Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
And not just tonight. I think he's won one match, right? The other night he also lost doubles.

Denis is looking good although is double faulting a lot. Up 6-2 and 1-0 and a break. Zverev looks lost.

Yeah, Felix won his first match.

Denis looking good, while Zverev has looked horrible so far in this event.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another one to keep an eye on and is on the rise...20 year old Fin Emil Ruusuvuori. Took out Sinner in a battle of potential future stars.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis and Felix won. They said on Instagram that they now have to wait to see if they get into the next group. What needs to happen for them to get in?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Has there been any word on Bianca's injury? I haven't seen a thing from her except selfies on her social media. Everyone else shows themselves training or playing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Has there been any word on Bianca's injury? I haven't seen a thing from her except selfies on her social media. Everyone else shows themselves training or playing.

She was scheduled to play Auckland I think but withdrew with a knee injury.

I haven't heard anything else but she's still on the EL for the AO.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
2020 ATP Cup - Wikipedia

I believe it will come down to Spain/Japan.

Canada probably needs Spain to beat Japan 3-0.

We have that result now (Spain winning 3-0),but from what I can tell, I still think they need to see result of France and South Africa. Winner of that match could advance, depending on margin of victory.

This is a horrible format if it's this confusing to know if you're advancing.

Reactions: Tuggy

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We have that result now (Spain winning 3-0),but from what I can tell, I still think they need to see result of France and South Africa. Winner of that match could advance, depending on margin of victory.

This is a horrible format if it's this confusing to know if you're advancing.

Winner of Croatia/Argentina wins their group. Argentina and South Africa can't get through as a 2nd place team

Croatia is through as a 2nd place team if they lose 2-1
France is through as a 2nd place team if they win 3-0 without all matches going to 3 sets
France is through as a 2nd place team if they win 3-0 and Croatia doesn't lose 2-1
Belgium is through as a 2nd place team if Croatia doesn't lose 2-1 OR France doesn't win 3-0 with 2 or less 3 setters
Canada is through as a 2nd place team if Croatia doesn't lose 2-1 AND France doesn't win 3-0

Reactions: discostu and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So Paire blew it big time against Anderson and France is out.

It comes down to the doubles match between Croatia and Argentina.

Argentina won the two singles matches. Doubles match is 4-3 in the first set on serve.

If Croatia wins the doubles match and they are in and Canada is out.

If Croatia loses the doubles match and they are out and Canada is in.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Winner of Croatia/Argentina wins their group. Argentina and South Africa can't get through as a 2nd place team

Croatia is through as a 2nd place team if they lose 2-1
France is through as a 2nd place team if they win 3-0 without all matches going to 3 sets
France is through as a 2nd place team if they win 3-0 and Croatia doesn't lose 2-1
Belgium is through as a 2nd place team if Croatia doesn't lose 2-1 OR France doesn't win 3-0 with 2 or less 3 setters
Canada is through as a 2nd place team if Croatia doesn't lose 2-1 AND France doesn't win 3-0

And Argentina wins the doubles match in a third set super breaker!

Canada needed so much specific help and exactly what they needed to happen did happen :laugh:

They'll play Serbia in the QF.

Reactions: discostu and Loosie

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Glad Canada got in, but this format is still far too confusing. The new Davis Cup seemed to be similar as well.

Round robin format just doesn't feel like a natural fit with tennis. I understand it allows players to get multiple matches in, and they don't get bounced if they have one bad match to start.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic loses his first match of the season in Doha against French youngster Moutet, 7-6 7-6.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Raonic loses his first match of the season in Doha against French youngster Moutet, 7-6 7-6.

I'd almost forgotten about him. With all the focus on Denis, Felix and Vasek lately he's the odd man out.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Glad Canada got in, but this format is still far too confusing. The new Davis Cup seemed to be similar as well.

Round robin format just doesn't feel like a natural fit with tennis. I understand it allows players to get multiple matches in, and they don't get bounced if they have one bad match to start.
So many meaningless matches. I mean Moldova's #2 is ranked #816 in the world. Just too much to plow through before the matches get to the quarters.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't look now but Eugenie Bouchard is into the quarterfinals of her tournament having won back to back straight set matches. It'd be nice to see her tennis career get back on track.

Reactions: Tuggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad