All star game

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
so we are a few weeks away from the all star game.

It will be interesting to see how the ASG draft goes.

Teams

Hughes Jack and Quinn
McDavid and Draisaitl
Mathews and Reilly
McKinnon and Makar

I suspect that the 1st 3 players drafted will be:

Dahlin
EP
Kucherov

The D man is obviously going to be very valuable in that there are just 4 of them and 3 are already taken as captains ...

the next 9 (no real order)

Crosby
Pastrnak
Miller
Reinhardt
Kaprisov
Tkachuk
Nylander
Hertl
Aho/Marner

Crosby may go in the top 3, but ....

I suspect the goalies will be chosen very late.... really not that much to choose between them.

Hard to judge where the rest will go.

I suspect the Hughes may try to load up on Canucks, and Mathews may want Leafs.

Anyone want to weigh in how they think the draft will go. I am actually really looking forward to this.

Hope the Hughes team turns in to team Canucks. Take Dahlin if available, otherwise take EP then the rest of the Canucks.

Reactions: Play

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Does it not make sense that Hughes has to take Demko asap? The defenseman-captain of the Canucks must honor the Holy Bible's teaching that thou must always attribute your success to the goalie. Goalies save.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Does it not make sense that Hughes has to take Demko asap? The defenseman-captain of the Canucks must honor the Holy Bible's teaching that thou must always attribute your success to the goalie. Goalies save.
If the Hughes team ends up with most of Miller Pettersson and Boeser, then Demko makes sense, but really all of the 8 goalies can be considered elite. There are a number of forwards that are "fillers". Are you really going to draft a goalie first? I suspect that 6 of the last 10 picks are going to be goalies. Because no team can draft more than 2 goalies, you are always going to get your goalies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The NHL did a mock draft, you can find it at NHL.com

Here is the Hughes team:

Jack Hughes, F, New Jersey Devils (captain)
Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver Canucks (co-captain)
Michael Bublé (celebrity captain)
Nikita Kucherov, F, Tampa Bay Lightning (1st round)
Brady Tkachuk, F, Ottawa Senators (2nd round)
Connor Hellebuyck, G, Winnipeg Jets (3rd round)
J.T. Miller, F, Vancouver Canucks (4th round)
Sebastian Aho, F, Carolina Hurricanes (5th round)
Brock Boeser, F, Vancouver Canucks (6th round)
Elias Lindholm, F, Calgary Flames (7th round)
Jeremy Swayman, G, Boston Bruins (8th round)
Oliver Bjorkstrand, F, Seattle Kraken (9th round)

They took Kucherov over Pettersson. I doubt that Hughes does that. Oh, and they picked 4th.

Dahlin, the only D man available didn't go until the 4th round. I thought he would be one of the first picks.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Another mock draft. Pettersson has been added as a co-captain. this draft was highly Canuck favoured.

I still disagree with these mock drafts, I suspect the D men will be more valuable, and there is no way I would take the 3 Canucks with my 1st 3 picks. Too much talent out there to pass up. And no offence to miller and Boeser, they are not going in the early rounds, and taking a goalie first is dumb.

Edit - and I am annoyed that this is going to happen while I am playing hockey.

Captain: Quinn Hughes
Assistant: Elias Pettersson
Celebrity: Michael Buble
Editor: Kayla Douglas

PICKPLAYER
1.04Thatcher Demko
2.01Brock Boeser
3.04J.T. Miller
4.01Alex DeBrincat
5.04Travis Konecny
6.01Clayton Keller
7.04Elias Lindholm
8.01Jake Oettinger
9.04Oliver Bjorkstrand

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I wasn't even aware there was some kind of draft. How does that work? That's how little I've cared about all-star games. This year though with so many Canucks I'm going to hop on that train.

So, does anyone have a link to "NHL All-Star Ganes For Dummies"?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No one cares about the ASG. The fact we have so many guys going is more annoying to me considering I’d rather them get a nice break.

The ASG is an annoying break in the season generally but in this season with the team absolutely rolling it's like being in the process of hooking up with Kate Upton and then getting interrupted and told you have to spend the next 45 minutes eating lentils before you can get back to her.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
So does Lindholm still play? Or does CGY get to make an alternate? For sure he can’t wear a Flames jersey

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
So does Lindholm still play? Or does CGY get to make an alternate? For sure he can’t wear a Flames jersey

Something similar happened in 2003. Sandis Ozolinsh was traded from Florida to Anaheim a couple days before the game. He was voted a starter, as Florida was hosting the game, and kept his spot as an Eastern Conference starter, though he had a Ducks patch on his jersey rather than a Panthers one.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Yeah, but Bo played as a Canuck and not an Islander and even talked about it with EP? that this will be the last time for them.

Does anyone remember that Keenan discovered he was fired before the game so Burke had to fly back to Van to tell him in person. Naslund had to talk about it just before the game? (I think that's when it happened and I know that Makka looked like he was in an uncomfortable position)

What two teams don't have players representing them this year? Maybe an unpopular opinion but maybe some Canucks should sit to let them. I think Chicago? Maybe let Foligno? play? Or a defensemen?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I do not give a hooooot about the all star game.

This is a break from hockey week for me, apart from the Lindholm news.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
MacKinnon sniped Lindholm from team Canucks. 3D Chess move, I respect it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad