All-Time Best Hurricanes Goalie

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So once we get down to like #5 it will be unquestionably the worst 5th best goaltender of any franchise other than maybe CBJ right?

We'll just have to see who #5 is :naughty:

But seriously the Blue Jackets have had some icky goalies. I had no idea Boucher had played for them. Atlanta never could seem to find a good goalie if memory serves. Lehtonen, Pavelec...and that's about it.

Reactions: sheriff bart

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They're a little short on history tho. Just saying.

Edit - Nevermind. Thought this was including Whalers as well.

Yeah, I'm not including Whalers history in this, though to be fair the only thing of note that would happen in doing that is Burke being kicked up a couple notches and adding Mike Liut. Sidorkiewicz too I guess but he'd IMHO slot in somewhere behind Khudobin and probably on par with Kidd.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i went with patrick desrochers bc for some reason i loved him when i was younger i remember thinking "he is the goaltender of the future" bc i was like 9 and didnt really know anything about him except he was new

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
If a goalie is having success playing a certain way why try to change that? Sounds like big nose is ruining Lack.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm inclined to agree. I have never played a second of goalie outside of friendly ball hockey games so I may be totally clueless here but if nothing else his head is not where it needs to be.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Didn't feel like this really deserved its own thread but saw this linked from canes country:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11602901

This seemed like the most appropriate thread. I know the issue with lack and marcoux has been talked about both here and on CC but thought it was interesting to hear it from Lacks own mouth

This pisses me off.

Why do you trade for a goalie who plays one way, and then immediately try to make him play another way?

Fire Marcoux. The proof is in the pudding, and this pudding is ****.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Irbe All Day

Arturs Irbe without question. If Cam Ward every makes his own pads and then runs them over with the team bus to break them in then he can be in the conversation. Until then...

irbe&sher-wood_.jpg

Irbe reigns supreme.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
This pisses me off.

Why do you trade for a goalie who plays one way, and then immediately try to make him play another way?

Fire Marcoux. The proof is in the pudding, and this pudding is ****.

Hey remember I said this like a month ago and several people said I was full of ****? Yeah how about that?

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Didn't feel like this really deserved its own thread but saw this linked from canes country:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11602901

This seemed like the most appropriate thread. I know the issue with lack and marcoux has been talked about both here and on CC but thought it was interesting to hear it from Lacks own mouth

A lot of the team's goalies have been on the smaller side, which would seem to favor Marcoux's style more. And Marcoux might be a good coach for Cam and some guys in our system like Ned. But the goalie's style needing to conform to the coach? Doesn't make any sense, Eddie's style didn't seem broken in Vancouver why try to "fix" it. If he doesn't get rid of Marcoux, Ron should at least hire a consultant to work with Eddie. Who knows, maybe Marcoux leaves with Cam in the summer.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
How much say does Peters get in his coaching staff? Seems like Marcoux should have been on the hotseat all year, yet here he still is. Does bringing a former starter from a dumpster fire to an average (at best) starter for one season buy you that much rope?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Goalies making changes to their positioning is nothing new...happens all the time...even the guys that are top of the pecking order do it.

It's weird to see this portrayed as Marcoux forcing Lack way out of his comfort zone and essentially wrecking him...it should be a conversation between the two and Lack should be on board with changes he's making.

Certainly if you are used to playing deep...you have your bearings set...and if you move out a bit, your visual markers and sense of location can be thrown off...but it's not like asking Lundqvist to start playing like Tim Thomas.

The change Marcoux is working on with Lack is something that other goalies have gone through in the past when they leave Melanson.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Goalies making changes to their positioning is nothing new...happens all the time...even the guys that are top of the pecking order do it.

It's weird to see this portrayed as Marcoux forcing Lack way out of his comfort zone and essentially wrecking him...it should be a conversation between the two and Lack should be on board with changes he's making.

Certainly if you are used to playing deep...you have your bearings set...and if you move out a bit, your visual markers and sense of location can be thrown off...but it's not like asking Lundqvist to start playing like Tim Thomas.

The change Marcoux is working on with Lack is something that other goalies have gone through in the past when they leave Melanson.

Why should Lack be on board with changes he's making if the changes he's making take him from a potentially solid starter to a terrible backup with confidence issues? If a goalie has success under Melanson, who gives a **** if other goalies have gone through similar changes after leaving him? I didn't watch enough of Lack in VAN to say if how he was playing would foster sustainable success (perhaps a Dobby case), nor do I know enough about the minutia of the position to offer any serious critique, but if it was working, why change it?

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

If Marcoux had a rep as a great goalie coach with some amazing track record, maybe I'd agree. As of right now, he's the proud papa of two sub .900 goalies.

Citation needed.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
OK, after some research, maybe he has a better rep than I give him credit for. Looks like he was pretty good with Kiprusoff. Still doesn't change the fact that, as of right now, he's turned a .920 goalie into an .880 goalie.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Khudobin is where, again?

Some guys don't have the chops to be a #1. I'm not saying Lack can't be...but I don't think a goalie coach can drive a guy from .920 to .890 on his own.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Khudobin is where, again?

Some guys don't have the chops to be a #1. I'm not saying Lack can't be...but I don't think a goalie coach can drive a guy from .920 to .890 on his own.

Maybe not. There could be tons of other reasons.

But it seems like asking a goaltender to change his style fundamentally could be a large factor in that goalie's declining performance, right?

Maybe it's all in the process of making Lack a better long-term goaltender. Maybe Marcoux's right.

He'd better be ****ing right.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
OK, after some research, maybe he has a better rep than I give him credit for. Looks like he was pretty good with Kiprusoff. Still doesn't change the fact that, as of right now, he's turned a .920 goalie into an .880 goalie.

While 25 years experience in coaching goalies is nothing to sneeze at, could it not just be the Kiprusoff was good despite Marcoux? Or that they meshed well together? Lack has straight up said they want him doing things that he's not comfortable with. It very well could be a Dobby situation, but I hate to repeat this ad nauseum.... if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad