All-Time Draft, 1st Round Results : Detroit Red Wings vs. St-Louis Eagles

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 1

The first period of this game featured some of the most boring, conservative hockey ever. Both teams did not go rough, applied very little forecheck, and the defensemen just didn't joined the rush. An extremely awkward outlet pass from Jan Suchy was intercepted by Baldy Northcutt, who couldn't put the puck past Benedict, however.This was probably the most exiting moment of the 1st.

In the second period, both teams opened up the play passably more, and the Red Wings were the first team to score. Hatcher/Suchy pairing faulty again : extremely weak coverage by Hatcher makes
Neely go one on one vs Clint Benedict, who saw very little forwards as big as Neely drive the net like Neely did on his goal. So much that after the goal, Benedict litterally slashed Neely, and ended up giving a power play to Detroit just after scoring the first goal of the playoffs. About one minute later, Al McInnis executes a perfect
fake-slapper, and passes the puck to Neely (again), leaving Jimmy Thompson and Clint Benedict completely in awe before that play, while Neely scored one of his easier goals ever. While outshooting Detroit 20-14 after two periods, St-Louis just weren't able to do anything against Broda, and a few times, you could clearly see Mario Lemieux and Joe Malone mad at their wingers who were just unable to finish anything whatsoever.

Coach Hart decided to tweak his third pairing, inserting Pat Egan instead of Jan Suchy. The move paid off : a long ball from Egan to Malone, who has no problem making it past Bouchard and Abel : Broda blocks, but the burly netminder is somewhat out
of position when the puck ends up on Mats Naslund's stick, who had no problem roofing the puck over Broda. Poor Butch : he was argueably the best D-Men on the ice for the game, nullyfing Gordie Howe for the whole game, yet couldn't do anything
against the diminutives Malone and Naslund. He was able, though, to finish the game rather well, as proven with a absolutely big open-ice on Gordie Howe in the last minutes of the game, a hit that left Howe questionnable for game two, due to general body soreness. 2-1 Detroit, Detroit leads 1-0.
Stars : 1 : Cam Neely 2: Turk Broda 3: Butch Bouchard

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 2

Bad news in St-Louis prior to the game : Gordie Howe won't be dressed for game two, still injured from that violent hit suffered to Butch Bouchard, which means Martin Lapointe will be inserted in the lineup. There was also word of Jan Suchy being scratched, but coach Hart changed his mind, considering it was better to keep 7 D-Mens on the ice against the forecheck-oriented offense from Detroit. Although it was probably a polite way of saying that Michal Handzus probably don't belong on the starting squad, as Jan Suchy ended up
playing only 7 minutes in game two, most of them on the powerplay. At least, he played better than in game one.

Knowing Hart would probably be reluctant to use Suchy anyways, Tommy Gorman orders his players to forecheck like crazy in the first period : as such, he probably hoped his team would have winded up with a better result than trailing 1-0 after one period. Not only Hec Kilrea shown lots of courage by blocking a McInnis shot, but he was also able to use his speed to get to the puck before McInnis could get by it, and was able to beat Turk Broda on the breakaway. While
coming back to the bench, Kilrea was congratulated by coach Hart for his courage when the blade of his skate detached itself from the boot. Due to the lack of '30ies skates in the stock, Kilrea refused to go on the ice again in the 1st period, saying that he would look like a sissy in those modern skates...
Otherwise, the period was led by Detroit, and Coach Gorman told his players to continue playing the way they did : it will surely pay dividends later.

Starting the 2nd period with only 10 forwards (Kilrea continuing his holdout), St-Louis were nonetheless able to dominate offensively the 2nd period, controlling the puck effectively in the offensive
zone : too bad for them most of their shots were either blocked, or had very little angle due to superb display by Detroit defense. Detroit offense weren't able to get anything going, and the McLeish line just weren't unable to make it past the red line when in possession.

Kilrea was again holding out in the 3rd. Too bad, 'cause Coach Hart would really have needed it during a Detroit PP. Bob Dailey unleashed a weak, boucing wristler that Benedict wasn't quite able to control, and Ted Kennedy took the rebound, passed the puck to Jarome Iginla who just had to shoot it in a wide-open net. For the reminder of the period, Detroit just pressured the St-Louis D, and kinda screwed up their transition game. However, no one was able
to get anything going in Detroit offense, so that one went in OT.

Mario Lemieux, who weren't especially effective during the series, had the best chance of the first two periods of OT following a nice setup by Vladimir Martinec : too bad the shot hit the horizontal cross bar, as Broda was really beaten on the play.

The third OT period went to be the last period of this game. An extremely questionnable call on Kevin Stevens led to a Detroit PP. Winger Phil Watson was able to intercept a pass from McInnis to Abel, and flyed towards Broda with Lapointe on his wing, as Detroit players has been on the ice for more than a minute. Watson opts for passing, but... Lappy... LUNGES! ...INTERCEPTS!...PASSES WHILE still down to a fresh Jamie Langenbrunner who had just jumped
on the ice for Cam Neely. One on One vs. Ott Heller, Langenbrunner unleashes a slapper just inside the blueline, slightly deflect on Heller... SCORES!!!
Detroit wins 2-1, Detroit Leads 2-0
3 Stars : 1 : Turk Broda 2 : Mario Lemieux 3 : Jacques Laperriere.

And Cecil was mad at Watson, and especially Lapointe, who didn't exactly took the best decision for a guy who was promoted in the starting lineup due to an injury...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 3

Good news ahead for St-Louis. As expected, a full box of skates was able to get to the team, so Hec Kilrea will play again. And Mr. Hockey's back too. Don't know if he's top shape, though...
As could be expected, Martin Lapointe goes straight back in the reserves squad. The two newcomers don't lose time in prooving their usefulness : surprising Leo Reise with his tenacious forcheck, Hec Kilrea manages to make him cough to puck, sends it back to Howe.. SCORE! St-Louis would score one before before the end of the first : winning a battle against Lappy along the boards, Howe spots Jan Such who left his spot, backhand pass by Howe who finds his way behind Broda. The next shift, Howe is litterally assaulted by Bobby Holik, and both starts exchanging blows, to the net advantage of Howe, who was acclaimed on his way to the penalty box. Hence, Gordie Howe notched his first natural Gordie Howe hat-trick in career!

A surpringly boring 2nd period after that action packed 1st. Once again, St-Louis controls the game, but cannot quite get past Detroit D. And Detroit offense was completely ineffective and couldn't get anything going. Still 2-0 Detroit.

The third period was, well, quite the same way. The Eagles contented themselves to rely a lot on Phil Watson to
stop Ted Kennedy, and the D played well enough defensively to keep Detroit players at bay. Cooney Weiland would add an
empty netter.
St-Louis wins 3-0, Detroit Leads 2-1
3 Stars ; 1 : Gordie Howe 2 : Phil Watson 3 : Turk Broda

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 4
Kevin Stevens finally wokes up after a terrible start to the series. First, he notches a PP goal following a brillant pass from Valeri Vasiliev. Then, Lemieux dekes both Reise and Dailey, and sends the puck on Stevens way, who sends it through the five-hole. Lemieux also had an assist on the 1st Stevens goal. For the first time of this serie, Detroit defensive is really outplayed by the three-way threat of Lemieux/Howe/Malone. Joe Malone adds one before the end of the period, assisted by Pat Egan and Phil Watson, and Turk Broda starts
wondering what's going on there.

Lemieux don't lose any time in the 2nd period... Credited with a goal when he deflected a Carol Vadnais shot. Coach Gorman decides to withdraw Broda for Ranford. Nothing to do there : Detroit defense is in absolute disarray with the offense displayed by St-Louis. Gordie Howe - assisted by Valeri Vasiliev and Conney Weiland, would add another one before the third. 5-0 St-Louis.

It's under the sounds of boos and jeers that Detroit would finish the game. They were leading 2-0 before going home, and while no one actually beleived that they could win this round 4-0, they at least expected one win at home. The crowd continued to jeer as Mario Lemieux adds a second goal on a rebound, following a shot from Derian Hatcher.
St-Louis wins 6-0, Series tied 2-2
Stars : 1: Mario Lemieux 2:Valeri Vasiliev 3:Kevin Stevens

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 5
Back in St-Louis for game 5. As might be expected, Turk Broda returns in the net for this game. He ended up giving the first goal, but there isn't much that could be done against it : a slapper from Carol Vadnais deflected on Gordie Howe's elbow. Overall, a tightly played first period, where both teams ended up giving not much space to the opponent. 1-0 St-Louis.

Discipline problems errupted for St-Louis in the 2nd, however. Being badly outskated by Martin St-Louis, Hatcher trips him, and ends up in the box. A few moments later, Rick MacLeish scores, as he takes a rebound from Al McInnis's shot. During another PP to Detroit, McLeish wins a battle in the corner against Pat Egan, passes in the slot, but the pass is deflected by Rod Brind'Amour skate. The goal is accepted. Detroit got, in all, 7 power plays in the 2nd period, and Coach Hart can thank Clint Benedict for trailing only 2-1 in the game, after two.

If the 2nd period could be spelled "Clint Benedict", the 3rd period was Gordie Howe's one. First, he stunned Leo Reise with a thundering bodycheck. Reise was taken out with the help of the trainer, and is extremely doubtful to play again in first round. Howe scored the 2nd goal, with the help of a great pass (or a lucky bouce, according to everyone in Detroit...) from Maloney. And during a PP, he received a great pass from Lemieux, and sent it behind Broda. However, he pleased the crowd even more when Cam Neely viciously sucker-punched Naslund after losing a battle along the boards(considering the size difference between both guys, Neely had all the reasons to be mad...). Howe assaulted Neely, and pounded him like silly. Neely suffered a broken nose and needed 17 stitches to sew a huge cut below his eye after the game. No instigator penalty was given to Howe on the play, and Tommy Gorman started throwing sticks on the ice, while the crown chanted "Neely... YOU S*CK!"
Gordie Howe 3, Detroit 2 : St-Louis leads 3-2.
Stars : 1 : Gordie Howe 2 : Rick MacLeish 3 : Clint Benedict.

Injury report :
Detroit -- Reise : Doubtful to play in 1st round ; Neely : Should be okay.
St-Louis -- Naslund : Questionnable for next game. Should be able to play if Game 7 necessary.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 6

First, news from the trainers room. Leo Reise, as expected, cannot play, and Robert Svehla will take his place in the lineup. Next, Cam Neely has been cleared to play by the trainers ; however, the League suspended him for 2 games after his attack on Naslund. Sami Pahlsson enters the game As for Naslund, he's been dressed by Coach Hart, but every columnist suspects he's not 100% at all, and Hart's decision is more revealing of his distrust of Handzus and Lapointe (after game 2...) than Naslund's health status. Maloney will take Naslund spot at ES, and Naslund will have some appearances on the PP : it's, at least, everyone's guess.

No use for a period-for-period report here : the game could be wrapped-up with one word : Turk Broda. Stopped 38 on 38. Coach Hart probably somewhat regrets of having played Naslund, as the guy just couldn't use his speed at all. The lone goal of the game was when Hec Kilrea was fairly nonchalent with Ted Kennedy in the neutral zone, allowing him to enter the offensive zone with Jarome Iginla at his right. From Teeder, to Iggy, to Teeder... One-timer, GOAL!

Coach Gorman was happy to have Sammy Pahlsson in his lineup, as he was surprisingly very effective against Mario Lemieux, who probably had his worst game of the playoffs -- and won only 21% of his faceoffs.
Detroit 1, St-Louis 0 : Serie tied 3-3.
Stars : 1 : Turk Broda 2 : Ted Kennedy 3 : Clint Benedict

Injury report:
Reise : Round over
Naslund : Could play around 10 minutes in game 7

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Game 7

Game 7
Detroit enters a game 7 with two regulars out of their lineup, one of them being maybe of their two most dangerous offensive threats in this round. While Leo Reise didn't had the greatest round of his life, he had the cohesion with Bailey that his replacement, Svehla, just doesn't have. Bailey and Svehla on the ice when a perfect tic-tac-toe, from Martinec, to Lemieux, to Stevens.... Broda never saw anything on this one, 1-0. Detroit manages to tie the game late in the 1st though : classical deflection from Rod Brind'Amour, following a following McInnis shot. 1-1 after 1.

Hart tweaks a little his line for the second period, using Lemieux at the right wing of Malone and Naslund, and keeping Watson on a line with Weiland and Kilrea. Gorman never saw that one coming, neither did Lappy when two midgets and the giant entered Detroit's one. While he did cover Malone the better he could for the pass, nothing could be done on Lemieux's slapper. 2-1 after 2.

Coach Hart tweaks his lineup again in the 3rd : playing Lemieux with Howe and Kilrea. Things really clicked at that time, and everyone on Detroit squad could only watch the two big mans complete each others superbly, and only the superior play of Laperriere and Broda made them score solely one goal, while Detroit offense wasn't able to capitalize on their (few) chances.
St-Louis 3, Detroit 1, St-Louis wins in 7.
Stars (game) : 1 : Mario Lemieux 2 : Gordie Howe 3 : Al McInnis.

Stars for the round :
1 : Gordie Howe
2 : Turk Broda
3 : Mario Lemieux

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Congrats to St. Louis on posting their first-ever series victory. As I stated earlier, I thought Detroit was the type of team that would be able to knock off St. Louis, as I picked Detroit as my playoff darkhorse. Losing Neely really hurt. (Although I'm trying to remember a time in his career in which Neely was suspended, other than for game misconducts. He was physical, but not dirty).

I think EagleBelfour should be breathing a sigh of relief over this result.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Wow, I guess somebody has to lose but wow, Detroit, Ny Rangers and Leafs all had teams that should go rounds. I guess its a testament to the quality of teams everyone has put together.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I think EagleBelfour should be breathing a sigh of relief over this result.

I took Detroit to win it in 6.

As you said, it would of been one really close serie if I would of had to play against the Red Wings. This serie would of had end in 7 (Taking it at home that's for sure :P)

It dosn't matter who I play againsy in this round. Finishing 1st in my division was a surprise for me, as I had built my team for the playoffs. With 60 cups and 7 Conn Smythe and a boatload of playoff performer, I feel the only part of my team that could put me in some problem is obviously my defense.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Well shucks, I thought my team was built to win it all and low and behold we finish last and get kicked out first round, heheh.

Did people not like all the modern players or something? I never got much feedback at all from the GMs that didn't like my team (don't be afraid, I don't hold any grudges or anything like that.....)

Anyways, it's been a good draft, hope to be back for the next instalment.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well shucks, I thought my team was built to win it all and low and behold we finish last and get kicked out first round, heheh.

Did people not like all the modern players or something? I never got much feedback at all from the GMs that didn't like my team (don't be afraid, I don't hold any grudges or anything like that.....)

Well... you had QUITE a defense and QUITE a playoff goalie, to say the least...

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com

I was a big fan of your team. I had you second in your division and had you win in 6.

The only knock I had on one of your modern player was Patrick Elias, who I thought you took early, and he's more suited to a second line duty. Craig Simpson isn't a strong second line LW either (St-Louis too, but it's not a bad pick at all). IMO, Merrick was your 3rd line center and Holik your fourth.

However, the duo Kennedy-Neely was rock solid, your bottom 6 was one of the best in the draft, your defense is sick, a top-3 IMO and you had a great goaltender in Broda. As GBC said, I think it shows how many great teams were assemble.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Should have traded me Neely when you had the chance.

Thats the only mistake I could see that you made.......;)

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay

I liked your team Spit, but I took St. Loo in 7, I just couldn't pick against the Lemieux-Howe duo, I had you higher in your division though if I am not mistaken.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I think that your team just ended up in one of the more unfortunate positions since Nalyd has one of the best teams in the draft. You had a team built for the playoffs, but unfortunately you got a really tough matchup (though I was surprised Nalyd finished as high as he did with the number of games he expected Lundqvist/Konovalenko to play).

I also thought this was the most even division top to bottom. I had a ton of trouble with all three series in this division.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think that your team just ended up in one of the more unfortunate positions since Nalyd has one of the best teams in the draft. You had a team built for the playoffs, but unfortunately you got a really tough matchup (though I was surprised Nalyd finished as high as he did with the number of games he expected Lundqvist/Konovalenko to play).

I also thought this was the most even division top to bottom. I had a ton of trouble with all three series in this division.
I don't think anyone's going to stop Nalyd now in that division. I thought Detroit was the one team, with their defensive depth, team play and clutch scorers, that could knock these guys off in the Hewitt.

I'm not sure if Nalyd will have enough to get past a well-balanced team like New Jersey or Buffalo, but St. Louis should now be able to win their division.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Gotta say, I was in my morning class when I read that it was going to 7 games, I then had another class and a shift at work before I could get the final results. I spent a lot of that time mentally preparing myself for defeat. I really didn't know which of us would win.

So, :cheers:, good series. It was a very fun to debate with you.

As for why you lost, two things come to mind.

1) You may have over committed to being a playoff team, teams who's best players step up in the post season aren't necessarily as good in the regular season, and Kennedy and Broda fit that mold. This means you get a poor seeding. With things so tight in this draft, relying on guys who don't have the best regular seasons will bite back in seeding.

2) Luck of the draw, just as you were my worst match-up, I truly believe I was your worst match-up as I had the one offense you couldn't shutdown. Any defensive team out there, you probably would have beat because you could beat them at their own game, with us, it was off-kilter, my strength was your weakness and your strength my weakness, so, it could go any way. In a different division or against a different 1st round opponent, you could have won, and kept winning. But the two of us facing off was the ultimate wild card match-up, both of us arguably the strongest at a core element of the game, but among the weakest elsewhere. It was the unstoppable force vs the immovable object and something had to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad