Didier Pitre - Bill Hajt
Ted Harris

Glenn Hall
Normie Smith
Charlie Hodge

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Offense: With Taylor moved up front, I think that Nanaimo has the advantage on the first line. Cleghorn may be the weakest link on the second lines which probably gives an advantage to Saskatoon in that regard. Lemaire may be the most prolific scorer in either team’s bottom six, but I think Nanaimo combats that with depth and both teams should be pretty even when it comes to bottom six scoring. With Duschene, Potvin, and Desjardins, Saskatoon may get slightly more scoring from the back end.

Defense: Potvin is the best defenseman in the series, but I give the depth advantage to Nanaimo. Nanaimo also has a better collection of defensive forwards in the bottom six (though Saskatoon’s third line will be very tough defensively). I also think that Nanaimo will get better defensive play from their top-6 forwards. Combined with Day’s knowledge of defense, I think overall Nanaimo has the edge.

Goaltending: Hall is a top-5 goalie of all time, but Parent is a clutch goaltender with two Conn Smythes to Hall’s one. Hall had a more consistent career while Parent had a meteoric peak. I’d say it’s a very close matchup, but I’d give the slight edge to Hall.

Coaching: Ross was a good coach in his own right, but Day is a top-5 coach all time. I think this is a clear advantage for Nanaimo.

A couple of notes about Nanaimo’s strategy:

Taylor has been moved to the top line and Pitre has been moved back to defense for this series. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I don’t think that Saskatoon is punishing or big enough to take advantage of a smaller first line. Lalonde is more than capable of creating room for his linemates, and the first line has an incredible combination of size and skill to work with. Second, our third pairing will only get around 12-14 minutes/night, and it’s a bit of a waste having Taylor back there and doing spot duty up front. Third, Pitre was bigger and stronger than Taylor and was also a great backwards skater (it was said he could skate backwards as fast as he could forwards) and had a great shot, making him a better candidate to play on the point. If the Pitre experiment doesn’t work out, we feel comfortable swapping them back around or inserting Harris into the lineup with Hajt. The second scenario would also give us the option to put either Pitre or Taylor in Cleghorn’s place up front.

With home ice advantage, there will be some line matching on our part. Our third line will get the matchup with Saskatoon’s first line. Mahovlich was big but not overly physical, and we feel that line has the speed and defensive awareness to keep up with Saskatoon’s first line. The fourth line will play against Saskatoon’s second line. O’Reilly should be able to keep Hadfield in check, and Marcotte/Risebrough should be able to contain Hawkerchuk/Mosienko. We also feel that the physical play of that line should be able to wear down that smaller pair. But we also feel comfortable enough with the defensive awareness of our top two lines to have them match against any of Saskatoon’s lines

Zetterberg4Captain*

To ensure that Duchesne and Westley play as little as possible this series Denis Potvin will be playing upwards of 35 minutes and my second pairing will be playing 25 minutes each. Barilko, Westley and Duchesne will be rotating playing with Potvin with Barilko and Westley occasionally playing to give the top 3 a breather. Duchesne will mainly be used as the quarterback on the PP and not to much more.

I know this is a little late but I feel I should give my team an analysis because I didn't have time to when the season just ended. It should be up tonight. Good luck Pitseleh, I am looking forward to a great series!

Zetterberg4Captain*

I think Saskatoon has Dennis Hull playing out of position. to the best of my knowledge he was always a left wing.

Yes, I am not sure what made me think that Hull was a center. Hockeydb lists Ogrodnick just as a forward, did he play some center, or just both wings? I do know his first team all-star appearance was at LW though. Last draft I had a problem with to many centers, now I don't have enough! :(

EDIT: I found that Ogrodnick converted to LW upon entering the NHL so I suppose he would probably be a better option then Hull at center. I'll have to think it over.

Last edited by a moderator:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Yes, I am not sure what made me think that Hull was a center. Hockeydb lists Ogrodnick just as a forward, did he play some center, or just both wings? I do know his first team all-star appearance was at LW though. Last draft I had a problem with to many centers, now I don't have enough! :(
I don't recall Ogrodnick playing center. Pete Mahovlich's best years were as a center although he also played some left wing.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
To ensure that Duchesne and Westley play as little as possible this series Denis Potvin will be playing upwards of 35 minutes and my second pairing will be playing 25 minutes each. Barilko, Westley and Duchesne will be rotating playing with Potvin with Barilko and Westley occasionally playing to give the top 3 a breather. Duchesne will mainly be used as the quarterback on the PP and not to much more.

I wouldn't try to minimize Wesley's ice time like that. He's very steady and consistent. He won't win you a game singlehandedly but he very rarely makes mistakes. Maybe I'm overrating him, but I could see Wesley giving you 15-18 solid minutes per game.

Also, you might be better off scratching Duchesne for the series. With Potvin, Carlyle and Desjardins you already have three strong puckmovers, all of whom could function as powerplay quarterback. Keeping Duchesne (who wasn't great defensively nor very physical) seems redundant. Snepsts will give you very little offense but he'll give you significant size and toughness, and steady defensive zone coverage. Against a team like Clippers, with so much speed and skill, you're much better off with Snepsts, I think.

Zetterberg4Captain*

I wouldn't try to minimize Wesley's ice time like that. He's very steady and consistent. He won't win you a game singlehandedly but he very rarely makes mistakes. Maybe I'm overrating him, but I could see Wesley giving you 15-18 solid minutes per game.

Also, you might be better off scratching Duchesne for the series. With Potvin, Carlyle and Desjardins you already have three strong puckmovers, all of whom could function as powerplay quarterback. Keeping Duchesne (who wasn't great defensively nor very physical) seems redundant. Snepsts will give you very little offense but he'll give you significant size and toughness, and steady defensive zone coverage. Against a team like Clippers, with so much speed and skill, you're much better off with Snepsts, I think.

Westley will likely be playing the fourth most minutes.

This is how I see it:
Potvin- 30-35 minutes
Carlyle- 20-25 minutes
Desjardins- 20-25 minutes
Westley- 12-17 minutes
Barilko- 10-12 minutes
Duchesne/Snepsts- 8-10 minutes

Your suggestion of playing Snepsts over Duchesne is actually one I haven't thought of, but I like it! I will post my official roster tonight, hopefully along with my team review!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Right now, Lebda, I hate you. Or maybe it should be I hate Siberia for picking a team geared for success in the regular season. Even though I picked you to win, I thought Siberia had enough support to pull it off. Instead of beating Siberia in five or six, and watching Nanaimo and Edmonton play a tough, seven-game series, I get Edmonton for the toughest series of the second round.

But that doesn't mean this will be a cake walk for Nanaimo. I think Nanaimo will pull it off, the Clippers are an excellent team. I think if Nanaimo had a team like he had in the last draft, with all that grit and toughness, he'd cruise through this series. But this isn't the Nanaimo of the last draft.

Fatigue will be a factor. Nanaimo enjoyed a first-round bye. Saskatoon just went through a challenging, seven-game series vs. Siberia. Saskatoon needs to capitalize on Nanaimo's lethargy and rust in the first game or two.

The goalie match-up is fascinating. If it was the regular season, Nanaimo would have the big edge. But this is the playoffs. Even though Parent has one more ring and one more Conn than Hall, the playoff perception is much larger. I think Nanaimo has the edge in goal, as Hall had some excellent playoffs, but it's a marginal edge.

Saskatoon has the best defenceman in the series, but Nanaimo has much better depth. The Blues top three is close to the calibre of Nanaimo's top three, but give Nanaimo the edge in the 4-5-6.

Versatility is Nanaimo's biggest weapon. Guys like Lalonde, Taylor, Pitre and Siebert can thrive up front or on D.

I have concerns about Nanaimo's first line with Taylor replacing Pitre. I think Pitre gave that line an extra physical dimension. Lalonde was tough, but will he be able to open up room for his ubber-skilled wingers against Saskatoon? And you're going to need that against Saskatoon. Potvin and Barilko are very tough. Lebda has a lot of gritty wingers - Smyl, MacLean, Hadfield - who could be very effective against Nanaimo's slick wingers.

Incidentally, P. Mahovlich played C. And he's better suited to fourth line C duties anyways. Ogrodnick-Hadfield or Ogrodnick-Hull isn't an overwhelming 1-2 LW punch (okay, it's probably the worst in the draft) but at least you have everyone playing at the proper position.

Nanaimo definitely has an edge in the coaching. As good as Saskatoon's bottom two lines are, Nanaimo's might be even better. The wingers on those lines are as good as it gets.

I think Nanaimo wins this in around six games, but it should be a better match-up than you'd expect in a 1 vs. 6 series.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I have concerns about Nanaimo's first line with Taylor replacing Pitre. I think Pitre gave that line an extra physical dimension. Lalonde was tough, but will he be able to open up room for his ubber-skilled wingers against Saskatoon? And you're going to need that against Saskatoon. Potvin and Barilko are very tough. Lebda has a lot of gritty wingers - Smyl, MacLean, Hadfield - who could be very effective against Nanaimo's slick wingers.

Lalonde regularly faced Joe Hall, Sprague Cleghorn, Ken Randall, and Buck Boucher while Bentley faced off against Red Horner, Art Coulter, Jack Stewart, Butch Bouchard and Ken Reardon. The hope is that the top line can outskate Saskatoon, as we have three of the fastest players in draft on that line. Also, with home ice, we're hoping to get the matchups we want, getting our first line away from the Lemaire line as much as possible.

That line will be creating a lot off the rush through the counterattack.

If Hadfield is moved up a line, you'll see O'Reilly's line face off against them to try and neutralize them. Hadfield is the only legitimate physical threat in Saskatoon's top-6, and we feel comfortable with our fourth line matching up to either of Saskatoon's top 2 lines.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Underdog Saskatoon Blues win over Home Town Clippers Series Opener.

Its a hot and muggy tonight in Nanaimo but the Clippers faithful don't seem to mind. The talk today has centered around the condition of the ice. The weather combined with a faltering ice plant left pools of water on the ice when arena workers arrived this morning to prepare for the game. Talk of cancelling or relocating the game has been averted however as the Nanaimo arena staff has done a superb job in getting the surface game ready.

Puck drops in the first period and Saskatoon gets the jump. Nanaimo looks nervous in front of their hometown fans. The normally defensively stout Earl Siebert coughs the puck up under heavy pressure from Hadfield and in a blink of an eye the puck is off Hawerchuk's stick to Moseinko and into the net. Glenn Hall would like that one back as he looked to be caught unaware. The goal bouys Saskatoon and the sticks tighten for Nanaimo. Saskatoon carries the play and generates most of the chances. Denis Potvin scores on the powerplay and Saskatoon has a 2-0 lead before Nanaimo even has a shot on net. The period closes out with dominance shown by Saskatoon and a 14-4 advantage on the shot clock.

Whatever Hap Day said in the dressing seemed to work as Nanaimo comes out much stronger in the second period and starts to resemble the team everyone expected from them. Adopted hometown son Cyclone Taylor leads the way with two glorious scoring chances right off the hop when he sped by Barillko let a shot go and pounced on his own rebound. Bernie Parent was able to get a skate blade on the rebound attempt with a stunning save and Taylor was denied. The pace opens up for a bit with both teams trading chances but it seems the quality of the ice is becoming a factor when a wide open net is bobbled by Odie Cleghorn. Saskatoon also misses a glorious chance when Mike Gartner fails to convert a nice 2 on 1 feed from Peter Stastny. The period closes out with no scoring and scoring chances even.

The players come out for the third period to find the ice not flooded but just scraped. This playes into Saskatoons game plan as they put a blanket on Nanaimo and don't seem interested in scoring at all. The effort is there for Nanaimo but passes are missed and Lalonde and Taylor can't work up much speed. On the few opportunities that come, Bernie Parent is at the top of his game and isn't letting anything by him. Stan Smyl caps the night with an empty net goal and the visiting Blues take a 1-0 series lead.

Captain Sylvio Mantha thought the Blues had the momentum carry over from their prevous series and caught them flat footed. When the Clippers finally got going it was too late with Parent playing like he was and ice conditions deteriating chances were at a premium and we couldn't convert. "We'll be much better prepared next game"

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Clippers Tie Series despite Herorics by Bernie Parent, Taylor OT Hero

With cooler weather today and diligent work by Nanaimo's arena staff, the ice isn't expected to be the factor is was in game 1.

Its the Clippers turn to come out strong at the drop off the puck. With the hometown still strong and in fact even louder after games 1 loss, the Clippers come out looking better then at any point in game 1. With the speed game of Nanaimo going it doesn't take long for Saskatoon to start hauling down the Nanaimo players. Six minutes into the game and the Clippers find themselves on a 5 on 3 powerplay. Lalonde controls the powerplay and sets up some glorious chances but Bernie Parent is standing on his head. The raucious crowd gets quiet when Gartner jumps on a Potvin pass out exiting the penalty box and puts one by Hall on a breakaway. The goal take some steam out of the Clippers play and gives life to Saskatoon. The two teams settle into a fast paced game and exchange numerous scoring chances. Glenn Hall settles into the game and is playing well. Bernie Parent is playing even better.

With the hometown team having failed to score a goal yet in the series, coach Hap Day isn't into line matching. This makes for some sensational hockey as both teams roll their lines. Its also a goaltending clinic as Parent and Hall are equal to the task of everything shown their way. The fast paced hockey continues throughout the period and the referrees swallow their whistle and let the two teams play. With 32 seconds left in the period, Lalonde springs Taylor in alone but is once again denied by Parent. The frustration is apparent when Taylor smashes his stick into the glass.

The third period starts with a nervous tension coming over the crowd. Six periods into the series and the Clippers have been stymied by Bernie Parent. Its not for lack of effort or opportunities for Nanaimo and the crowd is left wondering what is it going to take to get one by Parent? The period starts off and the pace is even quicker then the first two. Newsy Lalonde has taken this team on his shoulders and is a threat everytime he steps on the ice. Denis Potvin is also playing strong and that point is exemplified when he scores trailing a rush and depositing the puck past Hall on a rebound. There's a definite hush over the crowd now as Saskatoon has the 2-0 lead half way into the third period. Coach Day calls a time out but its Lalonde who's doing most of the talking. When play resumes the Clippers come after the Blues relentlessly. The Blues seem content to sit back and protect their lead much like game 1. The pressure pays off for the Clippers however ands its Terry O'Reilly who is able to finally put one behind Parent at the 16:32 mark of the third period. With the building re-energized and the Clippers coming at the Blues strong they fire 4 more shots but Parent turns them back. The last minute of play in the period brings Hall to the bench for the extra attacker and its Adam Oates who finds an open Earl Siebert, coming in from the point and he scores with 33 seconds left in the game.

Overtime starts and its bedlam in the Namaio arena. With new energy in the building and in the Clippers and Saskatoon on their heels. Overtime starts much like the third ended. The Clippers flood Saskatoon zone and its Newsy Lalonde who sets up Cyclone Taylor in the slot for the overtime marker putting one in under the crossbar and by an exhausted Parent.

Newsy Lalonde talked about how confident they were coming out into the third but he's never seen a goaltending performance like the one he witnessed tonight in Parent and he wondered if his team was ever going to score. "I felt much better tonight and the crowd gave us such a boost, hats off to Saskatoon and especially Parent"

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Clippers steal one under controversy at Sask Place

Game three switches to Sask Place in Saskatoon. The entire province has gotten behind the plucky Blues teams. Strories of the Blues playoff march have dominated the media throughout all of Saskatchewan. There is great anticipation for the puck drop tonight.

The first period gets underway to a delerious crowd, who just get louder each round. The Saskatoon Team is energized and Nanaimo are firing on all cylinders now after a slow start. The two teams are off to a blistering pace and are both on top of their game. Coach Ross has for the most part matched up Lemaire's line with Lalondes and while successful keeping them off the scoresheet Lalonde continues to be a threat every time he steps on the ice. The scoring opens with Hawerchuk deflecting a Potvin point shot and Saskatoon ends the period with the 1-0 lead.

The second period starts with Nanaimo pressing. Art Ross keeps his line matchups successful for the most part and while lalondes line is stifled it allows Adam Oates some more freedom out there. Oates consistanly finds Roy Conacher who gets the better of the Carlye matchup time and time again. Conacher finally scores on his fifth scoring opportunity on a great deke that gets behind Bernie Parent who's keeping up his stellar series to date. The period ends tied at 1-1

The third period starts and the Saskatoon crowd keeps up the volume. Bernie! Bernie! Bernie! is the chant of the game. The underdog Blues team keep taking it to Nanaimo and match them in scoring opportunities. Their play pays off when Potvin sends a hard pass to Hadfield beside the net and deftly one times the pass upstairs and over a sprawling Glenn Hall. The crowd erupts and they can sense a win tonight. Coach Day calls another early timeout to try and stem the Saskatoon momentum. The timeout seems to have worked as Naniamo comes at Saskatoon in waves. Saskatoon is content to protect their lead and let Parent do what he does best. The pressure from Nanaimo is relentless and its the Oates/Conacher duo who are the most relentless of all. Oates is finding the open man with ease and it pays off on a great give and go with O'Reilly who's moved up to the second line in favour of Cleghorn. O'Reilly's goal with 2 minutes left stands as the tying goal and the period ends with the two teams knotted at 2 a peice. The two teams head off to prpare for the second consecutive overtime.

The two teams open up overtime with some cautious play. Lemaire's line has been stellar keeping Lalonde's line in check and his strong play earlier in the game has decidedly dropped off. Goyettes line has also gotten the better of the matchup with Stastny but at the 1/2 way point of the period its Stastny who splits Duchense and Wesley and rings a shot off the crossbar that has the puck drop right behing Glenn Hall. Stastny throws his hands up in the air and the crowd goes nuts but the play is sent up stairs for video review.

After an incredibly long 8 minutes its ruled no goal! The raucious crowd rains down boos and a few beer cups find their way onto the ice. After a delay for cleanup the period gets underway once again. The delay seems to have gone against the hometown team and Nanaimo presses hard. Babe Siebert sends a hard shot into the net that Parent kicks out. the rebound goes to little used Cleghorn who puts a shot into the wide open net. The boos rain down even harder when the video replay shows Roy Conacher ran some interference on Parent leaving him unable to get to Cleghorns shot.

The usually mild mannered Art Ross fires a water bottle out on the ice in disgust. The home teams dressing room is closed to media after the game but Hap Day shows up for the post game press conference and quips " it was a righteous outcome to a hard fought game, we're not going to get any easy ones on Parent and if a little interference is required, the Clippers will do what it takes"

Last edited:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The local media is all over the NHL and how they were "jobbed" in game three. Even premier Calvert weighs in with a comment that the "NHL never wanted a team in Saskatchewan and it shows" The talk shows are all about Saskatoon vs the NHL.

The puck drops to start game four and it appears that Saskatoon is in a foul mood. Instead of the fast puck pressure game displayed in previous games, Saskatoon comes out hitting and it seems to have caught Nanaimo off guard. Didier Pitre puts his team down shorthanded when he retaliates after a hit and earns an extra two mouthing off about it on the way to the box. The Saskatoon crowd goes wild when big Dave Semenko comes out for the powerplay who has drawn in for John Ogrodnick. The move pays off when Semenko tips a Desjardins point shot and Saskatoon goes up 1-0. Saskatoon keeps up the physical play and it seems effective keeping Nanaimo at bay. The crowd goes nuts when Denis Potvin catches Adam Oates admiring a pass with a hard hip check. Oates makes it back to the bench but is immediately sent to the dressing room. The momentum keeps in Saskatoons favour and it pays off when Dale Hawerchuk takes a pass from Hadfield in the slot and roofs a wrist shot pass Glenn Hall, Bernie Parent has his easiest period yet.

The second period starts with Semenko and O'Reilly jawing at each other from the bench. The crowd goes nuts when the next line change occurs and sure enough, they both step onto the ice. The puck drops and sure enough, so do the gloves. There's no posing here folks as both O'Reilly and Semenko start start chucking them. O'Reilly starts speed jabbing Semenko but as his style Semenko takes 7-8 punches until he see's his spot and unloads 2 overhand rights at O'Reilly that makes his legs wobble. O'Reilly hangs in and they both trade solid punches for a good 30 seconds before the linesmen jump in. Decision to Semenko only because O'Reillly needs to go to the bench for medical attention to a cut. With play underway its Nanaimo's turn to dish out the punishment when Allan Stanley hammers Mike Gartner in the corner during a race for the puck. Its Saskatoons turn to send an injured player to the dressing room when Gartner is slow to get up from the hit. The jeers turn to cheers though when Stanley earns two minutes for elbowing. Saskatoon buzzes Nanaimo's end on the ensuing powerplay but Hall stands on his head and they survive the two minutes. Bouyed from the penalty kill Nanamio gets momentum and it doesn't take long before Newsy Lalonde goes to work ragging the puck and drawing both defenders to him, Lalonde spins and finds a wide open Cyclone Taylor who taps in the puck into the wide open net. The period closes out with Saskatoon clinging onto a 2-1 lead.

The third period starts with Saskatoon striking quick. Jacques Lemaire unloads a slap shot from outside the blueline that Hall plays to casual and he finds the puck behind him. The loudest cheer come when it's announced Dave Semenko has drawn an assist on the goal and a couple hats hit the ice in honor of his "Gordie Howe" hat trick. The jubilation is short lived when Lalonde breaks around Barillko and sets up a streaking Taylor for his second of the game. The goal puts Saskatoon on their heels and Nanaimo comes at them in waves. Lalonde is all over the place but its Don Marcotte who gets the enevitable tying goal with 3:16 remaining in the game when he pulls the puck out of the corner, slides the puck through Carlye and beats Parent with the backhand. The period closes out and the two teams head off for a third consecutive overtime.

Overtime starts and the two team trade glorious scoring chances. Both teams strategy is to get this over quick but Parent and Hall have other ideas. By the 1/2 way point of the period its clear the strike quick strategy isn't going to work and both teams settle down with strong defensive play. The first overtime closes out scoreless with Nanaimo having the slight edgoe on shots 12-11.

The second Overtime starts with Adam Oates returning to the bench for the first time since being injured. Fatigue is setting in as both teams show little of how the first overtime period started and scoring chances are few and far between. Potvin who has logged the most minutes of anyone shows how tired he is when Barillko lobs the length of the ice and Potvin bends to one knee knowing he can't get off the ice for a change. Its Oates who wins the draw back to Earl Siebert who lets a blast go and it's by a screened Parent for the game winner.

Nanaimo takes a strangle hold on the series with their third consecutive OT win and a 3-1 series lead.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Nanaimo steps out onto their home ice to a thunderous ovation from the Clippers faithful. Much like the entire province has gotten behind Saskatchewan, the entire island has gotten behind the Clippers. Mike Gartner is out for Saskatoon having suffered a concussion.

The puck drops to start the first period and its clear that Newsy Lalonde has brought his 'A' game tonight. With Ross not getting the line matchups he prefer's, Lalonde is free to perform his magic and every shift it shows. Saskatchewan seems weary of Lalonde and he's able to gain the zone with ease and is finding his linemates at will. Doug Bentley opens the scoring at the 14:22 mark of the first with a nice feed from Lalonde from behind the net. With momentum on Nanaimo's side they keep the foot on the gas and it Lalonde again who gains the zone, fakes a pass and wires a quick wrist shot that seems to have caught Parent by surprise and the home town team goes up 2-0 before the first period is 1/2 over. Saskatoon tries to stem the momentum and gets a couple nice opportunities of their own including a clear break away by Peter Stastny but Glenn Hall is equal to the task and makes a great save. With play opening up a bit Nanaimo goes up by three when Terry O'Reilly deflects an Earl Seibert blast with his skate. After a short video reveiw the goal stands and Nanaimo skates off to end the first period with a commanding 3-0 lead much to the delight of the home town crowd.

The second period starts off with fast two way play and both teams trade glorious scoring chances. Parent stops a 2 on 1 by Lalonde and Taylor with a circus stop glove hand save and Glenn Hall makes a second break away save on Peter Mahovlich. Mahovlich does make Hall pay 2 minutes later though when he deftly deflects a Potvin shot from the point and puts Saskatoon on the board with a powerplay goal. With new life from the goal Saskatoon presses more but Glenn Hall is having his best game of the series and turns away all that is thrown at him. The period ends 3-1. Shots for the game are even a 24 each.

The third period starts off and its clear that Nanaimo isn't going to go in a defensive shell. Lalonde beats Duchense to a loose puck and breaks out 2 on 1 with Doug Bentley, using Bentley as a decoy, Lalonde keeps the puck and zig zags into the slot where he lets a laser go. Parent gets a piece of it with his glove and the puck bounces off the crossbar. Denis Potvin is first to the rebound and spies Dennis Hull coming off the bench on a line change and springs him on yet another breakaway. Hull makes sure this one counts with a blistering wrist shot to Halls stick side and Saskatoon pulls within 1. Coach Day sensing momentum turning, calls a timeout not pleased that his team has given up three breakaways. From the timeout on, its clear that Nanaimo starts to pay attention to defense as rush after rush from Saskatoon is turned away with Nanaimo content just to lob the puck back out to the nuetral zone. Time winds down and Saskatoon pulls Parent for the extra attacker and with desperation throw everything they have at the net. The crowd holds its breath as action is furious around Glenn Hall. In desperation Allan Stanley ices the puck and coach Ross calls a timeout with 19 seconds left to draw up a plan. Hawerchuk wins the draw from Goyette and Potvin fires a shot that goes off the post. Hadfield pounces on the rebound and fires the puck which Hall manages to get a toe on. Earl Seibert gathers the puck and lobs the puck up and out with the clock counting down, a last second slap shot from Desjardins is saved by Glenn Hall and the crowd, tense from the action rise to their feet to give their home town team a loud ovation. Time has run out on Saskatoon and Nanaimo wins the series in 5 games. A much closer series than the 5 games would indicate.

Goaltender Bernie Parent is awarded the series first star with a 2.50 average and .943 save percentage for the series.

Earl Seibert earns second star honours with rock solid defensive play and chipping in 2 goals and an assist for the series.

Third star of the series is a split between Denis Potvin who scored a goal and 4 assists and Newsy Lalonde who scored a goal and 5 assists for the series

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks Murphy for doing a great job with the write ups. Looking forward to a tough series ahead with Edmonton.

Tough luck for Saskatoon, I definitely thought they could have stretched this out to 6 or 7 games.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Not a surprise here. Saskatoon (Lebda, I'm going to kill you for knocking off Serbia) was the better team. Saskatoon deserves props for winning a round and giving Nanaimo a decent run. I had Nanaimo picked to win in five.

Edmonton and Nanaimo should be a really good series on the ice, with some good jostling between the GMs off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad