Prospect Info: "All Things AHL" Part II...

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Whatever you want to call it, Beach likes to scrap.

This is true. In 34 games played last season he got into maybe eight or nine fights. He likes to scrap.

In fact, Cody Beach led the Wolves in fights with eight. I think that maybe qualifies as "enforcer". Corrected I stand.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
To my knowlege, the only two players that I'm aware of that are signed by the Wolves (and not by the Blues) are Matt Climie and Jake Chelios. That's bound to change though and IMO, as the Wolves sign guys to AHL contracts, that's going to bump some of our lesser prospects to ECHL Kalamazoo.

Veilleux, Beach, Wannstrom, etc. spent some time in the ECHL last season so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again. Here's the minor leagues of the Blues/Wolves that I'm aware of.

Rattie
Porter/Jaskin (1)
Andronov (2)
McRae
McCarthy
Ferriero
Cannone
Wannstrom
Beach
Veilleux
Tesink
Pochiro
Doty

Edmundson
Hakanpaa
Shields
Regner
Butler (3)
Chelios *

Climie *
Binnington
Lundstrom

(1) I figure one of Porter or Jaskin will end up in the AHL...most likely Porter
(2) Andronov is still an unsigned RFA but I'm assuming the Blues eventually get him signed
(3) While the Blues have 8 NHL caliber d-men at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Butler beats out one of Cole/Leopold for the 7th spot and then Cole/Leopold is traded to save money/conserve cap space.
* Players signed by the Wolves to AHL contracts

Lundstrom is destined for the ECHL but so are some of those other guys too IMO (guys like Doty, Tesink, Pochiro, etc.) as I don't think there's any way the Wolves go with that inexperienced of a roster. More guys will eventually be signed directly by the Wolves which will push some of our guys to the ECHL. Long story short, I don't see the Wolves roster as all that full yet as the Wolves are destined to sign their typical number of AHL vets which will push some of lesser prospects to the ECHL.

Cole has been improving slowly but steadily. I think he is playing at a better overall level than Butler. I'd be VERY surprised if Butler beats out Cole and Cole is traded because of that.

sdaltons

Aug 17, 2010
To my knowlege, the only two players that I'm aware of that are signed by the Wolves (and not by the Blues) are Matt Climie and Jake Chelios. That's bound to change though and IMO, as the Wolves sign guys to AHL contracts, that's going to bump some of our lesser prospects to ECHL Kalamazoo.

Veilleux, Beach, Wannstrom, etc. spent some time in the ECHL last season so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again. Here's the minor leagues of the Blues/Wolves that I'm aware of.

Rattie
Porter/Jaskin (1)
Andronov (2)
McRae
McCarthy
Ferriero
Cannone
Wannstrom
Beach
Veilleux
Tesink
Pochiro
Doty

Edmundson
Hakanpaa
Shields
Regner
Butler (3)
Chelios *

Climie *
Binnington
Lundstrom

(1) I figure one of Porter or Jaskin will end up in the AHL...most likely Porter
(2) Andronov is still an unsigned RFA but I'm assuming the Blues eventually get him signed
(3) While the Blues have 8 NHL caliber d-men at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Butler beats out one of Cole/Leopold for the 7th spot and then Cole/Leopold is traded to save money/conserve cap space.
* Players signed by the Wolves to AHL contracts

Lundstrom is destined for the ECHL but so are some of those other guys too IMO (guys like Doty, Tesink, Pochiro, etc.) as I don't think there's any way the Wolves go with that inexperienced of a roster. More guys will eventually be signed directly by the Wolves which will push some of our guys to the ECHL. Long story short, I don't see the Wolves roster as all that full yet as the Wolves are destined to sign their typical number of AHL vets which will push some of lesser prospects to the ECHL.

now we have to add Jeremy Welsh and Nate Prosser to this list.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
According to the Wolves twitter feed they just signed 2 more forwards and 2 more dmen, there is going to be quite the logjam in the AHL, I wish we still had control over it

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
According to the Wolves twitter feed they just signed 2 more forwards and 2 more dmen, there is going to be quite the logjam in the AHL, I wish we still had control over it

Yep, they re-signed RW Shane Harper and signed F Terry Broadhurst, D Mathieu Brodeur, and D Colten Hayes for the 2014-2015 season.

Why do wish the Blues had control over the roster situation? It's not like the Wolves coaches and managers did anything to prevent a Blues' prospect from playing.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Yep, they re-signed RW Shane Harper and signed F Terry Broadhurst, D Mathieu Brodeur, and D Colten Hayes for the 2014-2015 season.

Why do wish the Blues had control over the roster situation? It's not like the Wolves coaches and managers did anything to prevent a Blues' prospect from playing.

I just want our guys getting big ice time and playing in key situations, not sure if that's the case or not just seems like they do their own thing without caring about developing our prospects

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I just want our guys getting big ice time and playing in key situations, not sure if that's the case or not just seems like they do their own thing without caring about developing our prospects

Well, I watched the Wolves a lot last season and follow them pretty closely (and have for a long time now) and the Wolves are about one thing and one thing only; winning.

From what I have seen Wolves coaches and management did nothing to hinder a Blues prospect, but I understand your concerns.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Well, I watched the Wolves a lot last season and follow them pretty closely (and have for a long time now) and the Wolves are about one thing and one thing only; winning.

From what I have seen Wolves coaches and management did nothing to hinder a Blues prospect, but I understand your concerns.

and if our guys are not good enough to be part of a winning team in the AHL then they probably are not good enough to be part of a winning team in the NHL

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm glad guys like Corey Locke and Mark Mancari are off the team, but I am a little miffed that Bolduc was not re-signed by the Blues. He was a real joy to watch and has a mean streak in him. He can be a little nasty.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
and if our guys are not good enough to be part of a winning team in the AHL then they probably are not good enough to be part of a winning team in the NHL

That's not true, though. There are numerous players who are good and on losing teams. Look at JT with the Islanders for awhile. Or even Stamkos/St. Louis with Tampa one year. Sedins last year. Kessel. Luongo. RNH/Hall/Eberle. Giordano. The list goes on.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's not true, though. There are numerous players who are good and on losing teams. Look at JT with the Islanders for awhile. Or even Stamkos/St. Louis with Tampa one year. Sedins last year. Kessel. Luongo. RNH/Hall/Eberle. Giordano. The list goes on.

I think he's saying that if the prospects can't make the cut, can't force their way into the AHL lineup, they aren't going to be able to do it in the NHL either. If Chicago is focused on winning, they're going to play the best players. If they aren't one of the best players, they need to work harder, improve, and force their way in. If they can't do that, then why worry about if they get playing time?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think he's saying that if the prospects can't make the cut, can't force their way into the AHL lineup, they aren't going to be able to do it in the NHL either. If Chicago is focused on winning, they're going to play the best players. If they aren't one of the best players, they need to work harder, improve, and force their way in. If they can't do that, then why worry about if they get playing time?

Because you need playing time to develop.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
ECHL will get you playing time. I don't have a problem with being focused on winning. Competition forces players to get better.

But the speed of the game is so different, both between NHL and AHL, and also AHL and ECHL.

I don't disagree however. I do think competition is best. I just think that we have so many prospects at the AHL level that I would like it to be competition amongst the prospects. And I'd like to see chemistry develop amongst our prospects rather than our prospect and some AHL filler.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Coach Anderson and GM Wendell Young have done nothing whatsoever to hinder the development of the Blues' prospects.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
D Evan Oberg has been signed by the Portland Pirates of the AHL, which opens up a spot on the Wolves and F Eric Kattelus has been signed by Kalamazoo of the ECHL where he spent most of his time last season.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Yes, but the guys you mentioned are good enough to play and excel at the level they are playing at. They have the talent and drive to succeed, even if it is on a bad team. If you can't even make the AHL squad, you probably don't have much of a chance of developing into something at the NHL level anyway.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Some will be sent down to the CHL or ECHL. The Wolves sign more depth than most if not all AHL teams.

That is correct. The Wolves carried 30 players on the roster at many times during the season. There would 6-8 healthy scratches each game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad