Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Plenty of NYR fans want to fire him into the sun. There has been talk on their board of buyout, trades with retention, etc for years. There's no consensus that he's worth his 8M
Yup. There’s some validity to the thought that, perhaps even just by dumb luck, we moved Trouba at a great time.

He was integral to the WCF run and was also a big part of the 18-19 Jets, who probably should’ve gone on more of a run than they did. Did it for us all for cheap.

Goes to New York and immediately signs a big boy contract that he earned and his play quickly begins to decline to the point he’s at now where Rangers fans want him moved.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Plenty of NYR fans want to fire him into the sun. There has been talk on their board of buyout, trades with retention, etc for years. There's no consensus that he's worth his 8M
Again you can't underestimate chemistry - jomo-trouba were elite.... trouba and libor hajek were not

Rangers have really only had once season of utilizing trouba properly imo

In terms of long term gain he probably would have been better served with a 6m contract until he was 28 with the Jets... then hit open market with big numbers - his next contract will be pretty meh

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He 100% was with the Jets... and how's still a better fit on our top pairing than anyone else we have
He was a good fit with 44, I'll give you that. Although Demelo has been even better.

Being captain of a Presidents trophy winning team is quite an honor.......but his numbers are awful. It's an interesting predicament for Nyr.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
He 100% was with the Jets... and how's still a better fit on our top pairing than anyone else we have
Him and JoMo were one of the best pairings in the league at the time. Neither one was a top pairing guy but each worked so well together that they looked phenomenal. They were starting to get noticed throughout the league. It’s too bad we couldn’t have kept those two together.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes we saved a lot of money by not having an elite top pairing RHD... for now what 5 years? 6?

Lucky break indeed.
Elite lol

I think they keep Ehlers IF HE WANTS TO STAY to. I give that very low probability.

Chances of everything remaining the same are even lower. We have 6 UFAs and no sign of any of them being signed, even those who have said they want to stay.
I'm not worried. I like the fact that Chevy is taking a step back. The team as constructed is obviously not good enough so I want them to take their time and make calculated moves

Reactions: Channelcat

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
I think Desharnais and Phil Meyers would be upgrades to our RD. I would also look for someone with a little more bite than DeMelo to play with Morrissey, maybe Dumba.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think Desharnais and Phil Meyers would be upgrades to our RD. I would also look for someone with a little more bite than DeMelo to play with Morrissey, maybe Dumba.
Pretty bizarre world if we throw away Kovacevic and Chisholm to go after guys like Myers and Des... they're Bitetto level plugs.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Pretty bizarre world if we throw away Kovacevic and Chisholm to go after guys like Myers and Des... they're Bitetto level plugs.
Lol they are better than Bitetto but I know what you mean. Have to be realistic about who would come here so I set the sights low.

Reactions: WolfHouse

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Kovacevic and Chisholm haven't shown they're more than replacement level either. Not that I'd advocate for Desharnais.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
At the time Trouba didn't have a contract and was likely headed to arbitration on his last RFA year. He basically said it's New York or bust.

It's hard to say what we could have done with him that season. But I think it's a guarantee that his heart would not have been into playing that year. Maybe we manage to shift him into a late 1st + prospect situation at the deadline. Or maybe he plays like crap and we barely get that.

The Rangers easily could have said we'll just sign him in FA and give you nothing. Pionk had a rough year but he's still one of the better options on RHD on the team despite that.

Oh 100% Chevy waited to long on that one. But when you have a 6'3 physical RHD like Trouba I think you put every effort into retaining him that you can. I think Chevy thought maybe a nice run to the WCF would convince him to stay but he was always going to go wherever his fiance went.
I think we’re saying the same thing. He was clearly going to sign a 1 year deal to get to free agency.

Typically in a contract year players have elite effort but maybe Trouba decides he doesn’t like money and plays poorly…. I’m going to suggest that would have been unlikely.

Either way, unless he got injured, he returns a 1st plus as a deadline rental… maybe with a prospect better than Pionk, maybe not.

Point is the minimum return would have been a 1st plus and that’s what we got for him. The bonus being the pick was in an earlier draft year and the pick value was known.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
There's talk of shifting trade talk away from Ehlers to Pionk, or buying Pionk out.

Who's your top 4 RHD if you do that? Schmidt spent a lot of the season sitting in the press box in favour of Stanley, he's not better than a 6/7 D. He didn't have the consistency this season.

All the shiny prospects we have aren't proven yet and shouldn't be handed a top 4 role without earning it.

That's why the talk is around Ehlers, the 2nd line winger position is more easily replaced.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think we’re saying the same thing. He was clearly going to sign a 1 year deal to get to free agency.

Typically in a contract year players have elite effort but maybe Trouba decides he doesn’t like money and plays poorly…. I’m going to suggest that would have been unlikely.

Either way, unless he got injured, he returns a 1st plus as a deadline rental… maybe with a prospect better than Pionk, maybe not.

Point is the minimum return would have been a 1st plus and that’s what we got for him. The bonus being the pick was in an earlier draft year and the pick value was known.

We got a mid first plus a roster player signed. No guarantees that the prospect we got was going to be better than Pionk and the pick could have easily been a later 1st than 20th.

Either way Chevy likelywas trying the full court press to get him to stay before that and if he would have traded him earlier the narrative would be he should have tried harder to get him to stay and gave up to early.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There's talk of shifting trade talk away from Ehlers to Pionk, or buying Pionk out.

Who's your top 4 RHD if you do that? Schmidt spent a lot of the season sitting in the press box in favour of Stanley, he's not better than a 6/7 D. He didn't have the consistency this season.

All the shiny prospects we have aren't proven yet and shouldn't be handed a top 4 role without earning it.

That's why the talk is around Ehlers, the 2nd line winger position is more easily replaced.
If Demelo doesn't re-sign, there are zero RHD on the roster

Reactions: Aries56 and Jets 31

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I think we’d be pretty content with Stanley if he were as effective as Desharnais has been for the oilers in these playoffs. Both players from the same draft (Desharnais 115 picks later). At least he doesn’t appear to be the flat footed turnstile that Stanley is.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

From a NYI writer perspective. Still think other pieces could be involved if such a deal is explored. Would Ehlers and Heinola get Pulock and their 1st (#18)??? Would they take Pionk instead for immediate more proven help? Would the Jets consider moving Pionk? Most fan would.

Still uneasy about this whole trade Ehlers idea. Side note, I’m not advocating to trade Ehlers or Heinola. Just throwing ideas out.

Reactions: Buffdog

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Chisholm maybe not yet but I think Kovacevic has definitely shown he's a real player.

Based on how he's played thus far I'd say he's no worse or better than Pionk. Slightly better defensively but worse offensively. Different systems and all that, it's hard to do a direct comparison. We could say that Kovacevic would be far cheaper, and that's true, however cap space for the Jets hasn't really been a significant issue.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Based on how he's played thus far I'd say he's no worse or better than Pionk. Slightly better defensively but worse offensively. Different systems and all that, it's hard to do a direct comparison. We could say that Kovacevic would be far cheaper, and that's true, however cap space for the Jets hasn't really been a significant issue.
Cap space is a huge issue right now if they want to keep monahan, Dillon and demelo

Kova also would have allowed samberg to stay on his natural side on that third pairing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Cap space is a huge issue right now if they want to keep monahan, Dillon and demelo

Kova also would have allowed samberg to stay on his natural side on that third pairing

I don't think they want to keep Dillon. The cap is increasing and Dillon and DeMelo aren't going to be due for huge raises. Also I don't think the decision was between Pionk or Kovacevic to begin with, and before Pionk signed the deal he was better than he has been now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

From a NYI writer perspective. Still think other pieces could be involved if such a deal is explored. Would Ehlers and Heinola get Pulock and their 1st (#18)??? Would they take Pionk instead for immediate more proven help? Would the Jets consider moving Pionk? Most fan would.

Still uneasy about this whole trade Ehlers idea. Side note, I’m not advocating to trade Ehlers or Heinola. Just throwing ideas out.
If Ehlers won't re-sign, I think it's a good move. Dealing from a position of surplus to shore up an area of weakness

If we could also extend Demelo, this is our right side for the foreseeable future - with one year of Pionk as a placeholder for Salo

Pullock
Demelo
Salomonnsson

We then have Lambert and/or Rutger to round out our top 6 winger spots in the near future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad