NFL: All the important cuts & waiver claims listed here

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Guys from top programs grade out great all the time. The Patriots used to do the same thing with Alabama and Florida guys. Saints always draft from Ohio State. The problem is when it's the top thing on the list.

I think Baltimore is big on Alabama/big name program guys also.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Gruden and his love of guys from elite programs that aren’t regarded as stars for their team.
Ferrell from Clemson
Jacobs from Alabama
Ruggs from Alabama
Arnette from Ohio State
Leatherwood from Alabama
Add in Abrams from Miss St (SEC)

Based off only the board those guys could have been:
Josh Allen (Jax)
Wirfs (TB) they obviously needed a OT in one of those 2 years.
Likely still had a shot at Ruggs at the Arnette spot or Jefferson was on the board.
Darrisaw was on the board when they grabbed Learherwood. Or if they needed a CB then Farley from Ten or Newsome from Cle were the next 2 CB taken.

Just massive wiffs.

I seem to remember almost everyone having Lamb and Jeudy higher than Ruggs, but Ruggs was just the most obvious Raiders pick ever. Jefferson was always #4, to this day I still don't know what the Eagles were doing there, but as a Vikings fan I thank them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Armon Watts a surprise cut by the Vikings. Was projected to be a starter. Had 5 sacks last year as a rotational 3-technique. Guess he's just not really a fit for 3-4. Turned around and traded for Ross Blacklock to replace him but Watts has arguably been the better so far in their careers. So we'll see.
If you get caught in a regime change who changes the scheme, it’s tough.

Fine to like guys from big programs. But Gruden over drafted those guys. Good players on great programs but they were not top end guys in the program. They Do fine when they have elite talent around them but clearly not the same level of player without that surrounding talent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah they do it too. Jeff Ireland turned that around for the Saints, too.

If the Saints, Patriots, and Ravens do it, hard to not want to follow that example. You’re also supposed to know the guys on the ground in those programs to give you the intel, too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Armon Watts a surprise cut by the Vikings. Was projected to be a starter. Had 5 sacks last year as a rotational 3-technique. Guess he's just not really a fit for 3-4. Turned around and traded for Ross Blacklock to replace him but Watts has arguably been the better so far in their careers. So we'll see.

Biggest surprise for the Vikings. He's bad against the run but probably the best pass rusher among the D-Line group.

They saved money with the move so I wonder if this is just setting up for yet another Sheldon Richardson return. Dude just somehow always ends up back with the Vikings haha. Apparently he was at training camp this year as well watching from the sideline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

How bad is the Bears roster when you are claiming what other clubs would deem their 6th best WR/CB/LB/RB/ etc 3rd best RT and so on.

But maybe it’s also a scheme Situation for some of the cuts. A change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defence or from a zone coverage secondary to a press man one will see changes on a defence of guys who just can’t make the transition.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
How bad is the Bears roster when you are claiming what other clubs would deem their 6th best WR/CB/LB/RB/ etc 3rd best RT and so on.

But maybe it’s also a scheme Situation for some of the cuts. A change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defence or from a zone coverage secondary to a press man one will see changes on a defence of guys who just can’t make the transition.
It’s a bad roster. Leatherwood is worth the claim and like the watts claim.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
They also cut two other 2021 3rd rounders G Wyatt Davis and LB Chazz Surratt. Rick Spielman made 7 picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds last year and 4 are already gone after one season. (5th rd TE Zack Davidson and 6th rd DT Jalen Twyman were also waived today). Now some or all may be be back on the Practice Squad, but still. But the new regime didn't pick these guys so they have no ties.

Now I know you can't hit on every draft pick but 3rds and 4ths aren't just throw aways like 6ths and 7ths. And for 4 of 7 to bust that fast is atrocious. (Mond was always a project and Surratt was seen as a reach at the time to begin with.)

Just to be fair and not pile on, the picks that remain from last year do seem to be on the right trajectory:

LT Christian Darrisaw (1st) looks to be an above average LT after 1 year,
DE Patrick Jones (the last of the four 3rds) has flashed at times and had a great camp.
S Cam Bynum (4th) is a starter,
RB Kene Nwangwu (4th) ran 2 kicks back last year, and has talent to be a gadget guy
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette (5th) also had a good camp and seems to be a depth WR/PR at the worst.

So you're batting almost .500 but to miss that badly on three 3rds and a 4th still isn't good.

And now Smith-Marsette was just waived to make room for Reagor. Another strike for this draft class. Guess KAM/O'Connell saw something different than fans and writers have. We'll see if he clears waivers and ends up back on the PS.

For the other guys. Mond was claimed by the Browns, Surratt went to the Jets PS. Robinson and Twyman wound up back on the Vikings PS.

Reactions: Avs_19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And now Smith-Marsette was just waived to make room for Reagor. Another strike for this draft class. Guess KAM/O'Connell saw something different than fans and writers have. We'll see if he clears waivers and ends up back on the PS.

For the other guys. Mond was claimed by the Browns, Surratt went to the Jets PS. Robinson and Twyman wound up back on the Vikings PS.
Only so much room on the 53 man roster. You have 4 draft classes of rookie contracts. Not all will survive the final cuts. Vikings had extra picks in 2021 like 11 or so selections made.

New regime as well. If they switched schemes then some guys won’t fit into it. That’s football as GMs draft for their coaches and their schemes. 3/4 or 4/3 defence. Man vs zone coverage schemes. Zone blocking for OL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

This is always something I've been curious about with that set up. Mayock had his share of big misses as a draft analyst but I also thought he was really good and one of the best doing it. He then gets a GM gig and his top picks end up being terrible year in year out. Eisen seems to be implying Gruden made the top picks and Mayock/scouts the ones later on and that has been speculated by others as well. Eisen is also very good friends Mayock though so that part can't be ignored. Either way, it's almost impressive how badly the Raiders messed those picks up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This is always something I've been curious about with that set up. Mayock had his share of big misses as a draft analyst but I also thought he was really good and one of the best doing it. He then gets a GM gig and his top picks end up being terrible year in year out. Eisen seems to be implying Gruden made the top picks and Mayock/scouts the ones later on and that has been speculated by others as well. Eisen is also very good friends Mayock though so that part can't be ignored. Either way, it's almost impressive how badly the Raiders messed those picks up.

Yeah I think this is the one. Plus, Eisen is an NFL Network guy, he’s gonna be tight with Mayock. The Raiders have been satisfactory later in drafts where the head coach doesn’t know who anyone is. You see all the huge busts, yet the Raiders made the playoffs last year and increased their win total 3 years in a row, and last year with Gruden getting fired. Sure Gruden wasn’t an all-bad coach but it’s like the less he knew to do, the better

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I think this is the one. Plus, Eisen is an NFL Network guy, he’s gonna be tight with Mayock. The Raiders have been satisfactory later in drafts where the head coach doesn’t know who anyone is. You see all the huge busts, yet the Raiders made the playoffs last year and increased their win total 3 years in a row, and last year with Gruden getting fired. Sure Gruden wasn’t an all-bad coach but it’s like the less he knew to do, the better
Like carroll over the past few years the HC had too much power and didn’t allow the scouts and GM to do their job.
HC identifies the positions and players he wants to replace in the off season. GM and scouts based on the scheme looks for players who fit and confirm with HC. Same goes with the draft. What holes are remaining but also what are the best prospects especially in rounds 1 and 2.

Can always find an decent enough starter in free agency to not reach at the draft.

Have to wonder what a GM with the clout would have done to address the raiders needs. Maybe give the HC like Gruden or Carroll the final say between 2 players that the scouts have narrowed the list down to.

Raiders passed on OT Darrisaw to take Leatherwood. Cause Leatherwood was a road grater run blocker but couldn’t develop his pass blocking. NFL today need better pass blocking than run blocking.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Eisen knew what he was talking about, I’m sure Mayock and him talk so he gets the sense that Gruden was calling the shots.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Eisen knew what he was talking about, I’m sure Mayock and him talk so he gets the sense that Gruden was calling the shots.
It was in his context that he had say over the GM.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1662067759879.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad