OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If I set aside my rooting interests, I have to admit I would rather see Oklahoma-Auburn than any other smeifinal matchup. The O/U isn't going to beat '15 Baylor-Texas Tech, but it may break 80.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not unless Kiffin counts. Kind of a grey area, but having coaches proclaim they don't want your job on Twitter can't be a great sign. :laugh:

Yeah I wasn’t sure if they actually offered him. I know the fans want him back out of desperation at this point. I don’t know how people in the administration & boosters would feel though. I would have to imagine there’s still some who hold hard feelings after his stint there.

It looks like they could be going after Sumlin now. All things considered that wouldn’t be terrible & probably the best they could do at this point.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What happened down there to turn that job so toxic? I'm obviously out of the loop a bit lol. My grandfather played for Tennessee in the Orange Bowl (I think) in the 1940s sometime. Sounds like a lot has changed since then.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The fanbase is insane. The administration isn't much better. Older facilities compared to most of the rest of the SEC. Basically very little shot of competing in the SEC against Bama (w/Saban), Georgia, Auburn, or Florida (most years).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What happened down there to turn that job so toxic? I'm obviously out of the loop a bit lol. My grandfather played for Tennessee in the Orange Bowl (I think) in the 1940s sometime. Sounds like a lot has changed since then.

They haven’t really been good since Phil Fulmer left. From a national perspective they really haven’t been relevant since the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Their hires since then have been Lane Kiffin (left after a year to USC), Derek Dooley, & Butch Jones.

The people there expect National Titles, SEC Championships, NY6 Bowl Games, etc. & just not feasible right now. Jimmy Haslem (Owner of the Cleveland Browns) is big time booster who has a lot of say that likely doesn’t help matters.

For this specific search I think they wasted too much time on Gruden again. The guy has played them multiple times in the last decade yet the keep going back. The fans then are just going to be disappointed in pretty much anybody not named Gruden. The whole backlash to Schiano I think pissed media members & coaches off too which didn’t help.

I think guys like Cutcliffe, Brohm, Doeren, & even Gundy turned it down because of the expectations are much more achievable at their current schools. In Gundy’s case he’s even at his alma mater.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
DA6390B2-0B93-471F-A71D-7373371F6B71.jpeg

This meme went around the last coaching search they had too. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fisher has done this for the last few cycles now. To my understanding the decision makers at FSU basically weren’t going to cave this time & content with him leaving if that was the end game.

I think they’re going to move quickly on Willie Taggart. He got offered a new deal at Oregon while this was playing out & hasn’t signed it to this point. I don’t know if it’s true or not but I think the feeling is he wants to come back to the east coast.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Taggart is an upgrade if they can land him.

I think Jimbo’s a good coach but my feelings with running pro style offenses at the college level is that your margin for error is way smaller if you don’t have a legit pro prospect at QB. As with a spread you can still get more out of your QB even if they’re not even NFL caliber prospects.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't dislike Fisher. I'm just high on Taggart. Agreed on the QB importance, though. I don't know if he can get the right ones at TAMU.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Talking about Mike Leach now.

It was said earlier they didn’t consider him really as him suing Texas Tech was a red flag to them.

I think he’ll turn them down anyway though. He’s another guy who’s better off being at a type of program where winning 8-9 games is seen as an accomplishment.

Mike Norvell at Memphis apparently failed background checks at schools in the process.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The first signing day is on December 20th, most kids should sign that day & ones that don’t are likely kids who will have multiple options available to them to wait for the February date. So it’s going to be really hard for Tennessee to salvage any type of class the longer this drags on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad