All this equipment necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
Hi all,

I've played street hockey for years and switched to ice recently and absolutely love it. The only annoying thing is the amount of equipment that has to be carried to every game.

I've played at a beginner's clinic games before and I found that I didn't fall at all and only took one weak wrist shot on the shin pad. Do you think it is necessary to wear full equipment for this situation?

Also at a shinny hockey game, I wore nothing except for gloves and helmets and had no problem. Although my knees hurt a little bit from falling twice (I'm 28 btw).

So when is it safe to play without shoulder pad & hockey pants? Those two pieces of equipment force me to use a large hockey bag as opposed to my normal gym bag.

I also found elbow pads to be pretty useless so far.

Thanks

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I would always wear shins with out a doubt and pants for that matter. Shoulders are completely up to you and I wouldn't play with out elbows but I know a few people who never play with them even in their lower level leagues and have never had a problem.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
I tend to think that they all are necessary. I hadn't fallen once this season up until a couple of weeks ago. I got taken out (Complete accident) and went shoulder first into the boards. Grade 2 AC joint separation, even with shoulder pads. For me its not that i'm worried i would fall, its that someone else might make a mistake at my expense. You don't think they're important until the one time you need them, then you regret making the decision not to wear them.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Oh God.

The only thing that could be seen as non mandatory are shoulder pads. You'd be stupid to play regularly without anything else. Or an extremely noneffective player.

Part of the sport is the gear. If you're too opposed to carry-ing a bag, invest a nice rolling bag.

But trust me, you'll want the protection from the lower half, the elbows and the head. It's only a matter of time until you get hurt by not wearing pads.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Shin guards are a must in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of playing without them. Pants I wouldn't play without but sometimes I see people playing without them at late night pickups. Elbows are pretty useful, but I don't care for shoulder pads since I don't play checking hockey. Don't personally care for any face protection either but I leave the ear guards in on my helmet.

Also, if you play without a cup you're just asking for trouble.

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

I took a kind of hard wrist shot off my shin with One80's and it stung quite a bit. Can't imagine not having shins, thats really crazy imo. Is it really that terrible to wear pants and shins? :amazed:

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys.

After reading about shot blocking bruises & injuries (i like shot blocking), I am now definitely going to don the full gear when playing a game where there's a goalie.

For shinny, I'll use shin pad.

Not Threadworthy

Aug 23, 2010
Not where I wanna be
Yes it is. It's always about the other person- you never know what they are going to do, by accident or on purpose. Plus, you might as well get used to wearing it now if you ever want to play in a league.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

I primarily play inline and used to not wear anything covering my quads. I'd stopped a couple pucks to the thighs but this one dude put a full slap blazer directly into me once. I was black, blue, and yellow for almost 2 months. I picked up a girdle w/quad padding shortly after, though I still don't always wear it. I still block shots a lot, but thankfully nothing has done as much damage in a while. I've also caught them to the torso but I still don't wear upper body protection since we don't play full contact anyway.

I wear shins, elbows & pants even when I play stick & puck on the ice. Just the other day one guy went to stop and somehow ended up nearly doing a cartwheel and throwing his stick about 10 feet. You never know when you could lose your balance or possibly have a stick thrown at you :laugh:

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California

I've played a couple pickups against a guy that played Junior A then NCAA II. I once blocked his easy going wrist shot square on my shinpads. It sent a sharp pain thru my shin. No way I'd step in front of any shot without full gear.

Let me know how you like those floating bone chips in your elbow after you take one fall on them.

Thesensation19*

Its all pretty necessary when ever your playing with multiple people even in open. You never know what will happen. I didnt bring a cup, never get hit there and I figure myself good enough to protect myself from a shot or accident there. The pants are pretty protective, the glove by its side... the odds are slim.

And the ONE GAME I didnt wear it. AI deflected a pass and the puck tipped... JUST TIPPED... my *****. I was down like Kennedy. Done for 10 minutes. On the bench. And no one gave me any sympathy. Why wasnt I wearing equipment?

I suggest all of the standard equipment. Visor At a minimum though I dont always do at open hockey. But if you have a choice you should wear a visor and all the standards. Saying you dont want to carry it is weak. Carrying a bag full of equipment makes us strong.

Past open hockey, I would even suggest a mouthguard. And depending on your skating, I would HIGHLY reccomend neck guards. You never know.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Hi all,

I've played street hockey for years and switched to ice recently and absolutely love it. The only annoying thing is the amount of equipment that has to be carried to every game.

I've played at a beginner's clinic games before and I found that I didn't fall at all and only took one weak wrist shot on the shin pad. Do you think it is necessary to wear full equipment for this situation?

Also at a shinny hockey game, I wore nothing except for gloves and helmets and had no problem. Although my knees hurt a little bit from falling twice (I'm 28 btw).

So when is it safe to play without shoulder pad & hockey pants? Those two pieces of equipment force me to use a large hockey bag as opposed to my normal gym bag.

Thanks

Of course you find them useless. You haven't been hit by a hard shot or a slash in an unprotected area yet.

I don't know how many times my equipment has saved me from certain death. Pretty much everything aside from my shoulder and elbow pads has taken a serious beating before.

Even if you decide to be a completely useless pylon on the ice, avoiding shot blocks, boards and any kind of contact, you're still bound to get hit by a stray puck or some doofus who can't skate or keep their stick grounded.

If you love hockey, which I'm sure anyone who has played do, the bulky equipment is a burden you put up with.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Just wear gear, you're 28 right? you need all 4 of your limbs to work and be productive.

No point in fracturing your elbow and putting yourself out of commisson for rec hockey.

There are more important things in life and staying safe while playing hockey is huge.

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
I primarily play inline and used to not wear anything covering my quads. I'd stopped a couple pucks to the thighs but this one dude put a full slap blazer directly into me once. I was black, blue, and yellow for almost 2 months. I picked up a girdle w/quad padding shortly after, though I still don't always wear it. I still block shots a lot, but thankfully nothing has done as much damage in a while. I've also caught them to the torso but I still don't wear upper body protection since we don't play full contact anyway.

Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
Past open hockey, I would even suggest a mouthguard. And depending on your skating, I would HIGHLY reccomend neck guards. You never know.

What neck guard do you recommend? I tried one on (forgot the name) and I couldn't even bend my neck down.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

Not as heavy but does damage. I was an idiot when I was in middle school and played goalie for our roller hockey team for 5-6 years. I wouldnt wear a cup, luckily I never got hit in the nuts other than a couple of thigh shots. All because I had a crappy cup that did not fit right at all. I will make sure if I ever have kids and they play hockey that they get proper fitting equipment.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Not as heavy but does damage. I was an idiot when I was in middle school and played goalie for our roller hockey team for 5-6 years. I wouldnt wear a cup, luckily I never got hit in the nuts other than a couple of thigh shots. All because I had a crappy cup that did not fit right at all. I will make sure if I ever have kids and they play hockey that they get proper fitting equipment.

Wtf???? Goalie without a cup??

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

No I havent blocked a shot on my quads with out pads while playing hockey but I did play Lacrosse up to JrA and I have taken lacrosse balls off my legs.

Last game (hockey) i took a wrist shot off my hamstring from a team mate and I have a nice palm sized deep purplish bruise to show for it.

I've played a couple pickups against a guy that played Junior A then NCAA II. I once blocked his easy going wrist shot square on my shinpads. It sent a sharp pain thru my shin. No way I'd step in front of any shot without full gear.

Let me know how you like those floating bone chips in your elbow after you take one fall on them.

I had those in both my elbows from minor hockey days. Basically getting hit and smashing my elbows down on the dasher with my elbows pads having ridden up or down my arm.

Elbow pads are a must.

Have taken a puck off that area but lacrosse balls with a cup on yes. Hurt a ton so Id not like to know what it would be like without one.

reecardo

Mar 1, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Impact shorts, Shin pads, and gloves

I will admit I do not wear a girdle or a helmet to shinny or open skates. I do however wear impact shorts and shin pads, with a pair of skate/warmup pants and a jersey on top for shinney. At stick & pucks or pickup I wear full gear. Glad I did today, had a 130# kid take my legs out from under me at a stick & shoot, he was skating backwards blind at top speed. Without the gear, would have missed the league game tonight for sure. The bag is a pain, but significantly less painful then the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad