Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tsonga snagged a title today in Metz. It's been a long road back for him from injuries but he'll be back in the top 40 after today. He's playing well.

Reactions: Wrigley

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
On day 3 the matches are worth 3 points. Why play Raonic on day 3? Why not invite players from non-English speaking countries such as Nishikori, Del Potro, etc.?

2020 will be in the home of the Celtics and Bruins.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
On day 3 the matches are worth 3 points. Why play Raonic on day 3? Why not invite players from non-English speaking countries such as Nishikori, Del Potro, etc.?

Nishikori declined to focus on the Asian swing. Don't know about Del Potro, but I assume injury concerns. Felix also declined.

The pickings for Team World were slim.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev had a virtua cake-walk over Coric, 3 and 1. Individual games seemed close, it's just that in the end Daniil won most of them. Both steady and opportunistic from the ground, Medvedev took full advantage of his ability to go down the line with either stroke--it seemed sometimes like Coric's side of the court was always bigger.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Laver Cup was easy to ignore this time around. I'm surprised the World did as well as it did.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy's comeback is getting desperate. In an attempt to keep up with Rafa, Andy has decided to go bald, too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Incremental progress for Andy of a sort. He lost to Sandgren in two tough sets in his second match back. This time he wins 6-1 in the third which included a game that lasted 19+ minutes, among the longest games that I have ever seen. Both players were totally spent by the end and Andy's court coverage was down to maybe 70% of what might be considered normal for him. I don't think that hip injury is ever going to heal completely; though he won, the match seemed like another nail in the coffin for him. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
GettyImages-1636925.jpg

GettyImages-3281924.jpg

a54eaeac514a932c254a556736f47aa4.jpg

sport-lawn-tennis-pic-1976-wimbledon-lawn-tennis-championships-mens-picture-id80751119

GettyImages-108909769.jpg

LOVE THE HAT!

I realized that 5 of my 9 favorite players are lefties: Martina, Rafa, Laver, McEnroe, and Connors. Fed, Novak, Serena, and Graf are the righties.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
When I read that article, my thought goes towards the impact on the tour as a whole. The creation of more events like that on the calendar would create less reasons for top tier players to ever slum it in the ATP500 levels.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Eugenie Bouchard loses for the 13th straight time. 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to Gabriela Talaba (#272) in Templeton.
Before the Laver Cup Sock hadn't won a singles match since 11/18. / Barty and Pliskova are 1 and 2. / I wanna see 2 non-European men in the top 15.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In tennis, lefties always have a significant advantage over us righties for the simple, natural reason that they see way, way more of us than we see of them.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix loses to Sousa in Chengdu in three sets. I would thought FAA would look fresh as a daisy but he appeared listless and uncertain instead. A bad loss to guy that barely has a serviceable backhand.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix loses to Sousa in Chengdu in three sets. I would thought FAA would look fresh as a daisy but he appeared listless and uncertain instead. A bad loss to guy that barely has a serviceable backhand.

Second half of the season hasn't been the best form Felix.

Denis, however, did advance in Chengdu into the QF.

I'm going to make a bold prediction...Denis will capture his first title this week.

(Straight sets loss in QF probably coming now :laugh: )

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Second half of the season hasn't been the best form Felix.

Denis, however, did advance in Chengdu into the QF.

I'm going to make a bold prediction...Denis will capture his first title this week.

(Straight sets loss in QF probably coming now :laugh: )

Denis' record is pretty impressive since he's started working with Youzhny.

A little disappointing from Felix. He passed on Laver Cup in part to focus on this tournament. He seems stuck in a rut, and I wonder if a tournament like Laver could have just been a fun experience for him. It's probably hard to keep the energy up over a full season.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Absolute beauty of a match, one of the best of the year. Andy lost 6-4 in the third set, but played great, looking much more like his old self. De Minaur played excellent tennis as well and fully earned a grueling win. Understandably, Murray seemed to tire as the third set progressed, and I thought his weight transfer was effected by his injury here and there but it was very hard to tell if I was seeing things that weren't there or not. Other than that, his performance represents a very real and welcome step forward.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw blown wide open for Denis now. Dimitrov and Sousa both knocked out.

Denis is currently up a set but down a break against Gerasimov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia