Post-Game Talk: All-Star Weekend

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I didn't get to watch, did I miss anything?
Pasternak poke-checked Ovie about to take one of his patented shots from the top of the circle and stole the puck from him. Turned around and was all alone, Ovi tossed his stick toward Pasta but it was a joke. Pasta laughed all the way to Sorokin who he then beat cleanly for his second goal of the night.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sorry. You are wrong. Gitty is stupid looking and Blades would kick his ass :D

1675624990022.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Beyond cheap entertainment I would think the NHL would want the kids to see hockey skills on display if the goal is to build a generation of hockey fans.

A one day gimmick is out of mind the next day for most I'd imagine. Vegas and this one shifted away from hockey and towards gimmick to a ridiculous level.

Breakaway challenges, true hardest shots, stick handling etc. should be the focus. Having kids decide they want to try it themselves. The nonsense the NHL is doing lately would be a tough sell towards that goal.

You would think so. But there will be some researchers or focus groups or social media gurus or somebody who must be telling the league that the gimmick stuff is what kids want to see and is what will generate the most interest and coverage. It's not coming out of nowhere. Is that argument right though? My hunch, like yours, says it's not. But I genuinely don't know, hence my question.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Pasternak poke-checked Ovie about to take one of his patented shots from the top of the circle and stole the puck from him. Turned around and was all alone, Ovi tossed his stick toward Pasta but it was a joke. Pasta laughed all the way to Sorokin who he then beat cleanly for his second goal of the night.
I think Ovie was truly pissed off at Pasta for making him look bad

awww poor Ovie

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
And yet Blades still made a sweet Krejci-esque sauce pass at 2:03 to the Florida kitty who blew an open net chance.

I guess the Mascots also competed in dodgeball a couple days ago:

I guess you see more of Blades at the games. He can skate and is a better dancer than most. I don't know who is under the costume, but they can skate very well and have a sense of humor.

We were outside of the arena before a game once and a Ranger fan was near us. The Rags fan had a Rags hat on, and Blades grabbed it, wiped his ass with it and gave it back.

OK...I am done arguing over the mascots.

1675625179096.png

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Gritty is stupid looking. Blades has plenty of personality.

OK...I am done arguing over the mascots.
I love Blades. He's a great mascot who looks like he's got his shit together

Gritty looks not only stupid but bordering on insanity and I hate the Flyers

..but each to his own

Reactions: Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I watched a rerun of the skills, and as much of a disaster as it was I think it could have been worse.

I think they were close in many aspects. I liked the golf thing, i liked some shootout attempts, and i didn’t totally hate the surfboard dunk tank thing. Then the hardest shot/fastest skater/accuracy thing are all classics.

The trouble i had was the commercials and the lack of continuity. They were all over the place. Show one shootout attempt then they cut to something random, then show the surfboard thing, then something random followed by a fastest skater round. Everything with commercials in between.

They need to find the personalities and get them on the air during the more dull moments. Subban and Maroon weren’t all stars but they had some mic time, and weren’t afraid to talk or look like idiots. They need more characters. Mic up everybody you can. Helmet cams. The whole 9. Record it Saturday afternoon, cut it up and show it Saturday night.

While we are overhauling it all, kids only in the first few rows, all the way around. Players tossing pucks and swag over the glass and chatting with the kids nonstop. So many times they showed the ice and there would be a line of nhl all stars sitting doing nothing. INTERACT! Go say hi. Thanks for coming, hope you’re having fun. Who’s your favorite team? Oh the bruins, cool let me go get Pasta hold on.

There are SO MANY minor tweaks to this that could make it work.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You would think so. But there will be some researchers or focus groups or social media gurus or somebody who must be telling the league that the gimmick stuff is what kids want to see and is what will generate the most interest and coverage. It's not coming out of nowhere. Is that argument right though? My hunch, like yours, says it's not. But I genuinely don't know, hence my question.

Will never happen but NHL should go to a NHL National Team format for the All Star game with a 3\3 format, let goalies play puck behind net to reduce injury chances to dmen. Play 10 minute periods over the 3 days amongst 8 countries Canada-US- Sweden-Finland-Russia- Czechoslovakia Switzerland\Germany (Last two combined).

The current format is completely unwatchable.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I turned it on the other day and they were pitch n' putting with hockey sticks on an actual golf gourse.

I couldn't get past that. I was afraid the rest of the festivities might even be SILLIER.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad