All-Time Draft #6 (con't)

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Thank you very much.
True, for the most part I got the players that I wanted (especially the goalies, these three were on my list from the first pick).
I was actually thinking about breaking up the top D pair and move Ruotsalainen up and perhaps bring Kelly on the bottom pair to provide some defense for Rautakallio. Perhaps I should do that but somehow I just doesn`t seem right to see Kelly on the bottom pairing.
Coaches are always hard for me. As much as I read about hockey, reading about coaches always seemed a bit boring to me so I really have little knowledge about coaches. The only thing I wouldn`t wanted to have on that team is a defensive oriented coach since for my team offensive style fits better.

You're welcome.

I'm surprised no one else made a play for Holocek given the level of knowledge here. More WC best goalie nods than Tretiak...

If Kelly is with Rautakallio, I think it becomes the 2nd pairing...

Demers isn't bad, I just see it that your team will be out coached from time to time...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
God Bless Canada said:
First of all, I take it that it's been established we'll be going with divisions based on draft position, which is what BM suggested?

I do like VanI's idea of an independent administrator for compiling the votes. In this case, I'd nominate Spitfire11 (who else), if he'd be willing to accept it. Nalyd Psycho would be my second pick. Even though he was a consultant for Murphy2's team, I think he'd still be classified as an independent.

While I'd like to see the simplest vote tabulation system possible, I think we need to work to avoid ties, so it should be the 10-7-5-3-1. Ties should be broken by most first place votes, second place votes, etc. In the event of a tie in a playoff match-up, the tie-breaker should be home ice.

While I'm opposed to every team making the playoffs in principle, I don't have a problem with it in this instance. Especially since teams built their core not knowing whether we would determine a winner. Teams that built a tough, playoff-type team that would struggle during a regular season (Murphy2) would be punished. I like the idea of a cross-over, it levels out the competition a little for those in strong divisions, but that's moot for me. You're still going to have to win three very challenging series to win this thing.

Anyways, sorry for the delay. I had friends in town, a big curling event, and a very unreliable HF Boards server. It would be nice for each team to get a chance to say why they should be ranked where, but we've done a lot of that already with team evaluations.

I agree with most of this. Rank with a 10-7-5-3-1 system (every division, then 1-4 for one's own).

Have 4 vs. 5 play for the last playoff spot, then continue on from there. Crossing over isn't a big deal either way.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I agree with most of this. Rank with a 10-7-5-3-1 system (every division, then 1-4 for one's own).

Have 4 vs. 5 play for the last playoff spot, then continue on from there. Crossing over isn't a big deal either way.

10 being the top ranked or lowest?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
God Bless Canada said:
I do like VanI's idea of an independent administrator for compiling the votes. In this case, I'd nominate Spitfire11 (who else), if he'd be willing to accept it. Nalyd Psycho would be my second pick. Even though he was a consultant for Murphy2's team, I think he'd still be classified as an independent.
Does Spitfire11 accept the nomination? He has now been PM'd. If he doesn't get back by tomorrow, then Nalyd Psycho will be PM'd.

To be clear: Everyone ranks teams in a division 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th. That's it, simple. Just only rank 4 teams in one's own division, leaving one's own team out. So go about making your rankings and keep them to yourself until the day after tomorrow at the latest. Then PM to the admin, who will be Spitfire11 or Nalyd Psycho. (The whole 10-7-5-3-1 weighting points thing is for the admin. only. We g.m.s simply rank within a division)

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think it was decided that we'd use this one:

Division 1
1 - Evil Speaker - Boston Bruins
8 - BM67 - New Jersey Devils
9 - raleh - Montreal Maroons
16 - murray - Hamilton Tiger Cubs
17 - reckoning - Buffalo Sabres

Division 2
2 - VanIslander - Burnaby Mountaineers
7 - Murphy2 - Edmonton Oilers
10 - Hedberg - Victoria Salmon Kings
15- kruezer - Seattle Metropolitans
18 - The Great Elvi - Vancouver Blazers

Division 3
3 - Hockey Outsider - Montreal Canadiens
6 - Zetterberg4Captain - Saskatoon Blues
11 - shawnmullin - Blackburn Stingers
14 - Wisent - Quebec Citadelles
19 - #66 - Spartak Moscow

Division 4
4 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
5 - Transplanted Caper - Halifax Schooners
12 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers
13 - God Bless Canada - Trail Smoke Eaters
20 - HankyFourFingers - Hartford Whalers

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Division 1 The Don Cherry Division
Evil Speaker - Boston Bruins
BM67 - New Jersey Devils
raleh - Montreal Maroons
murray - Hamilton Tiger Cubs
reckoning - Buffalo Sabres

Division 2 The Jim Robson Division
VanIslander - Burnaby Mountaineers
Murphy2 - Edmonton Oilers
Hedberg - Victoria Salmon Kings
kruezer - Seattle Metropolitans
The Great Elvi - Vancouver Blazers

Division 3 The Foster Hewitt Division
Hockey Outsider - Montreal Canadiens
Zetterberg4Captain - Saskatoon Blues
shawnmullin - Blackburn Stingers
Wisent - Quebec Citadelles
#66 - Spartak Moscow

Division 4 The Bob Cole Division
Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
Transplanted Caper - Halifax Schooners
pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers
God Bless Canada - Trail Smoke Eaters
HankyFourFingers - Hartford Whalers
Yep, this will do. With hockey media legends as names.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm in.

As long as one of the divisions is named "The Jim Robson Division"
Alread done ;) as you see above.

So everyone SEND A PM to Nalyd Psycho with your rankings from 1st to 5th in every division as well as 1st to 4th in your own division (minus your own team).

This is a pre-playoffs, pre-match-up exercise, a sort of end of regular season exercise prior to match-up analyses.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Alread done ;) as you see above.

So everyone SEND A PM to Nalyd Psycho with your rankings from 1st to 5th in every division as well as 1st to 4th in your own division (minus your own team).

This is a pre-playoffs, pre-match-up exercise, a sort of end of regular season exercise prior to match-up analyses.

I'll get working on that... is there a deadline we should send it to Nalyd by?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How about a deadline of next Tuesday?
next Tuesday midnight ;) for those of us busy now as well as going away on a long weekend

Then Nalyd Psycho has Wednesday and Thursday to tabulate and release the rankings in each division.

Then there will be a playoff between teams ranked 4th and 5th in each division to see which of those two teams gets to go head to head with the topranked team within their division (1 vs winner of 4/5, 2 vs. 3). The winner of the Hewitt division plays the winner of the Cole division, winner of the Cherry plays the Robson. Then the championship round!

In all playoff rounds (AFTER rankings tabulated at end of "regular season next wed/thurs) there will be open and vigorous debate of match-ups, indepth analyses of relative strengths and weaknesses. An awesome team can fall if facing a team built to counter their style. It's all in the match-ups. Ideal schedule will have #4/5 playoff round start Friday and end Monday. Monday the full playoff schedule starts, with analyses, voting NOT until Friday through Sunday. Then the following Monday the same thing with the divisional finals, following Monday begins conference finals, then championship finals finished Dec 17th, champion crowned and we all go on our merry holidays in anticipation of alltime draft #7 at the beginning of the new year :) how does that sound... not too rushed, time for analysis, time for voting, fits schedulewise...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
As a proud member of the Fourth Estate, I'm pleased that the divisions are named after media members. But might I make a suggestion that we name one division after a print guy? Cherry, Hewitt and Robson are the right picks. Cole is not. Naming it the Red Fisher Division, the Eric Duhatschek Division, or (cross my fingers) the Jim Coleman Division? Or we could pay tribute to HF's own Bob McKenzie who has worked in both print and broadcasting.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One thing I've noticed as I've started my rankings is the clusters in talent. BM's division is home to the top three defencemen of all-time. (Speaker has Orr, BM has Shore and raleh has Harvey). VanI's division has the top three goalies of all-time. (Murphy2 has Sawchuk, Hedberg has Roy and Elvi has Plante). Furthermore, likely the two best 1-2 punches in the draft, Elvi (Plante-Esposito) and Murphy2 (Sawchuk-Brimsek) are in the same division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad