Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Schmidt is a good to great 3rd pairing defenseman. The problem is that he's getting paid $6M, which makes him overpaid by $4M.

Pionk, on the other hand, doesn't belong in the NHL. Which means that not only are we overpaying him $6M to be in a league he doesn't belong in, but our team is incredibly worse because of it.
Pionk should be on the Moose, bought out or traded with 50% retention.

Reactions: rkp

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Schmidt is a good to great 3rd pairing defenseman. The problem is that he's getting paid $6M, which makes him overpaid by $4M.

Pionk, on the other hand, doesn't belong in the NHL. Which means that not only are we overpaying him $6M to be in a league he doesn't belong in, but our team is incredibly worse because of it.
Pionk should be on the Moose, bought out or traded with 50% retention.

the problem is Pionk is still leagues better than quite a few of the D that will be available this offseason. It's a bad offseason to go Dman hunting.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
the problem is Pionk is still leagues better than quite a few of the D that will be available this offseason. It's a bad offseason to go Dman hunting.
I don't rank Pionk above replacement level defenseman. He can't skate or defend or create offense.

I'm not saying we swing for the UFA fences, but then again, maybe we should. It would be impossible to find a better team than the Jets with a bigger need than the Jets - in the NHL or prospect pool. So either we target an older UFA (Tanev, Shattenkirk), overpay Sean Walker long-term or do everything we can to keep Miller or and sign another Miller.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't rank Pionk above replacement level defenseman. He can't skate or defend or create offense.

I'm not saying we swing for the UFA fences, but then again, maybe we should. It would be impossible to find a better team than the Jets with a bigger need than the Jets - in the NHL or prospect pool. So either we target an older UFA (Tanev, Shattenkirk), overpay Sean Walker long-term or do everything we can to keep Miller or and sign another Miller.

The problem with going after older UFA guys is they have one foot in regression. You might get one season out of them if your lucky and many times playing on tighter teams makes them look a lot better than they are. Shatty has been a whipping boy pretty much everywhere he has gone. He'd be no different than Pionk here and likely honestly worse. I think the Bruins solid defensive play and goaltending masks a lot of his issues. When the Ducks don't even want you, you likely aren't good.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad