Post-Game Talk: All-Star Weekend

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Perhaps it’ll be different when the years, hockey miles, and gray hairs begin to accumulate. David Pastrnak might beg off an All-Star Game someday, as veteran superstars of the past have done. He had a great time at his third go-round.
“A little hectic, long couple days, but it’s a fun event. Especially today. The game is fun,” said Pastrnak, who also played in 2019 in San Jose and in 2020, when he was MVP in St. Louis.
In South Florida, the Atlantic’s Matthew Tkachuk took home the car keys.
“Homeboys got the win here in front of their home crowd,” Pastrnak said Saturday. “Good little regroup and in the middle of the season, a nice little break and get to see all the star players. It was definitely a lot of fun.”

Pastrnak was headed to the Florida Keys for a few days. He wasn’t planning to party the whole time, knowing that opponents will show no mercy once the Bruins return to game action Saturday against the Capitals.

“They’re kind of a different breed right now,” Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said.

Spoked-B scouting reports from All-Stars here: four lines that score and defend, puck-movers and shutdown defenders, goalies that lift them during soft stretches, plus a sharp-eyed coach.

Beyond his personality traits — sunny, positive, outwardly grateful to be here — Jim Montgomery has brought an upgraded attack. Defensemen feel free to roll below the circles to make plays. Forwards cover for them. Brad Marchand called it their “tilt-a-whirl” formation.

“It’s hard to defend, because we have no idea what we’re doing, so there’s no way they can know what we’re doing,” he said during the Bruins’ recent stop in Tampa.

Flyers center Kevin Hayes, of Dorchester, said he already had a tough enough time dealing with Pastrnak, Marchand, and Patrice Bergeron when he faced his hometown squad.

“That’s who you think you’re worried about the whole entire night, and now they’re adding this to their game,” Hayes said. “It’s a consistent team that comes at you from all angles. They smoked us one game this year. I think we had another that was close. They’re one of the best teams in the league, if not the best.”

Rangers defenseman Adam Fox, who grew up on Long Island playing with Charlie McAvoy, has enjoyed seeing the Bruins’ defensemen stepping into the mix.

“They’ve got a lot of guys that are gonna hurt you. I’ve seen [Connor] Clifton get in the play. He’s got the speed to get up there. Obviously, [Matt] Grzelcyk and [Hampus] Lindholm, too. Charlie’s one of my favorite players to watch, one of my good friends, and obviously a real staple for that blue line.

“They’ve got a lot of guys back there that are highly skilled. They’re working good as a five-man unit in both ends. They shut you down defensively and go the other way quickly.”

“The last game we played against them was really fun,” Canadiens captain Nick Suzuki said. “It went down the wire. They’re always going to be a big rival for us. They have the structure we’re trying to build. We want to be like them.

“It’s all about the core. Those guys have been together for a long time, they’re really good players, and they want to be there.”

“Coming into the Garden, you know it’s going to be a battle,” Sabres All-Star defenseman Rasmus Dahlin said. “I love the challenge. I feel like they have it all. Such a good defense. Such a good offense. They take away your time. They’re a great team.”

“It’s mentally frustrating,” Dahlin said. “They want to play a 1-0 game. You keep trying for 55 minutes, and if you break down for five, they’ll score a goal. They have it all.”

Watching from afar, Vegas coach Bruce Cassidy was most struck by the consistency of his old team.

“With Patrice in the room and March, and now you’re seeing the growth of Pastrnak, McAvoy. [Linus] Ullmark to me was the big one — he finished really well last year and has carried that into this year. Now you’re creating competition with [Jeremy] Swayman at that position. That’s a great thing for Boston. It’s worked out really well in their favor.

“I see very competitive people that want to push each other, and when you get that internal competition, that’s when your team pops.”

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Gritty's great & whoever doesn't like him must not be fun at parties.
I used to be fun at parties when I liked to drink, but stopped the boozing a couple of years ago, (except for the odd beer on a hot summer's day), and now I don't even want to party anymore...

..but I never liked Gritty from the first time I saw the lunatic :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad