Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. Adrian Mannarino defeated Ben Shelton 6-1 in the third set. It was a match between massive but very raw talent and the craftiest pace absorber on the tour, and the vet taught the kid a lesson in the deciding set of what was a close match until then. Probably not necessarily a good thing that Shelton, not for the first time, reminded me a little of a young Shapovalov who is becoming an abject lesson in what happens when raw talent isn't sufficiently refined.
Mannarino cracks me up. He looks like your average 4.0 player at your local club. Almost $10 million in career prize money though!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Horrendous day at the office for FAA. Starting the match, Felix was immediately broken and, to make matters worse, Cerundolo was absolutely dominating from the baseline all set. The second set was a little better, but with a 6-27 w/ue ratio, Felix couldn't help but shoot himself in the foot eventually.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mannarino cracks me up. He looks like your average 4.0 player at your local club. Almost $10 million in career prize money though!
I know what you mean. I can imagine a player seeing him warm up on a public court with that almost dainty slap of a forehand that seems to usually go 30 miles an hour and thinking "this will be a piece of cake." Not for long.

Reactions: kilowatt

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Horrendous day at the office for FAA. Starting the match, Felix was immediately broken and, to make matters worse, Cerundolo was absolutely dominating from the baseline all set. The second set was a little better, but with a 6-27 w/ue ratio, Felix couldn't help but shoot himself in the foot eventually.
That was painful to watch, almost as painful as the amount of time he takes to serve.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
And speaking of painful, I saw the photos of Bianca after she injured her ankle. She had to leave in a wheelchair.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
That was painful to watch, almost as painful as the amount of time he takes to serve.
I expected a much better match from Felix but he just couldn't get it together. He goes right to the end of the serving clock way too often.

As far as Bianca's injury is concerned I haven't heard anything yet. Looks like a high ankle sprain but I'm just guessing. Another career roadblock just when she started to get it together. Thus the emotional outburst on the court coupled with the pain of course.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Known for his offensive prowess from the baseline, Fritz gets to show off his defensive abilities, too, in a very solid straight set win over Rune. Taylor is no worse than top six from the baseline at the moment in my book.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Known for his offensive prowess from the baseline, Fritz gets to show off his defensive abilities, too, in a very solid straight set win over Rune. Taylor is no worse than top six from the baseline at the moment in my book.
Fritz looked great. He could go pretty deep here. Not sure who is going to be able to beat Alcaraz right now though. Paul played pretty well and still lost "easily" in straight sets.

Reactions: Filppula
Oct 18, 2006
Fritz looked great. He could go pretty deep here. Not sure who is going to be able to beat Alcaraz right now though. Paul played pretty well and still lost "easily" in straight sets.
Good assessment. Absolutely nothing wrong with how Paul played, thought he was good, and still lost routinely. Alcaraz is utterly ridiculous.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas loses to Khachanov in straight sets. Stef didn't quit but he went awfully quietly in the second set. He seems in a real funk lately. I think Daddy is the problem. Tsitsipas really needs to extricate himself from his father, but maybe it is something that he just can't bring himself to do.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca has 2 torn tendons and said it could have been much worse. She thinks she'll miss the Billie Jean King Cup in April so the fact that she isn't sure is good news.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Bianca has 2 torn tendons and said it could have been much worse. She thinks she'll miss the Billie Jean King Cup in April so the fact that she isn't sure is good news.

Would think its 6-8 weeks, maybe 10. I am assuming though its not a grade 4 tear, if its 2-3 it is probably 2 months

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Since losing the Rio Open final, in ten matches now Carlos hasn't lost a set with wins over Sinner, Medvedev and now Fritz part of the streak.

Oct 18, 2006
I don’t want to overreact, but I have a hard time seeing Alcaraz lose a match of tennis again.

Okay but seriously, I’ve never seen such dominance at such a young age. It’s absolutely mind blowing. Fritz played about as well as as you can in the first set (15-13 W/UE ratio) and still lost it.

The only way you can cause him some pain is by flattening it out consistency. It’s why Sinner can trouble him, but I just can’t see anyone beating him.

Reactions: MsMeow and kihei

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I don’t want to overreact, but I have a hard time seeing Alcaraz lose a match of tennis again.

Okay but seriously, I’ve never seen such dominance at such a young age. It’s absolutely mind blowing. Fritz played about as well as as you can in the first set (15-13 W/UE ratio) and still lost it.

The only way you can cause him some pain is by flattening it out consistency. It’s why Sinner can trouble him, but I just can’t see anyone beating him.
I have to agree. I don't know who can beat him right now. It's not just that he can do it all, it's that he is doing it all, and regularly. I'm excited to see how he does on clay and grass and against Djokovic.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

One big thing that contributes to that feeling for me is that Carlos is getting much more efficient. I'd guess the exciting days of three five- setters in a row are a thing of the past as he is no longer likely to squander opportunities and prolong the match in the process. He's learning that he doesn't have to overwhelm opponents now when with a little patience he can take them apart tactically.

And his shot making remains insane. I felt sorry for Fritz out there. It must be a helpless feeling.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev wins a dandy three set match against Khachanov who matched Daniil wile for wile in the first two sets. Medvedev did his Energizer Bunny thing, though, and just pulled away when it counted, saving his best tennis of the day for the final set.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Dying to see some Alcaraz vs Nadal/Djokovic at Grand Slams this year. The kid is unbelievable. Tonight's match should be good but I think Carlitos has figured out Sinner and will take it without dropping a set yet again.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Dying to see some Alcaraz vs Nadal/Djokovic at Grand Slams this year. The kid is unbelievable. Tonight's match should be good but I think Carlitos has figured out Sinner and will take it without dropping a set yet again.
I saw Rafa beat Charlie at Indian Wells last year, and I think it might be the last time that happens. Real excited about a potential matchup versus Djokovic though.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Go on. :laugh:

:sarcasm:

Your own version of the commentator's curse, perhaps.

• Haha
Reactions: MsMeow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad