Tribute All time Boston Bruin Greats

In this thread I’d like to share with fellow Bruins fans articles looking back at former Bruins careers. The first one I will share is about Tim Thomas:

Born in Flint, Michigan, Thomas went to high school in Davison, Michigan. Growing up in a tough economy provided Thomas with an incredible work ethic, as could be demonstrated by him sprawling across the net to make an unbelievable save. It also provided challenges for the Thomas family. His parents, Kathy and Tim Senior, were forced to sell her wedding ring to pay for Tim’s hockey tournaments. He played a couple of years on travel teams with another former Boston Bruin, Brian Rolston. Due to the high cost of travelling teams, Tim played high school hockey and won a championship with his school. Following the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup championship, Thomas returned the cup to his former high school.

Jason Allison:

Born May 29, 1975, in North York, Ontario Allison grew up in the Toronto neighborhood of Emery. In an articlewritten by Tim Lambrinos for the Emery Village Voice, it is stated that Allison would often be seen carrying his hockey bag while walking with his grandfather to the Habitant arena in Emery. Allison played some minor hockey for the Humberview Huskies prior to playing U16AAA for the North York Rangers.

While playing for the Rangers in 1990-91 Allison lit the lamp 53 times and added 41 assists for 94 points in 63 games. His season in the GTHL opened the eyes of some OHL scouts as he would play his first of four seasons with the London Knights the following year.

Starting off strong with two of my absolute favorite Bs.

It's too bad Allison didn't play with the Bs longer, and for that matter stick around in the NHL longer. He was such a good player. He and Samsonov were something else when they were clicking together.
Yeah I wish he would’ve been around longer remember the “SAK” line with Samsonov, Allison and Khristich

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Also much tougher than most people remember.

Just checked his stats and he was still productive in his last year at 31.

I can’t remember if he had to retire due to injury.

Anyone recall?

Cam Neely: The Ultimate Bruin
The Boston Bruins traded veteran Barry Pederson to the Vancouver Canucks in June of 1986 and at the time, without knowing it, received a future franchise icon in return. A 21-year-old, by the name of Cam Neely, was sent back to Boston along with a 1st round draft pick. The ultimate member of the Boston Bruins quickly became a franchise cornerstone. The Boston Bruins and Cam Neely are now synonymous with one another. His number eight hangs from the TD Garden rafters with other Bruins legends. Take a look back at Cam Neely’s career as a player and what he did that made him an icon in Boston forever.

Born May 29, 1975, in North York, Ontario Allison grew up in the Toronto neighborhood of Emery. In an articlewritten by Tim Lambrinos for the Emery Village Voice, it is stated that Allison would often be seen carrying his hockey bag while walking with his grandfather to the Habitant arena in Emery. Allison played some minor hockey for the Humberview Huskies prior to playing U16AAA for the North York Rangers.

While playing for the Rangers in 1990-91 Allison lit the lamp 53 times and added 41 assists for 94 points in 63 games. His season in the GTHL opened the eyes of some OHL scouts as he would play his first of four seasons with the London Knights the following year.

Sorry if there are multiple links to my articles I’m not trying to spam by any means I was trying to create an index so it is easier for anyone interested in reading the article to find the links. Look forward to any feedback and suggestions on players who to write about next in the weekly series I am doing. The next one is also former Bruins Captain he was nearly traded to Boston in exchange for Jason Allison back in 2001. Instead he was traded to the Ottawa Senators, any guesses?

Zdeno Chara A Look Back at Big Z's career
At 6’9 he is the tallest player to ever play in the NHL. Zdeno Chara‘s career has spanned 24 NHL seasons up to this point. While he hasn’t formally announced his retirement, he remains without a contract for the fast-approaching NHL season. Chara has been spotted this week at the Boston Bruins practice facility. No reports are linking Chara to a Bruins reunion. The former Bruin was merely paying a visit to some old friends as Bruins started hitting the ice for Captain’s practice.

Reactions: Bradely

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Jason Allison:

May have been the best down low player in the league for 2 of his Bruins years.

Reactions: sarge88
Phil Esposito
Phil Esposito: Legendary Bruins Sniper
Phil Esposito: Legendary Boston Bruins Sniper
Esposito grew up in a blue-collar environment. His father, Patrick Esposito, dropped out of school during the 1930’s Great Depression. Phil’s mother, Frances, occasionally played in the net while her two sons shot a rolled-up sock at her in their family home. “Most of the time, Tony was the goaltender. But I remember my mother [Frances] coming downstairs to check on us, and we’d put her in goal. She’d get down on her hands and knees, and we’d shoot at her. After beating her several times, she would say, “Okay, boys, that’s

Reactions: Bradely

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Johnny "Pie" McKenzie passed away a year or so ago. Truly one of my favorites. He was something like 5 ft 7" but he was tenacious with the puck, went in the dirty areas, and had a good shot plus he was an incredible fighter.
He was on the 2nd line with Chief and Stanfield, but he was on the 1st PP unit with Bobby, Chief, Espo and Stanfield.
He always stood up for his teammates.

Classic video of Pie sitting with the fans rather than in the penalty box.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Allison had the ice pulled out from under him when the lockout ended and they changed all the rules to make the game faster. He played with cement skates and couldn't keep up anymore. Had he been born ten years earlier he might have ended up a hall of fame candidate.

Allison was all done before the lockout.

He only played 26 games in 2002-2003, missed the whole 2003-2004 season before the lockout.

He had major neck and knee injuries as well as the concussions.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Allison was all done before the lockout.

He only played 26 games in 2002-2003, missed the whole 2003-2004 season before the lockout.

He had major neck and knee injuries as well as the concussions.
Yep, it was sad to watch because he was so talented in Boston. In LA he screwed up his neck and wasn't the same player. By the time he came back with Toronto after the lockout, he was the slowest player I've ever seen in my life. And he still put up 17 goals and 60 points that year. Goes to show the natural talent and IQ that guy had that even when he couldn't keep up with the play anymore he found himself in position to score.

He's another case of a guy who probably came around at the wrong time (you can say that about a lot of 90s players). If he entered the league ten years earlier or ten years later he's putting up huge numbers.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Johnny "Pie" McKenzie passed away a year or so ago. Truly one of my favorites. He was something like 5 ft 7" but he was tenacious with the puck, went in the dirty areas, and had a good shot plus he was an incredible fighter.
He was on the 2nd line with Chief and Stanfield, but he was on the 1st PP unit with Bobby, Chief, Espo and Stanfield.
He always stood up for his teammates.

Classic video of Pie sitting with the fans rather than in the penalty box.

Man those guys were tough!

Reactions: nORRis8

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
1668610378835.png

Peter McNab Tribute Story

The Peter McNab story begins when he was born May 8, 1952, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He inherited a history of hockey bloodlines as his father, Max McNab, won a Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings in 1950. At 14, McNab, a Canadian born American moved to the United States, where his father was the coach of the Western Hockey League’s San Diego Gulls.
McNab played center on the ice. However, he entered the University of Denver while playing on a baseball scholarship. As fate would have, McNab made the Denver Pioneers hockey team while attending the school. In his rookie season with the Pioneers, the 6-foot-3-inch centre scored 19 goals and 14 assists for 33 points in 28 games.

In his sophomore season, McNab nearly doubled his production as he scored 27 goals and added 38 assists for 65 points in 38 games.

A Forgotten Star: Sergei Samsonov

Sergei Samsonov was born on October 27, 1978, in Moscow, Russia which was at that time still known as the Soviet Union. Viktor, Samsonov’s father, was an electrician in Moscow however, he quit his job so he could dedicate himself to Sergei’s promising hockey career. Every day Viktor drove Sergei to the rink and he would drive a cab during the night to pay the family bills. “He pushed me, and he’s a big reason I am here today,” Samsonov said in a Sports Illustrated article by Gerry Callahan published November 16, 1998.

Samsonov first came to North America while playing in the prestigious Quebec International Pee-Wee tournament in 1992. As a young teenager, Samsonov drew comparisons to Russian superstar, Pavel Bure. It wasn’t until 1996 that Samsonov would be playing hockey full-time in North America.

Andy Moog
The Andy Moog story continued following his time in the WHL; he was selected in the seventh round, 132 overall, by the Edmonton Oilers. After playing in just 15 games through his first two seasons with the Oilers, Moog spent most of his first two professional seasons with the Wichita Wind in the Central Hockey League.

Moog broke through and became a full-time NHL goalie during the 1982-83 season. He played 50 games for the Oilers, who played in their first-ever Stanley Cup Final, losing to the New York Islanders that season. Moog earned the starting role over Grant Fuhr, posting a 33-8-7 record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad