All time defensive lineup

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I was just sitting thinking to myself what would be the best defensive lineup all time one could put out in the field. I came up with most of the positions, but I'm far from an expert: C - Bench/ Rodriguez? 3B - Brooks Robinson? SS - Ozzie Smith? And so on and so forth.
What would be your best all time lineup defensively?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I was just sitting thinking to myself what would be the best defensive lineup all time one could put out in the field. I came up with most of the positions, but I'm far from an expert: C - Bench/ Rodriguez? 3B - Brooks Robinson? SS - Ozzie Smith? And so on and so forth.
What would be your best all time lineup defensively?

Part of the problem would be that the best, best defenders might have been horrible hitters and never got a chance (this is almost never a problem in reverse - almost no one who can really hit is so bad defensively as to make them useless).

C - Roy Campanella
1B - Keith Hernandez
2B - Bill Mazeroski
3B - Brooks Robinson
SS - Mark Belanger
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Andruw Jones
RF - Roberto Clemente

Few of these should be controversial.

Roy Campanella threw out more than 57% of attempted basestealers (astonishing even for his era), and missed several years because of segregation. Estimates of his pitcher handling also put him among the best catchers since 1920.

Mark Belanger has, I believe, the best ratio of fielding runs to innings of any shortstop who had a substantial career. He just couldn't hit, and was so bad at hitting that he washed out sooner than Ozzie Smith (who actually could hit, at least enough).

Barry Bonds was a center fielder who was pushed to left because the Pirates acquired another center fielder with a better arm, but perhaps less range.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad