Line Combos: All this time you've been concentrating on Reaves/Klingberg when Brodie's been standing right there...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
...dude.

He has too much of an important role on a contending team to be this bad. He has to be way better than that. He's not a top 4 player anymore. He might be a 7 now.

My Dude, what are we going to do with Brodie? Also, what's wrong with you? Quit watching Reaves/Klingberg. You need to bring it!

PS- Dubas is laughing at us right now.

• Haha
Reactions: hullsy47 and arso40

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
...dude.

He has too much of an important role on a contending team to be this bad. He has to be way better than that. He's not a top 4 player anymore. He might be a 7 now.

My Dude, what are we going to do with Brodie? Also, what's wrong with you? Quit watching Reaves/Klingberg. You need to bring it!dubas

PS- Dubas is laughing at us right now.
Trel8ving must cringe every time brodie is playing period
He let the guy go and he really hasn't gotten better
I was never a dubas fan but if it's true Shanahan nixed dubas trading 1of Nylander or marner for defense upgrade then shame on shanny
Woll never saw 1puck last night
Brodie is almost as week as kilinberg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I was never a dubas fan but if it's true Shanahan nixed dubas trading 1of Nylander or marner for defense upgrade then shame on shanny

How do we know that's true? I haven't seen anything that constitutes proof. If it is indeed the case he should be fired along with Keefe and the team should just fall in line under BT as Pres/GM ( Not like these teams need a guy like Shanahan anyways.).

Little late now to fix that problem but Nylander would fetch a lot even though its probably better to trade Marner (NMC)

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
in trying to remember, it was either training camp in 2021 or 2022, not 100% sure ... but dubas was asked straight up about the core and he said (paraphrasing) we discussed this, do we want to change direction and decided no, we would continue on ............
now this tells us nothing, BUT i add the fact he requested more autonomy and shanabang promptly fired him and went all damage control in his presser that was cringeworthy in trying to make himself sound like he was the guardian of all things leafy makes me wonder if dubas wanted to move off the core and shanabang vetoed it?
timing fits?
we shall never know but nothing that this team has done under his watch inspires confidence

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Said it in the offseason Brodie needs to be moved while he still had any value.

I was told he’s too valuable to be let go.

He doesn’t belong on the top pairing and he makes too much money to play below.

He is not a part of our long term plan on defence, we are playing a 40 year old LHD every game, and our RHD is comprised of Liljegren, essentially a rookie in Timmins, with Niemala as our only real RHD prospect.

Yes, everything is just fine on defence. Dubas set us up real good. :)

I don’t want to hear of any picks or prospects going out the door for LHD before we strengthen our RHD. It is a glaring, gaping hole that we refuse to fix with a real RHD. Hainsey and Brodie just were never it.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Said it in the offseason Brodie needs to be moved while he still had any value.

I was told he’s too valuable to be let go.

He doesn’t belong on the top pairing and he makes too much money to play below.

He is not a part of our long term plan on defence, we are playing a 40 year old LHD every game, and our RHD is comprised of Liljegren, essentially a rookie in Timmins, with Niemala as our only real RHD prospect.

Yes, everything is just fine on defence. Dubas set us up real good. :)

I don’t want to hear of any picks or prospects going out the door for LHD before we strengthen our RHD. It is a glaring, gaping hole that we refuse to fix with a real RHD. Hainsey and Brodie just were never it.
Brodie’s game has been going downhill for over a year now. He’s also too soft for my liking playing that high up in the lineup and he’s been taking more and more stupid penalties IMO.

The guy has had A LOT going on off ice so I definitely see how that could have affected his play on ice unfortunately.

He's definitely someone I think we should upgrade on.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Brodie’s game has been going downhill for over a year now. He’s also too soft for my liking playing that high up in the lineup and he’s been taking more and more stupid penalties IMO.

The guy has had A LOT going on off ice so I definitely see how that could have affected his play on ice unfortunately.

He's definitely someone I think we should upgrade on.
I’d be open to him re-signed for $2.5-3 to play 3LHD when Gio retires after this season, but if he wants more then he needs to be traded now while he still has any remaining trade value. $5m in cap is significant.

Even if he’s agreeable to that salary, he needs to get off our top pairing. We need a true RHD for Rielly immediately.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Our goalies are currently 23rd in GAA in the league. We definitely need an upgrade on defence and in net. Brodie has been prone to careless errors and penalties for the past year.

Reactions: TMLAM34

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
McCabe looks far worse to me.
There are times he's looked ok, and other times he's a mess as much as Brodie. Timmins has looked gawdawful but he's got the excuse he was injured. Rielly recently has been back to his riverboat gambling ways. Giordano does some good things but he's 40 and prone to too many dumb penalties. This is not a go deep in the playoffs type of defence. It might not even be a win a round defence.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Brodie is just another pile of shit on the back

Klingberg McCabe Brodie Gio (sometimes) are all just piles of shit. We have Laegesson and Benoit playing significant NHL minutes.

Worst backend we have had in decades

Reactions: hotpaws

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Rielly/Brodie has a 53% xGF and a 66% GF...

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 11.06.16 AM.png

I don't think our D is as bad as other people think... let's re-evaluate when they are healthy.

Klingberg sucked a lot though.

Overreaction after a loss like usual.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think most of the players on the backend, minus maybe Klingberg (though he wasnt healthy) are capable of contributing quality minutes but being asked to do too much right now. I think the we should be targeting a top pairing D to push everyone down in minutes and role. Willing to bet that makes a big difference

The goaltending just really not being particularly good is not helping at all either.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Dubas was going after Karlsson who is even worst then Brodie defensively.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
..the guy is a good defender, had a shit night last night. Keefe to my surprise actually only played Brodie 18 min last night ... the guy is going through some heavy stuff with his wife's illness ... he gets a pass from me.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
..the guy is a good defender, had a shit night last night. Keefe to my surprise actually only played Brodie 18 min last night ... the guy is going through some heavy stuff with his wife's illness ... he gets a pass from me.
If he’s not mentally prepared to play he should take a leave of absence, nothing wrong with that.

addition by subtraction………

Reactions: LeafSteel and klmdg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Brodie is a/the problem, who else on that blueline is the solution?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If Brodie is a/the problem, who else on that blueline is the solution?
It's a complex problem. In no way my Dude did I say in the OP that he needs a one way ticket to Peoria. The team needs him. He's capable of being better, but recently he's not. To answer your question is maybe to answer several questions. Some kind of demotion, trade, promotion, LTR, etc. is in order. I think last year we saw wholesale changes in the bottom 6. Maybe we'll see one or two additions on the blueline at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's a complex problem. In no way my Dude did I say in the OP that he needs a one way ticket to Peoria. The team needs him. He's capable of being better, but recently he's not. To answer your question is maybe to answer several questions. Some kind of demotion, trade, promotion, LTR, etc. is in order. I think last year we saw wholesale changes in the bottom 6. Maybe we'll see one or two additions on the blueline at the trade deadline.

The issue is that demoting Brodie from his current spot/role requires promoting someone else, not to mention how much the injuries to Klingberg and Liljegren severely test the blueline's depth (or its lack thereof).

Last edited:

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Brodie needs to play less is what I think needs to happen. It's probably time for him to either accept a lesser role, or retire after this season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Brodie needs to play less is what I think needs to happen. It's probably time for him to either accept a lesser role, or retire after this season.

This is a wild assessment... retire? Should Zadarov who everyone wants retire? He's not getting younger and is worse than Brodie.

Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Liljegren
Giordano - McCabe (Don't really like this last pairing)

Our D is the same in this situation... not sure it got better.

Gio/McCabe is also taking hard assignments and excelling right now, so not sure why you don't like them.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Liljegren
Giordano - McCabe (Don't really like this last pairing)
While the ideas appear to be sound enough, we're potentially a ways away from that top four coming together easily (Calgary falling out of the playoff race; Liljegren returning from injury to hold down a spot in the top four).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad