. Not only was he a great two-way player, but he could get a player off his game like no other. Arguably the best pest in NHL histroy. We'll be relying on him to pester Stan Mikita, who was one of the biggest hot-heads in the league for a good portion of his career. If anyone can get Stan to snap, it'll be Linseman. Linseman also had exceptional playmaking ability, and raised his game to another level in the post season. He lead his team in playoff scoring 5 times, and with over a PPG in the post-season, and totals of 25, 22, 20 points, he's certainly a player who can be difference maker. His playmaking abilities also mesh well with the reliable goal-scoring of both Ellis and Backstrom.

Defense
I feel Ray Bourque is not only the best player in this series, but the best defenceman by a good margin. Yes, Park was in Orr's shadow for much of his career, but at the end of the day, he was a 7-time NHL first or second all-star. Bourque was a 19-time allstar, with 5 Norris trophies and 2 Hart runner-ups to boot. Park is certainly the second best defender in this series. Goodfellow and Lapointe are fairly even IMO. Savard has one more allstar selection, while Goodfellow has more first-team selections, and a Hart Trophy to boot (one of only 5 defencemen to ever win it). I feel both Sologubov and Coulter are superior to Stapleton and Magnuson. The bottom pairings look very much like a wash to me, both bringing size, some grit, and some offensive punch. All in all, I feel I have the best two pairings, and 4 of the best 6 defenders in this series.

Top Line
While it's certainly not the best top-line in the draft, my Bobrov-Lafontaine-Balderis trio has one major strength: they're ridiculously fast. All three of these guys could not only fly, but dangle at top speed. If the Canadiens checking line and top pairing is indeed occupied with the Lindros line, then I feel my top line can exploit the Holmstrom-Mosdell-Armstrong-Lapointe-Magnuson unit that HO has said will pair up against them. I would not feel confident at all in Magnuson's ability to contain any of my players on the outside, and Holmstrom is actually one of the worst skaters I've ever seen in the NHL. He does one thing really well, but he's not suited to a checking role at all, and will certainly not be able to keep up with Balderis on the right side. I don't recall any of the other players to be exceptionally fast either, although I could be wrong about Mosdell in that regard.

Coaching
I think this has already been touched on, but in a series that will rely so heavily on match-ups, I think having the better coach is a significant advantage. And Ivan is definitly a step above Adams.

Countering the Canadiens' Advantages

Goaltending
While Dryden certainly is the more proven commodity, I feel the need to make my case for Tretiak here. By my count, these two goaltenders faced off in the Summit Series in 1972, The New Years eve classic in 1975, and the Challenge Cup in 1979. At the supremely young age of 20, Tretiak had more wins, more game MVP's, and a better save % in the Summit Series than Dryden did, despite losing. In what many call the greatest game ever played, the Montreal Canadiens faced off against the Red Army team on New Years eve 1975 in Montreal. The game ended in a 3-3 tie. Dryden faced 13 shots, Tretiak faced 38. In 1979, Tretiak once again bested Dryden in the Challenge Cup, which pitted the Soviets against the top players in the NHL (basically Team Canada and a couple Swedes). I'm not saying Tretiak was necessarily better than Dryden, but head-to-head, he did outplay him more often than not.

The Lindros Strategy
While it's true, Lindros was slowed down considerably in the 1997 finals by Detroit, I think replicating this is easier said than done. To start with, Detroit boasted a phenominal defence corps, lead by Lidstrom, Fetisov, Konstantinov, and Murphy. Second, they had excellent defensive role players in Lapointe, Draper, Sandstrom, etc. Not to mention two Selke-winning centres in Fedorov and Yzerman, and the greatest coach of all time. Not to mention Mike Vernon playing Conn Smyth hockey. When all this is keying on one player (Lindros was the engine that made Philly run), he's bound to have issues. However, I feel that Lidstrom is a better match against Lindros in this regard, and that Stapleton will have issues. On top of Lindros and Leclair, this line also has the super-fast Jeremy Roenick, which adds a dimension of speed and agressive bodychecking that Renberg never did. Not to mention great offensive ability. All in all, I think my second line will cause more problems than some would let on.

I'd have more, but I'm late for work. Maybe tonight...

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think the Canadiens will rely heavily on their big-3 defensemen. While not the same big-3 as last time, they have two #1 defenseman and a #2. Those three guys should eat up at least 75 mins/night, leaving Ashbee/Magnusson/Beck to play around 15 mins each.

I would also like to see Montreal face off their third line against the first line of Aurora. Mosdell has the speed and defensive awareness to keep Lafontaine in check. There is also enough scoring ability on that line to keep them honest. Leswick-Skov-Westfall is one of the best defensive lines in the draft and I think that they matchup against the second line of Aurora very well. Skov is big and strong enough to handle Lindros.

Montreal has a slight edge in top offensive talent with Mikita, Abel and Dye beating out Lafontaine, Lindros and Bobrov.

I also see Montreal with a slight edge in net.

Aurora will have to take advantage of a couple of things. One is that they have superior defensive depth, meaning they won't have to rely on their top guys as much as much, which could play a role if the series is stretched out. Personally, I'd put Coulter with Bourque to give him some more offensive freedom, but that's not a cut and dry decision.

Secondly, Aurora's top line will have to try and take advantage of Montreal's third line. If I were HO, I'd have Peplinski fill in for Holmstrom, as I feel that it gives them a little better matchup against Bobrov.

Aurora's edge physically will have to come into play. They will need to try to wear down the Canadiens and drag this series out in order to win.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I think Montreal has the best forward in Mikita and their big three on defense stand out, probably an advantage in net with Dryden.

Aurora has the best defensman overall however and I love that second line, they have more sandpaper in the linup as well.

Line matchups will be key and Montreal having home ice might give them a slight edge.

Another rediculously close matchup that'll take some more time to determine who wins.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Having taken some things into account, I've inserted Troy Murray into the lineup for this series. I feel he, Nolan, and Probert can provide some excellent energy from the 4th line, and they all have a crash-and-bang mentality. As a Selke winner, he also brings some excellent defensive awareness to that line. Not bad offensively either, with a 99 point season under his belt. They won't see a ton of icetime, but when they do, you'll hear them. I have vivid memories of Bob Probert absolutely rag-dolling opposing defences back in the day. He was much more than just a fighter. Nolan may also see some time on the top line in place of Balderis for the occaisional shift, just to spice things up.

I plan to exploit the physical advantage my team has in this series. If Montreal truly is leaning on just 3 defencemen for the majority of the games, then I feel a constant pounding is in order, and I think I have the ability to put on a devastating physical forecheck.

With Lindros and Leclair having a few inches and 30-50 pounds on the biggest of the Habs players they'll face, I like my chances in the corners with that line. At 6'1, 110 lbs Roenick is no slouch either. Lindros is the key though, and at nearly 6'5, 250, he's far bigger than anyone the Canadiens have. Their largest player (Beck) gives up 2 inches and over 30 pounds.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1:

Montreal comes out flying at home. Mikita gets an early goal when he strips the puck off Probert, stick handles past Ramage and Numminen, fakes a slapper and wrists it mid blocker side.

This time it's defensively where Mikita helps, Lindros is powering through the Montreal defence towards Dryden.Mikita gets in his way, strips the puck off him, passes up to Wharram and gets flattened for his efforts. Tretiak stops Wharram on the breakaway.

Tretiak and Dryden battle through the second period with both men turning aside 11 shots.

Early in the third, Bourque strips the puck off Holmstrom, passes up to Bobrov, Bobrov and Balderis give and go to take the zone, Balderis passes back to the trailer Bourque who's laser accuracy beats Dryden to tie it up.

Both goalies shut the door in regulation.

In the 1st overtime, Lindros bowls over Lapointe, keeps the puck, passes to Roenick, who passes to Leclair, Dryden stops the one-timer, rebound to Lindros, chips it in for the win. Sending Aurora up 1-0 in the series.

Game 2:

Aurora parlays it's success in game one to some early momentum. Goodfellow intercepts a Abel to Dye pass and rockets off like he was a forward. Goodfellow one on one with Dryden... Dryden stacks the pads!

Aurora keeps pressing, Lafontaine dipsee-doodles past Ashbee, passes to Bobrov for the one timer, glove save by Dryden!

The pressure is maintained, the Tiger's checking line pins Montreal in their own zone, Linesman strips Beck of the puck, passes to Backstrom, back to Linesman...scores through the five-hole!

Early in the 2nd Montreal starts to get momentum back when Park sends Abel on a breakaway where his patience gets Tretiak out of position for the tying goal.

Tretiak and Dryden hold the fort in the 3rd until late in the period, Montreal on a powerplay, Mikita to Lapointe, fakes the shot, back to Mikita, cross-ice pass to Dye... SCORES! Montreal ties the series up.

Game 3:

With momentum on their side, Montreal roles into Aurora with their heads held high.

Armstrong powers Montreal into an early lead by winning a battle in the corner with Sologubov, coming out of the corner and roofing a backhand.

Holmstrom increases the lead, scoring with a PP goal on a deflected Lapointe shot.

No scoring in the 2nd.

Lafontaine scores to get Aurora back in the game.

As Aurora mounts a strong offence, Armstrong intercepts a pass from Coulter to Roenick. Breakaway for Armstrong...SCORES!

Montreal has a 2-1 series lead.

Game 4:

Aurora comes out hard with the fans support. Lindros opens the scoring, and Bourque follows up to get a 2-0 lead.

Mikita scores a goal with seconds left in the first.

The momentum carries to the 2nd with Abel scoring early.

Dryden and Tretiak hold things down.

Mikita sets up Smith early in the 3rd for the go ahead goal.

Aurora clamps down defensively, but, can't beat Dryden.

With the extra attacker on the ice, Lindros passes to Lafontaine, back to Lindros, to Leclair, tie game!

This one's going to overtime!

In overtime, Backstrom gets an early breakway, scoring glove side.

Aurora ties the series up at home.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 5:

• Aurora comes out flying early Roenick, to Lindros, to Leclair, back to Lindros, stopped by Dryden!
  • Balderis stick handles past Beck, wrist shot... STOPPED BY DRYDEN!
  • Lafontaine on a breakway, left right left, pulls up, fake, waits... waits... roofs it... NO! Stopped by Dryden!
  • On the counter attack, Park, up to Wharram, over to Mikita, slapshot... SCORES!
  • Aurora keeps pressing, but Dryden turns away all comers.
  • Mikita undresses Ramage, shot, Tretiak the save.
  • Abel, passes through Linesman's legs, shot by Dye... STOPPED by Tretiak.
  • Aurora begins to tire, Montreal presses but can't beat Tretiak. Montreal wins 1-0.

Montreal takes a 3-2 series lead.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 6:
  • The first is all Aurora, shots are 17 to 4. But Dryden is increadible, turning them all away.
  • The second is more of the same, shots 12-6 for Aurora. Still no score.
  • Ivan is litterally ripping out his hair trying to solve Dryden, but the Tigers just can't do it. Shots 14-5 in the third. NO SCORE!

This one's going to overtime.
  • The Tigers are pressing hard still, but their confidence is clearly cracking. Midway through the first overtime, Stan Mikita gets a breakaway off a lazy pass by Coulter, dekes right but keeps his stick trailing left, roofs the one hander...GOAL!

Montreal wins 1-0 in overtime.

The Montreal Canadiens win the series 4 games to 2.

Three Stars:
1st: Ken Dryden
2nd: Stan Mikita
3rd: Eric Lindros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad