All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Damn. LA is moving on from Kovalchuk. They’ve been playing him with non offensive guys, which I guess was an improvement from not playing him at all for awhile. On the second pp when they don’t have a second pp. Dude is still flying around the rink, has been playing hard, forechecking, driving the net without the puck and if you give him a chance anywhere near the net he still has a bomb.

If he would play here that would be awesome. Older guy, is very good at being the vet and a leader. Way more dangerous than Williams, though adding both would be interesting. People bitch about the contract but it’s only this year and next at 6 million. They probably will eat some contract too.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Damn. LA is moving on from Kovalchuk. They’ve been playing him with non offensive guys, which I guess was an improvement from not playing him at all for awhile. On the second pp when they don’t have a second pp. Dude is still flying around the rink, has been playing hard, forechecking, driving the net without the puck and if you give him a chance anywhere near the net he still has a bomb.

If he would play here that would be awesome. Older guy, is very good at being the vet and a leader. Way more dangerous than Williams, though adding both would be interesting. People ***** about the contract but it’s only this year and next at 6 million. They probably will eat some contract too.

Instead of retaining money on the contract, the Canes can accept a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or something. We can take the whole thing in around the deadline and Marleau's buyout expires after the season.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:
A reminder as reported before that Kovalchuk’s final signing bonus money is payable Dec. 15 after which he’s only collecting on his $700k salary for the rest of the season. He does, however, have a $4.25 M salary on the books for next season... if he’s still in the NHL

Are the kings just trying to get out from under this big bonus? If not I'd think teams would line up around the block for a chance on kovalchuk at $700k

Probably why there won't be a move until then. Maybe they've been pressuring him to consider leaving so they can rebuild and he's said no? He chose LA for family reasons. LA already has Carter who supposedly said he'd retire before agreeing to a trade. Moving on from the past generation of King's is going to be a shit show for Blake, Kovy is the obvious first choice to move out of town. I've always assumed Kovy's home life played a big role in why he left in the first place - he's probably only going to places that make that situation happy, whatever that situation is.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If I told you Tripp Tracy doesn't consider Kovalchuk Russian, would that change your mind?

AHAHAHAHA well played. Why was Tripp not fired along with Cherry, BTW?

Yeah. but f*** Kovy. That prick signed an enormous contract and then just bailed on his team and left them holding the bag. Disloyal, plus he was the Primma Donna at Atlanta and Jersey, don't need his mindset infecting the young team.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
He's a locker room cancer :sarcasm:. There's a funny video of Kovalchuk showing his leadership abilities by drinking Pepsi at the bench and only sharing it with his pal Radulov.

All of the Finn's know this one but for North Americans it might be a new clip since you guys don't care as much about the IIHF world championship games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
AHAHAHAHA well played. Why was Tripp not fired along with Cherry, BTW?

Yeah. but **** Kovy. That prick signed an enormous contract and then just bailed on his team and left them holding the bag. Disloyal, plus he was the Primma Donna at Atlanta and Jersey, don't need his mindset infecting the young team.
Yeah.....I’ll just stay away from all that. You missed the boat on Kovy, we’ll just agree to disagree.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
4x4 for Edmundson???

Yes, 4x4 but with no NTCs so that it's super-moveable like CDH's deal was. He's only 26 and a 4 year pact only takes him to age 31. It would be a win-now move for a guy in his prime that they can easily ship out either via trade or via expansion when Jake Bean is deemed ready for the NHL. IMO it's not nearly as dumb as it looks at first.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t know, he wasn’t easy for STL to move. He’s played well for us overall but he makes a lot for his role and is a bad stretch away from waivers. If we hadn’t stepped up with the Faulk deal they probably would’ve waived him. Until he turns it around to the point where he’s a legit top four option all the time I wouldnt go longer than two years for him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I don’t know, he wasn’t easy for STL to move. He’s played well for us overall but he makes a lot for his role and is a bad stretch away from waivers. If we hadn’t stepped up with the Faulk deal they probably would’ve waived him. Until he turns it around to the point where he’s a legit top four option all the time I wouldnt go longer than two years for him.

Edmundson had other trade suitors besides Carolina. NJ and Colorado were also interested in getting him straight-up for a draft pick. He likely would've been in NJ if the Faulk sign-and-trade fell through. St. Louis, for rather obvious reasons, preferred Carolina's package over some mid-round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
On the Kovalchuk note, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up becoming a Hurricane. The Canes are one of a select few contending teams that have the cap space to swallow the entire contract for next year. The only question then will be what would LAK give up? I'm not expecting the Marleau return, of course, due to the unique circumstances surrounding Toronto's cap situation and Kovy's (likely) more flexible choices of destinations. I do, however, think that Kovy could fetch a 2nd/3rd rounder or an equivalent prospect.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
On the Kovalchuk note, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up becoming a Hurricane. The Canes are one of a select few contending teams that have the cap space to swallow the entire contract for next year. The only question then will be what would LAK give up? I'm not expecting the Marleau return, of course, due to the unique circumstances surrounding Toronto's cap situation and Kovy's (likely) more flexible choices of destinations. I do, however, think that Kovy could fetch a 2nd/3rd rounder or an equivalent prospect.

That guy is as close to the anti-Brindy as anyone in the league. This doesn't seem at all likely to me.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That guy is as close to the anti-Brindy as anyone in the league. This doesn't seem at all likely to me.

As far as the player/team dynamic is concerned, the Canes would have all of the leverage in the Kovy situation, especially if LAK pays the appropriate price to get rid of his contract. If he's still a locker room cancer at this point of his career, then the Canes will just permanently bench or suspend him and buy out the hit next year without any cap implications on the Dougie or Svech contract negotiations. It's a no risk/medium reward situation.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As far as the player/team dynamic is concerned, the Canes would have all of the leverage in the Kovy situation, especially if LAK pays the appropriate price to get rid of his contract. If he's still a locker room cancer at this point of his career, then the Canes will just permanently bench or suspend him and buy out the hit next year without any cap implications on the Dougie or Svech contract negotiations. It's a no risk/medium reward situation.
Even if the Kings eat the full 50%, $3M in his final year is the same year that a new Svech and a new Hamilton (if we keep him, Canes...you better keep him) contract will kick in. The last thing we are going to be able to handle in those years coming up is $3M in dead money. I think the Marleu contract will be the last of those we see here in this organization for a long while. We are going to be a cap team going forward until our window closes. No shit contracts.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Even if the Kings eat the full 50%, $3M in his final year is the same year that a new Svech and a new Hamilton (if we keep him, Canes...you better keep him) contract will kick in. The last thing we are going to be able to handle in those years coming up is $3M in dead money. I think the Marleu contract will be the last of those we see here in this organization for a long while. We are going to be a cap team going forward until our window closes. No **** contracts.

Uhh, no. Hamilton and Svech's hypothetical new deals kick in AFTER Kovy's deal expires in 2021. This is why I was talking about him to begin with. It's the same logic behind potentially taking Backes' last year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Uhh, no. Hamilton and Svech's hypothetical new deals kick in AFTER Kovy's deal expires in 2021. This is why I was talking about him to begin with. It's the same logic behind potentially taking Backes' last year.
Yeah, I don't know why I thought his contract went another year. That throws out my cap objections, but I still wouldn't be in favor of bringing him in. I don't see him being a good fit with the coaching staff and the age of the team. I'd rather find another way to leverage that cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad