Line Combos: All this time you've been concentrating on Reaves/Klingberg when Brodie's been standing right there...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Liljegren
Giordano - McCabe (Don't really like this last pairing)

Leafs could acquire both Calgary defensemen listed and still hold on to Brodie. I think TJ can still provide value and good defensive play, he just can't be the guy on defence to do it.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-McCabe
Zadorov-Liljegren

Sep 18, 2009
Leafs could acquire both Calgary defensemen listed and still hold on to Brodie. I think TJ can still provide value and good defensive play, he just can't be the guy on defence to do it.

Rielly-Tanev
Brodie-McCabe
Zadorov-Liljegren
Not bad i wou;d ;like to try this

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
This is a wild assessment... retire? Should Zadarov who everyone wants retire? He's not getting younger and is worse than Brodie.

He will be 34 after this season. That's around the age players tend to retire. Lots of players have retired who still likely have some game left, but retire likely due to not wanting a diminishing role.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He will be 34 after this season. That's around the age players tend to retire. Lots of players have retired who still likely have some game left, but retire likely due to not wanting a diminishing role.

I can't think of any... can you name some?

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I can't think of any... can you name some?

Well I don't think anyone is ever going to come out publicly and say "I'm not playing anymore because I can't handle (or don't want) a lesser role"; it's a much better look to say something like it's just time to retire.

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
Said it in the offseason Brodie needs to be moved while he still had any value.

I was told he’s too valuable to be let go.

He doesn’t belong on the top pairing and he makes too much money to play below.

He is not a part of our long term plan on defence, we are playing a 40 year old LHD every game, and our RHD is comprised of Liljegren, essentially a rookie in Timmins, with Niemala as our only real RHD prospect.

Yes, everything is just fine on defence. Dubas set us up real good. :)

I don’t want to hear of any picks or prospects going out the door for LHD before we strengthen our RHD. It is a glaring, gaping hole that we refuse to fix with a real RHD. Hainsey and Brodie just were never it.
Wow people dogged you on that? He was terrible in the playoffs. Cooked.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Said it in the offseason Brodie needs to be moved while he still had any value.

I was told he’s too valuable to be let go.

He doesn’t belong on the top pairing and he makes too much money to play below.

He is not a part of our long term plan on defence, we are playing a 40 year old LHD every game, and our RHD is comprised of Liljegren, essentially a rookie in Timmins, with Niemala as our only real RHD prospect.

Yes, everything is just fine on defence. Dubas set us up real good. :)

I don’t want to hear of any picks or prospects going out the door for LHD before we strengthen our RHD. It is a glaring, gaping hole that we refuse to fix with a real RHD. Hainsey and Brodie just were never it.
I don't disagree, but I hate people dragging Ron Hainsey's name through the mud. He was never a bad player. He was a top 4D for most of his career. It wasn't his fault that Babcock played him in every second of the PK.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Brodie was a warrior when he signed with us. Players like him seem to always get an extra year on their deals. Well this is that year and he's close to done. He's battled hard and been a really good player here. Now he is in decline. Happens to everyone. He should thank his agent. Our defense is terrible and it's not just the defenseman. Takes five skaters to play defense and a good goalie to cover their lapses when they fail. Hopefully Brad is on the phone. We need another Muzzin.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Brodie was far too slow in the playoffs last year and if they make the playoffs and plan to keep him, they should consider resting him down the stretch.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't disagree, but I hate people dragging Ron Hainsey's name through the mud. He was never a bad player. He was a top 4D for most of his career. It wasn't his fault that Babcock played him in every second of the PK.
Agree with everything you say here.

Didn’t intent to disparage Hainsey. He did everything that was asked of him, rightly and wrongly.

My point was more the repeated failure to add a true, long term RHD partner for Rielly, as opposed to stop gaps.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie is getting worse and becoming more unreliable as time goes on. Seems vulnerable to getting hit and pushed out of his comfort zone.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This team seems to have too many gaps to fill before the playoffs. I don’t see it this year. The D has to basically be entirely overhauled, and we need a legit goalie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This team seems to have too many gaps to fill before the playoffs. I don’t see it this year. The D has to basically be entirely overhauled, and we need a legit goalie.

I would almost rather unload than go on all on this shaky foundation. Restock the cupboards, bail on the season and reload with bigger pieces figured out in the summer. Maybe a new coach and new attitude before throwing more picks and prospects out the door to chase after this.

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would almost rather unload than go on all on this shaky foundation. Restock the cupboards, bail on the season and reload with bigger pieces figured out in the summer. Maybe a new coach and new attitude before throwing more picks and prospects out the door to chase after this.

Agreed. Deadline you’ll overpay for veterans. In the summer you can find guys with term/longevity left for a similar price. Zadorov wants to come here, Tanev is from here, although neither would be my “ideals” I’d rather take a swing when they can be brought in without giving up assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad