All-Star Captains?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
If the NHL had always gone with this Fantasy Draft formats, who would have been the captains?

I'd think in the late 80s/early 90s you'd have Gretzky and Lemieux and the 60s likely would have seen Orr and Bobby Hull.

But I am curious who would have been named each of the years. In a small way it is too bad they didn't do this years ago. Would've been interesting to see how Kurri and Lemieux would play together in their prime or how Grant Fuhr would've played against Gretzky in their primes etc.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I was thinking going through games since 2001, since that was the year they put the roster limit same as usual regular-season game (6 D and 12 F). I didn't select same player twice.

2001: Ray Bourque, Sergei Fedorov
2002: Mario Lemieux, Nicklas Lidström
2003: Jaromir Jagr, Scott Stevens
2004: Markus Näslund, Chris Pronger
2007: Alexander Ovechkin, Dion Phaneuf
2008: Ilya Kovalchuk, Sidney Crosby
2009: Andrei Markov, Joe Thornton

Bourque, Kovalchuk and Markov were "home" representatives just like Staal is this year.

ScotiaBankPlace

Jan 28, 2010
I think it would be interesting having the home team have a captain such as E.Stall in Carolina. Next year with it being in Ottawa it could Alfie or Spezza IF they make it. If not then i wouldn't be surprised to see a Ovechkin vs. Crosby team within the next 3 years.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
I was thinking going through games since 2001, since that was the year they put the roster limit same as usual regular-season game (6 D and 12 F). I didn't select same player twice.

2001: Ray Bourque, Sergei Fedorov
2002: Mario Lemieux, Nicklas Lidström
2003: Jaromir Jagr, Scott Stevens
2004: Markus Näslund, Chris Pronger
2007: Alexander Ovechkin, Dion Phaneuf
2008: Ilya Kovalchuk, Sidney Crosby
2009: Andrei Markov, Joe Thornton

Bourque, Kovalchuk and Markov were "home" representatives just like Staal is this year.

I'm incredibly curious as to why Ovie and Phaneuf would be the captains for 06-07, especially considering that Crosby and Thornton were having massive years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad