Olympics: All-Star Team & Tournament Awards | MVP: Selänne

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson actually made less mistakes than some of the other D's for Sweden today.

He also contributed to some great chances for and made terrific excellent plays defensively like the steal on Crosby, the deflection off Benn and the backcheck on partial break for (perry?)

Imagine Karlsson was Ericsson or made Kronwall and Oduya's blatant giveaways.

You know what's funny? The guy has won a Norris, and now considered the best in the tourney and being praised by legends and analysts and everyone else knowledgeable.

At what point do you haters start to look in the mirror and realize YOU are in the wrong :biglaugh::laugh::biglaugh:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Haha such an awful post and blind hate for anything non Canadian. Dude, I'm Canadian and love that Canada won, but let's not criticize everyone else and make false claims to help promote the ultimate force of team Canada and it's Canadian players

What was false about what I wrote? Karlsson was a turnover machine today...Weren't you watching??? A Guy that erratic, were he Canuck, wouldn't even make this version of Team Canada

TL

Aug 30, 2006
The real all star team:
Price
Doughty
Weber
Benn
Crosby
Toews

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Karlsson actually made less mistakes than some of the other D's for Sweden today.

He also contributed to some great chances for and made terrific excellent plays defensively like the steal on Crosby, the deflection off Benn and the backcheck on partial break for (perry?)

Imagine Karlsson was Ericsson or made Kronwall and Oduya's blatant giveaways.

You know what's funny? The guy has won a Norris, and now considered the best in the tourney and being praised by legends and analysts and everyone else knowledgeable.

At what point do you haters start to look in the mirror and realize YOU are in the wrong :biglaugh::laugh::biglaugh:

PK has won a Norris too...yet he sat in the Press Box for all but one game...DD has NOT won a Norris ( might partly be himself/ his lack of off season conditioning and his off ice rep, along with that West Coast bias that's to blame ) But when the games matter most DD is DAH MAN...& PK and Karlsson are lesser lights! Again I think being arguably the best Dman on Gold Medal Winning Team, 2 OG's in succession + that SLC ring...pretty much says it all.

Dont think many NHL GMs would take PK or Karlsson over DD

Oct 18, 2011
It is idiotic to choose the MVP based only on points when two forwards owned everyone badly.

dude crosby had 1 goal in the entire tournament, toews had 1 goal in the entire tournament, they didn't deserve MVP :help: doughty has the best argument out of any player. those two did not perform at an MVP level

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Everyone seems so intent on arguing whether Karlsson was better or worse than Weber and/or Doughty as a defenceman, that I decided to use some good ol' HFlogic to make an Allstar team that would make everyone happy.

Goalie:

Price

Defenders:

Weber
Doughty

Forwards:

Karlsson
Granlund
Kessel

Motorized Wheelchair Player (MWP) of the tournament:

Teemu Selänne

On a serious note, it is stupid that the awards are chosen before the final but what can you do? Maybe change the system :laugh: However, I feel the awards were quite ok, although I was surprised that Selänne was the MVP. If there was one Finn I was sure to be in the all-star team, it was Granlund.

Anyhoo, Canadians played so awesomely as a team that no individual player aside from the defenders stood out points wise, and that's usually how the awards are given out.

Congrats for Canada on the win. Congrats for Sweden for a good tournament, and a bitter sweet silver. And to everyone else, let's hope there are NHL players playing still in the next Olympics so that we can once again see the best players play for their countries.

Oct 18, 2011
Yeah, Yeah, I heard Ad Nauseam he's 43, it's his last OG...blah blah blah...cry me a river

SO let's give That Whiner Selanne the SYMPATHY VOTE cause he's older than everybody else ? :sarcasm:

Shouldn't be any Age Handicapping, MVP should go to a guy who had the most profoundly positive impact on tourney + his team

Like leading a D, or backstopping a team ( DD or Price ) that had the fewest goals against in Modern Day Tourney History + Helped them go undefeated & win Gold

Canada had one of OG's Most Dominant Teams EVER, yet all star + MVP is dominated by Euros?

and selanne didn't?:help::shakehead

Sabane

Feb 16, 2014
IMO Doughty or Karlsson would've been a bit "better" choices for the MVP, not complaining that Selänne wouldn't have been ok choice obv :D Price played like a beast, no questions about that but to be honest I didn't even consider of him getting that honor. He just wasn't the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for the Team Canada. You guys played almost perfect defencive hockey in front of him that it didn't matter if u had Price, Luongo or Rick DiPietro for gods sake. You would still have won the tournament. Once more, gratz for all the Canadians!

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Karlsson is a tire fire defensively, he has absolutely no idea what to do when the puck isn't on his stick. Doughty made very few mistakes defensively (he made a couple) and controlled the play just as much as Karlsson did making his performance a ton better in my eyes.

But you're entitled to believe your favourite rover is a world class defenseman if you like and I'll believe what I like.

Maybe the Habs should emulate the role TC had for Subban. Carry the water bottles and pat teammates on the back for encouragement. But he gained that valuable experience from watching other good players win.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Top Forward: Teemu Selanne

...can't argue with the Media's pick here and I love the fact that they gave him MVP; Selanne was the Heart & Soul of the 2nd best team in the tournament...shame on the IIHF for giving it to Kessel for lighting up the Slovenians & Slovakians while Teemu showed what a true leader & MVP does when it counts...

Top Defenceman: Drew Doughty

...don't get me wrong, Karlsson had a good tournament, but there wasn't a player in these games that had a bigger impact than Doughty did and he did it at both ends of the ice...as did Shea Weber, a close second...Karlsson was the feel-good Euro choice; the two best Defencemen in this Tourny played for Canada...

Top Goaltender: Carey Price

...please, someone explain to me how Lundqvist gets the Media vote for the Tournament All-Star team??...oh well, at least the IIHF didn't crap the bed on this one, surprisingly...yeah, he had the best D in the Olympics in front of him, but when he was tested, he was there, save for two point-blank deflections & a breakaway...5 games, 3 goals against, including back-to-back shutouts in the games that won 'em the Gold...that's clutch...this shouldn't even be remotely debatable...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How is Kessel the best forward? He was a complete no show when the games actually mattered. He raked up points against lesser opposition and then coasted thru with 1 assist after.

I would say Kunitz was a better forward in the Olympics as he didnt disappear in the medal games and was playing good when it matters

oldtimerhockey

May 19, 2009
Uxbridge, ON
Who really cares as the medal is what counts.

But these awards should take the final games into consideration....case in point, Lundqvist was average at best in the only game that mattered, the gold. Price deserved it all the way.

Doughty also made a couple of mistakes and Canada was fortunate to only have a post hit on the first one.

Kessel was the hottest forward and Selanne received the sentimental vote much like Lidstrom did on his last Norris with a negative +/-

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Top Forward: Teemu Selanne

...can't argue with the Media's pick here and I love the fact that they gave him MVP; Selanne was the Heart & Soul of the 2nd best team in the tournament...
Sweden was second best team.
Teemu showed what a true leader & MVP does when it counts...
Yep missing like 5 open nets in semis against Sweden.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
LOL Selanne was at the right place at the right time. Let's be honest this is a candy for a legend and im fine with that.

Finland MVP was Rask. Taking Canada to OT, stopping 38 Russian shots and owning the Americans.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Sweden was second best team.

...no, they were the other team that made it to the Gold Medal game thanks to not having to play against the Finns starting Goaltender...good thing for the Flu, huh??...:sarcasm:

Yep missing like 5 open nets in semis against Sweden.

...or leading and captaining his team to a medal, instead of, you know, having one fall into your collective lap...:sarcasm:

TL

Aug 30, 2006
I just don't get the point of choosing an allstar team before the final game in a tournament this short. The final picks are laughable within the context of the entire tournament.

They should call it "All Star Team for the Round Robin portion of the Olympics."

Within that context I agree 100% with the picks.

HabsHockey*

Honest question. Does anyone think these guys care about these awards? Some athletes seem more than disappointed if they don't get the gold. Some seem ecstatic with winning bronze. I see the same thing in the Summer O's.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Selanne had a big impact on his team, but less so on tourney...Pretty sure top D man on Gold Medal team with fewest goals against in modern day OG history had bigger impact on tourney

How so?

Daughty or weber get injured, guess what? Subban comes in who is reigning norris winner. Its hard to argue any one player on canadas defense to be most valueable because if any of them got injured they would still have the best defense ever assembled...

Selanne gets injured, Finlands offense is basically non existent with all their injuries and what not. I dont think it was a bad choice, there wasnt a stand out player in the tournyment, i would have said karlsson or selanne maybe kessel if america didnt just sink in the last 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad