All Rookie team

Provide your All Rookie Team (5 votes: 3 F, 2 D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Looks like

Kaprizov
Stützle
Norris, Hoglander, or Suter

Smith
Romanov, Bean, or Zub

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Artem Zub ranking among the 27 Rookie D-men with at least 100 TOI at ES :

CF% : 9th
SF% : 3rd
GF% : 8th
SCF% : 5th
HDCF% : 2nd

Yes, he's not #1 in every category but he's doing that on a rebuilding team that has only one top-4 D-man (Chabot and he didn't play with him much, ~20 mins at ES in 15 GP). He's simply Ottawa's most reliable D-man game in game out and almost make Mike Reilly like a decent NHLer (think about it, it's a feat in itself). Rarely makes a mistake, other Sens D-men turn/cough the puck over like crazy.

And it's not because he is shetered, (just one example) he has 54.6 dZS% while a guy like Romanov for example has 60.7 oZS% in comparison. Ty Smith 62.8 oZS% too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnifico

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Kaprizov - Stutzle - Suter | HM: Norris or Hoglander
Smith - Zub | HM: Bean or Whitecloud
Lankinen | HM: Shesterkin

Pretty easy for me.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Artem Zub ranking among the 27 Rookie D-men with at least 100 TOI at ES :

CF% : 9th
SF% : 3rd
GF% : 8th
SCF% : 5th
HDCF% : 2nd

Yes, he's not #1 in every category but he's doing that on a rebuilding team that has only one top-4 D-man (Chabot and he didn't play with him much, ~20 mins at ES in 15 GP). He's simply Ottawa's most reliable D-man game in game out and almost make Mike Reilly like a decent NHLer (think about it, it's a feat in itself). Rarely makes a mistake, other Sens D-men turn/cough the puck over like crazy.

And it's not because he is shetered, he has 54.6 dZS% while a guy like Romanov for example has 60.7 oZS% in comparison. Ty Smith 62.8 oZS% too.

Zone starts aren’t a very good indicator of being sheltered

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zone starts aren’t a very good indicator of being sheltered

Edited the post to help. Obviously my post didn't tell the whole story. No post ever does.

And if zone starts are not an indicator of sheltering I mean what are they? Unless I'm watching baseball thinking it's hockey? A face-off in the DZ with defensive players is not to prevent goals against? Coaches send their best offensive players and worst face-off centers for that situation? You learn a little bit everyday

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Yes they are, as well as matchups, when at home.
Considering that on average, only 1/4 of a player’s shifts start as a faceoff in the offensive or defensive zone, I’m inclined to disagree. The majority of the time, players are changing on the fly.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Considering that on average, only 1/4 of a player’s shifts start as a faceoff in the offensive or defensive zone, I’m inclined to disagree. The majority of the time, players are changing on the fly.

Doesn't change the fact that the coaches will put players that suit their strength during faceoffs...regardless of what percentage of shifts start as a faceoff. That's irrelevant.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Doesn't change the fact that the coaches will put players that suit their strength during faceoffs...regardless of what percentage of shifts start as a faceoff. That's irrelevant.

You’re right. It’s irrelevant. It’s such a small number that it doesn’t make a meaningful difference.

To put this in perspective, Zub averages 20.6 shifts per game. If his dzS% is 54.6% (as the poster I quoted stated), and only 25% of his shifts actually start as a faceoff in the OZ/DZ, that would mean only 11.35% of his shifts start in the defensive zone every game, which would average out to 2.8 defensive zone starts PER GAME.

As opposed to Romanov, who averages 20.8 shifts per game, with 39.3% dzS%, would average 2.04 defensive zone starts per game.

You’re overestimating how often this happens.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You’re right. It’s irrelevant. It’s such a small number that it doesn’t make a meaningful difference.

To put this in perspective, Zub averages 20.6 shifts per game. If his dzS% is 54.6% (as the poster I quoted stated), and only 25% of his shifts actually start as a faceoff in the OZ/DZ, that would mean only 11.35% of his shifts start in the defensive zone every game, which would average out to 2.8 defensive zone starts PER GAME.

As opposed to Romanov, who averages 20.8 shifts per game, with 39.3% dzS%, would average 2.04 defensive zone starts per game.

You’re overestimating how often this happens.

I'm not saying it happens often but it is telling. That's the point you're ignoring.

How telling the stat is has nothing to do with how often it happens.

Example:

I don't drink a lot of juice, but whenever I do drink juice, it's apple juice.

The fact I don't drink juice often is irrelevant to determining that Apple juice is my favourite because it's the one I do choose to drink the most.

Though most shift changes are on the fly, what coaches choose to put out when they do have the choice is very telling.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm not saying it happens often but it is telling. That's the point you're ignoring.

How telling the stat is has nothing to do with how often it happens.

Example:

I don't drink a lot of juice, but whenever I do drink juice, it's apple juice.

The fact I don't drink juice often is irrelevant to determining that Apple juice is my favourite because it's the one I do choose to drink the most.

Though most shift changes are on the fly, what coaches choose to put out when they do have the choice is very telling.

My point was related to a player being sheltered. I’m not going to argue that coaches choose who they want out on the ice at certain times. I am arguing that an extra shift started in the defensive zone every game or 2 is not relevant when discussing who is sheltered or not.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My point was related to a player being sheltered. I’m not going to argue that coaches choose who they want out on the ice at certain times. I am arguing that an extra shift started in the defensive zone every game or 2 is not relevant when discussing who is sheltered or not.

I guess the better word would be sheltered deployment. When the coach does have the choice, does he avoid using a player in a certain situation to limit how much the other team can take advantage.

I agree with you that if a player plays enough, you simply can't shelter them because of the reason you state.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I promise I'm not a Sens homer but I legit think Zub and Norris belong on this, along with Stutzle.

Stutzle - Norris - Kaprizov
Smith - Zub
Lankinen

Zub might be a flash in the pan for all I know, but his metrics make him look like one of the two best rookie D so far. He's solid defensively in the small moments I've seen.

Norris and Pius Suter is kind of a coin flip, I'll admit. I gave it to Norris though, just because he has the same production without having Patrick Kane on his line.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Not that anyone is gonna vote Wahlstrom here but he’s playing good hockey. Keep an eye on him. Especially if is continues to get more minutes on the PP.

15gp
4 goals
4 assists
+5

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: