All Time Best Undrafted Player?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Really? If we assume those players are anywhere near their prime, I think they would win the SC most years... and pretty easily too. I might move Poulin up a line and White down a line, and maybe try to find space for Rene Robert, but really they're pretty solid.

Personally, I think the Boyle-Rafalski defense pairing would be pretty bad. Both guys really need a defensive-minded partner to cover for them.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Really? If we assume those players are anywhere near their prime, I think they would win the SC most years... and pretty easily too. I might move Poulin up a line and White down a line, and maybe try to find space for Rene Robert, but really they're pretty solid.

I don't know how they'd stack up against "all-time" teams. The all-time French Canadian team could take 'em, but I think they might be able to take the all-time Dirty team from the other thread... provided they didn't get too injured.

BTW, as a person who got to see both the Courtnall's play, although they ended up with similar numbers, Geoff was way more of an dirty agitator that Russ was. Russ was an amazing skater and much more smooth on the ice. If he had finish to match the rest of his skills he'd have been in the HOF. Personally though, I liked Geoff better (when he was on my team). Nothing he'd like better than to punch a guy in the back of the head, draw a retaliation penalty, and then score on the ensuing power play.

I just am not a huge fan of that team, and I have my doubts about their ability to score enough goals to win in the playoffs. Not to mention, their defense is about even to a typical defense in today's league. Definitely nothing special.

IMO, they would get absolutely steamrolled, both literally and figuratively, by the All-Time Dirty team. Completely annihilated. I'm talking about the type of destruction Detroit put on my Sharks in the 1995 Western Semi-Finals. 6-2. 6-2. 6-0. 6-0. The Undrafted Team is deep, but the Dirty Team is just way, way, way, way more talented.

Personally, I think the Boyle-Rafalski defense pairing would be pretty bad. Both guys really need a defensive-minded partner to cover for them.

Boyle doesn't really need a defensive-minded partner to cover for him. He is an elite skater and is able to get back on a lot of plays that slower skaters like Rafalski are caught in the offensive zone on. That said, it's definitely not my ideal defense pairing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I just am not a huge fan of that team, and I have my doubts about their ability to score enough goals to win in the playoffs. Not to mention, their defense is about even to a typical defense in today's league. Definitely nothing special.

really? reshuffle the pairings.

boyle tinordi
rafalski macoun
mcsorley duchesne

tinordi was twice the defensive anchor of teams that went to the finals, macoun was an ideal #4 on a contender and a fantastic playoff performer, and in his best year mcsorley was a monster during LA's run to the finals. i'm not crazy about duke, but he was an all-star in his prime. those guys, plus a guy who, at his best, has been a top five defenseman in the league and another guy who has been a top three d-man on five teams that have made the finals and has won three cups.

not great for an all-time team, but that's certainly a contender's d-corps.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
really? reshuffle the pairings.

boyle tinordi
rafalski macoun
mcsorley duchesne

tinordi was twice the defensive anchor of teams that went to the finals, macoun was an ideal #4 on a contender and a fantastic playoff performer, and in his best year mcsorley was a monster during LA's run to the finals. i'm not crazy about duke, but he was an all-star in his prime. those guys, plus a guy who, at his best, has been a top five defenseman in the league and another guy who has been a top three d-man on five teams that have made the finals and has won three cups.

not great for an all-time team, but that's certainly a contender's d-corps.

The main issues I have that defense is the second and third pairings. Boyle and Tinordi is a pretty damn solid top pairing. But Brian Rafalski has historically struggled without an elite defense partner, and I really don't find Jamie Macoun to be nearly good enough to provide the support that Rafalski needs from his partner. Steve Duchesne was never a top five defenseman in the league. He was an elite puck-mover, but was hideous in his own zone and was at his best, playoff-wise, when he was tucked behind a few dominant defensemen (see Chelios and Lidstrom in 2002).

IMO, if you insert one more top pairing defenseman, this team is Stanley Cup-bound. Someone that is capable of playing 25-30 minutes, and taking the pressure off Dan Boyle. Kind of like Pavel Kubina did in 2003-04. Not even a HHOF-level guy. Just a solid minute-eater.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Like Andy Greene?

Availble D's are:

Andy Greene
Sylvain Lefebvre
Grant Ledyard
Brett Lebda
Jon Klemm
Norm Maciver
Randy Manery
Michalek, Zbynek
Mike Milbury
Bryan Muir
Tom Preissing
Jim Vandermeer

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The main issues I have that defense is the second and third pairings. Boyle and Tinordi is a pretty damn solid top pairing. But Brian Rafalski has historically struggled without an elite defense partner, and I really don't find Jamie Macoun to be nearly good enough to provide the support that Rafalski needs from his partner. Steve Duchesne was never a top five defenseman in the league. He was an elite puck-mover, but was hideous in his own zone and was at his best, playoff-wise, when he was tucked behind a few dominant defensemen (see Chelios and Lidstrom in 2002).

IMO, if you insert one more top pairing defenseman, this team is Stanley Cup-bound. Someone that is capable of playing 25-30 minutes, and taking the pressure off Dan Boyle. Kind of like Pavel Kubina did in 2003-04. Not even a HHOF-level guy. Just a solid minute-eater.

i agree, duke was not much of a competitor, even though he did put up points in the playoffs. but could that extra top pairing guy be '93 mcsorley? i'm starting to wonder if that run of his has become legendary and overrated only in my own mind, but i remember him being at least as good as blake that year.

boyle tinordi
mcsorley rafalski
macoun duchesne

with lefebvre ready to slot in for duchesne if need be. i'd go to war with those guys.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
i agree, duke was not much of a competitor, even though he did put up points in the playoffs. but could that extra top pairing guy be '93 mcsorley? i'm starting to wonder if that run of his has become legendary and overrated only in my own mind, but i remember him being at least as good as blake that year.

boyle tinordi
mcsorley rafalski
macoun duchesne

with lefebvre ready to slot in for duchesne if need be. i'd go to war with those guys.

or Ledyard depending on how hard you want the war to be fought ;)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
to be honest, i was surprised to see ledyard on those lists above. am i misremembering him, or do i remember his vancouver days more than the rest of his career?

because my memory is that he was at best a third pairing guy who was nowhere close to consistently good playoff guys like macoun and lefebvre, and to put him ahead of '93 mcsorley would be like playing kent huskins and leaving brent seabrook in the press box.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
to be honest, i was surprised to see ledyard on those lists above. am i misremembering him, or do i remember his vancouver days more than the rest of his career?

because my memory is that he was at best a third pairing guy who was nowhere close to consistently good playoff guys like macoun and lefebvre, and to put him ahead of '93 mcsorley would be like playing kent huskins and leaving brent seabrook in the press box.

He wasnt better than McSorley and Lefevbre in their best playoffs I agree. He were more of a heart and soul guy who did whatever he could to win. He might be more of a personal favorite though. ;)

member 83027

Maybe I missed it and if I do I apologize.

I did not see Joe Mullen mentioned.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Its a good first line though. Here my undrafted team

Thomas - Oates - Kerr
G. Courtnall - White - Mullen
Kunitz - Poulin - Keane
Fedotenko - Madden - Doug Brown
Avery

Boyle - Rafalski
Dushesne - Macoun
Ledyard - Tinordi