Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
I wouldn't put money on either Scheifele or Helle being traded, more likely the Jets make a few minor moves in hopes of making the playoffs because quite frankly this organization seems to be happy just making the playoffs. On the other hand losing both of them to free agency for nothing will decimate this franchise. You can't make the same mistake the Flames made will Gaudreau.
I don't know that losing Scheifle will decimate anyone (aside from any big-time Scheif fan-bois). Helle might for a year or two. Yeah, we're missing some centers. But we also just acquired a whole bunch of really talented players. There are going to be some solid 200' centers SOMEWHERE who want to play with these young, talented forwards, and to have the privilege of playing with Josh Norrissey will go a long way as well. Maybe they're not traded. Opening up cap space by letting them walk might also be a wise decision as there are UFA's becoming available, and teams that will probably be willing to trade their cap-crunched players for peanuts come next summer. Just a possibility. Look at what Chicago did with all that cap space.

Reactions: Team Bring It

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IDK that there is a clear understanding of the difference between a rebuild and a retool. Regardless of how many players are moved, I call it a retool if the returns sought are aimed at not being weaker, not aiming at a high lottery spot. A rebuild means trading for futures and climbing higher in the draft.

If Dubois and Wheeler are gone can we keep Scheifele and still have the culture change we need? If we keep Scheifele can we convince Helle to stay? Just asking. Most seem to be assuming that the answers to both are a clear NO. But are they correct in those assumptions? Written in stone correct?
We also don’t know the message sent to management by other veterans like JoMo, Connor, Ehlers and Lowry that are seen as part of the future. They may have made it clear for them to want to stay don’t tear it down. Those same veterans also may have weighed in that they want the organization to keep its top center and Vezina goalie if they can.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maybe Helle is more open to staying if others are moved out.
Who knows at this point.

Reactions: Jets 31

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I look at organizations like Carolina and Seattle with envy wondering why the Jets can't be like them.

Seattle has existed for two years. WHAT?! LOL.

We have been way too callous throwing away picks, not just stuff the Hayes trade but the lower but non-zero impact wastage on guys like Eakin, Sanford, Stanley trade up.

Giving away picks has got to stop.

So, in your mind, you would never augment a playoff roster near the TDL? Interesting.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Agreed. They need to be traded or signed. There should be no middle ground IMO. And I hate the idea of waiting to the TDL for several reasons. First off it will make for a very unsettled year, when the organization needs stability more than anything. Also if we are in a playoff position at the TDL they both become own rentals, since there is no way they get traded then, and we get no return. Even worse one or both gets injured and we miss the playoffs and get nothing. IMO Chevy needs to deal with the situation now, just like he did with PLD.

I disagree. Chevy would trade them near the TDL if he didn’t get them extended but he would then spend lesser assets to bring replacement players in, much like he did Andrew Copp.

If the Jets are not getting good offers now, he has to hold onto the players and then make a TDL deal. You would think that Scheifele will be busting his balls out there since it is a contract season. His value may be best at the TDL.

Reactions: Been around

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
55 has to go-part of the cause of the poisoned culture in the locker room
You may be right but i would start with Wheeler first and see how it goes. I just didn't like his comments about Bowness should leave the no push back comments for the dressing room. The Jets played like shit in game 5 and deserved the comments.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We also don’t know the message sent to management by other veterans like JoMo, Connor, Ehlers and Lowry that are seen as part of the future. They may have made it clear for them to want to stay don’t tear it down. Those same veterans also may have weighed in that they want the organization to keep its top center and Vezina goalie if they can.

I absolutely do not want to go into TC, much less the season with Scheif and Helle - unless they have been extended.

I will be leary of going forward with them signed too. I expect the contracts will be scary. And there is all of the other stuff that has been beaten to death here. But I will still have hope for a good result.

Jets with a 1C, a top goalie, a 1D, better depth up front and at least 2 potential 2C could be better than last year. Certainly would not be what I have been anticipating but it could work. Big IF - both Helle and Scheif extending.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I absolutely do not want to go into TC, much less the season with Scheif and Helle - unless they have been extended.

I will be leary of going forward with them signed too. I expect the contracts will be scary. And there is all of the other stuff that has been beaten to death here. But I will still have hope for a good result.

Jets with a 1C, a top goalie, a 1D, better depth up front and at least 2 potential 2C could be better than last year. Certainly would not be what I have been anticipating but it could work. Big IF - both Helle and Scheif extending.
If 55 extends, I might as well...

AQUv.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If 55 extends, I might as well...

AQUv.gif

If he extends and Helle doesn't ........ yeah. :laugh:

If, by some miracle, Chevy manages to get both it might work out. Or not. I would wait and see.

We would have had something of a culture change with the departures of PLD and Wheels. Whether it would have changed enough or not remains to be seen. We would still have a 1C, with better F depth. We would need an internal solution to 2C. We have a couple of candidates. Maybe they re-sign Names to be a placeholder there until a better fix can be found.

We would still have elite goaltending.

I would want to see something done with our D corps. Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn't.

But extend Scheif and lose Helle? Yeah, pretty much that GIF. :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Maybe the room problems are being overblown. Maybe 55 isn't as issue in the room. He is good friends with Josh and Adam. Was at Josh's wedding. I think Mark might fit well. I really do see him staying and I think we see a new and improved mark also.

Regarding Helle, if Lebrun is to be believed, no reason why he shouldn't be,helle doesn't want to be in Canada anymore. You can't go into the season with your almost ufa starter who won't resign here. Hellebuyck, if Lebrun is correct needs to be traded. Doesn't need to be today but wouldn't hurt if it's tomorrow or sooner rather than later

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I look at organizations like Carolina and Seattle with envy wondering why the Jets can't be like them. Look at Carolina's draft record, they have full selection of picks almost every draft and often more.

In the last 5 years Carolina has made 50 draft picks, the Jets have made 25 in the same period. People say that the Jets can't sign UFAs, if that's the case why are they so casual with their picks and not optimizing in the one spot that they can to acquire talent?

2-3 years from now some of these guys that were drafted in later rounds are gonna be making an impact for Carolina (some already have like that Russian defenseman drafted in the 3rd round who is destroying the KHL) and we are gonna wonder why we don't have late round success like Carolina.

One would need to make enough picks to find such guys. We have been way too callous throwing away picks, not just stuff the Hayes trade but the lower but non-zero impact wastage on guys like Eakin, Sanford, Stanley trade up.

Giving away picks has got to stop.
At least when we had a bigger scouting department, I was always of the opinion that if our philosophy was "draft and develop," then we should be placing a lot higher value on picks, even when we're in our window. Ideally, we trade our most overrated contract or doesn'twannabeherest guy at the deadline each year and then bring up a kid from the Moose. College prospects can come in before playoffs.

If he extends and Helle doesn't ........ yeah. :laugh:

If, by some miracle, Chevy manages to get both it might work out. Or not. I would wait and see.

We would have had something of a culture change with the departures of PLD and Wheels. Whether it would have changed enough or not remains to be seen. We would still have a 1C, with better F depth. We would need an internal solution to 2C. We have a couple of candidates. Maybe they re-sign Names to be a placeholder there until a better fix can be found.

We would still have elite goaltending.

I would want to see something done with our D corps. Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn't.

But extend Scheif and lose Helle? Yeah, pretty much that GIF. :laugh:
Korpisalo could work, mebbe?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
To be fair we don't have any franchise players like McDavid or Matthews and Jets made it as far as Edmonton has. Our franchise player is Hellebuyck. He's not a center tho. Maybe Buff was our Elite star. AND WHEELER was an elite rw a few years ago also. Blake, you didn't bring us a cup but Canada hasn't won a cup this millennium, we should have, you know it, we know it, you should have. Tell us wtf happened now lol

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With PLD and Wheeler out, that's 43 goals from last year

By inserting Vilardi, Iaffalo and Kupari, we add that back

Trading schief loses us another 42. Not sure how you replace that - Maybe full injury free seasons from vilardi, perfetti and ehlers...

Obviously it's not that simple (schief might start his age-related regression soon and younger guys still have room to develop) but if I'm chevy, I'm trying to re-sign him (assuming he's not the central cause of the locker room issues)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At least when we had a bigger scouting department, I was always of the opinion that if our philosophy was "draft and develop," then we should be placing a lot higher value on picks, even when we're in our window. Ideally, we trade our most overrated contract or doesn'twannabeherest guy at the deadline each year and then bring up a kid from the Moose. College prospects can come in before playoffs.

Korpisalo could work, mebbe?

Actually, there are several possibilities. Not likely as good as Helle, but maybe good enough. Maybe.

Chevy now has some cap space to work with. It is going to be interesting to see how he uses it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Oh FFS, qualifying Gawanke? The guy just signed for 4 years in Germany. Pretty obvious he has zero interest in being part of the Jets organization, and probably little interest in coming back to NA at all. Of course, the usual suspects will chime in with this is just good asset management, can't let players out of their required commitments to the team that drafted them or all hell would break loose.

Bullshit. They let Arvid Holm walk away even sooner. Oh but the organization no longer has any interest in Holm, you say. So, you think they still have interest in Gawanke coming back someday? No, this is just a petty response to him saying bad things about the team. Don't want to be a good little prospect and be content with the scraps from our table? Fine, we'll just hang onto your rights till you wither on the vine, you ingrate.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Oh FFS, qualifying Gawanke? The guy just signed for 4 years in Germany. Pretty obvious he has zero interest in being part of the Jets organization, and probably little interest in coming back to NA at all. Of course, the usual suspects will chime in with this is just good asset management, can't let players out of their required commitments to the team that drafted them or all hell would break loose.

Bullshit. They let Arvid Holm walk away even sooner. Oh but the organization no longer has any interest in Holm, you say. So, you think they still have interest in Gawanke coming back someday? No, this is just a petty response to him saying bad things about the team. Don't want to be a good little prospect and be content with the scraps from our table? Fine, we'll just hang onto your rights till you wither on the vine, you ingrate.

Why are you having a meltdown over Gawanke? What does qualifying Gawanke prevent the Jets from doing?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

it aint that serious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad