Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Report: Panthers interested in Maple Leafs' Kessel

I don't get what their infatuation with Huberdeau is. He's a great trading piece with potential, but he's never capping out at Kessel territory and Kessel would elevate their first line like crazy, especially for Barkov.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I don't get what their infatuation with Huberdeau is. He's a great trading piece with potential, but he's never capping out at Kessel territory and Kessel would elevate their first line like crazy, especially for Barkov.

We're not very likely to be getting a player back for Kessel that will cap out at Kessel territory.

Why trade a player who's going to be in Kessel territory when you can hold onto them, and have more control over their salary and term? That makes no sense.

Kessel is going to get us a package (if traded) of pieces that will not have an individual piece thats going to be as good as Kessel. If we could possibly add a player like Huberdeau or Gudbranson; we'd be getting a good piece back. That's a young roster player with a lot of potential.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Does anyone remember who Kessel played with primarily in the 09-10 season? WAR On Ice says his CF% was over 53 his first year on the leafs and then other than the 11-12 season it never climbed over 47%.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Trade him in the off-season !! :)

Probably likely the most realistic scenario, and most likely after his big bonus has been paid by the Leafs on July 1st as been brought up already.

Personally I want to see him traded now so that management does not get cold feet and decide to hang on to him for another season because they are afraid of losing his goal scoring.

We need to change direction, culture, faces of the franchise, call it what you want. But "it is not working out here" for Phil or the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Report: Panthers interested in Maple Leafs' Kessel

Saw this on twitter today, and to reply back to you regarding that tweet.

The Leafs have no incentive to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

Florida can be interested all they want but if the best offer I can get is Trochek, Kulikov and a 1st I tell them to buzz off.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
does anyone remember who kessel played with primarily in the 09-10 season? War on ice says his cf% was over 53 his first year on the leafs and then other than the 11-12 season it never climbed over 47%.
24.89% ev 42 bozak,tyler - 81 kessel,phil - 41 kulemin,nikolai
24.58% ev 81 kessel,phil - 23 ponikarovsky,alexei - 14 stajan,matthew

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
We're not very likely to be getting a player back for Kessel that will cap out at Kessel territory.

Why trade a player who's going to be in Kessel territory when you can hold onto them, and have more control over their salary and term? That makes no sense.

Kessel is going to get us a package (if traded) of pieces that will not have an individual piece thats going to be as good as Kessel. If we could possibly add a player like Huberdeau or Gudbranson; we'd be getting a good piece back. That's a young roster player with a lot of potential.

That's not what I meant. I know we're not getting a Kessel like potential player back. I never expected that. Huberdeau isn't that. He's nothing more than a complimentary piece.

Something like Huberdeau+Gubdranson+First Round pick is something I would take.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
That's not what I meant. I know we're not getting a Kessel like potential player back. I never expected that. Huberdeau isn't that. He's nothing more than a complimentary piece.

Something like Huberdeau+Gubdranson+First Round pick is something I would take.

We won't get that for Phil Kessel. Two young roster players with high potential, and a first round pick? I'd be shocked if that happens.

Huberdeau or Gudbranson + 1st + strong prospect is what I expect as a return. I could be wrong, but I don't see a team in Florida's position trading two young roster pieces with high potential. I'd love to see it, but it's not happening.

Maybe another pick added (2nd, or 3rd), but that's it. We may even end up taking on some salary through retention (ew) or a dump. Jussi Jokinen possibly as a cap dump, for example.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
We won't get that for Phil Kessel. Two young roster players with high potential, and a first round pick? I'd be shocked if that happens.

Huberdeau or Gudbranson + 1st + strong prospect is what I expect as a return. I could be wrong, but I don't see a team in Florida's position trading two young roster pieces with high potential. I'd love to see it, but it's not happening.

Maybe another pick added (2nd, or 3rd), but that's it. We may even end up taking on some salary through retention (ew) or a dump. Jussi Jokinen possibly as a cap dump, for example.

I'd take Gudbranson plus the rest that you proposed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Boston Globe, NHL teams are still uncertain about next year’s salary cap. Because of the Canadian exchange rate, it’s unclear how much the cap will rise. As of now, a big hike is not in the cards.

This makes it hard for teams to take on big-ticket players such as Kessel without sending money the other way.

If Kessel stays in Toronto, the Leafs need two things: more skilled players, especially a center, to complement the right wing’s quick-strike game, and a coach to set him straight. Since the calendar turned to 2015, Kessel has three goals in 18 games. He’s streaky because he’s not fit. Toronto’s next coach, with support from management, has to command a commitment to fitness from Kessel. Otherwise, Kessel should not play.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...vander-kane/iIG7UH5701CDjmjMLeh3VM/story.html

Leafs’ Kessel may be too costly to move

This time, Phil Kessel doesn’t want to leave. He likes it in Toronto, even if the Leafs are pointed in the wrong direction. He may get his wish.

Everyone is available in Toronto. That includes Kessel, even if he is one of the NHL’s more gifted scorers. The Leafs are not sold on his future as a franchise centerpiece, especially when he’s due $8 million annually through 2022.

That contract, however, is what may keep Kessel from leaving town.

Teams are still uncertain about next year’s salary cap. Because of the Canadian exchange rate, it’s unclear how much the cap will rise. As of now, a big hike is not in the cards.

This makes it hard for teams to take on big-ticket players such as Kessel without sending money the other way. Nashville, for example, is always hunting for scoring. GM David Poile is a Kessel fan. Poile, Team USA’s GM, is familiar with Kessel from Sochi. But the small-market Predators would have a hard time sending picks and prospects to Toronto for Kessel, even if the Leafs retain some of the ex-Bruin’s salary.

If Kessel stays in Toronto, the Leafs need two things: more skilled players, especially a center, to complement the right wing’s quick-strike game, and a coach to set him straight. Since the calendar turned to 2015, Kessel has three goals in 18 games. He’s streaky because he’s not fit. Toronto’s next coach, with support from management, has to command a commitment to fitness from Kessel. Otherwise, Kessel should not play.

The Leafs have assets to surround Kessel with better players. Good right-shot defensemen such as Cody Franson are in demand. There will be a market for Daniel Winnik and Mike Santorelli.

This is a critical stretch for GM Dave Nonis, even if some close to him don’t believe he’s making the final call on hockey decisions. Nonis has to get good pieces for the players who won’t be back. Then he’ll most likely be gone too as president Brendan Shanahan continues the rebuild.

Kessel should not join them out the door.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
24.89% ev 42 bozak,tyler - 81 kessel,phil - 41 kulemin,nikolai
24.58% ev 81 kessel,phil - 23 ponikarovsky,alexei - 14 stajan,matthew

Where'd you find that? Interesting results though, I have to think that Poni and Stajan helped his possession numbers, Poni was definitely more of a cycle-type, Kulemin as well. Stats like that help convince me that Kessel can play on a line that isn't rush-based. On Boston he had a 53% CF% as well, +23. If you put this guy on the right line, the right team you can definitely hide his defensive issues. If I'm a team and I'm confident that I'm a Kessel away from being a legit cup threat, I'm not worrying about his defensive issues on this team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
According to the Boston Globe, NHL teams are still uncertain about next year’s salary cap. Because of the Canadian exchange rate, it’s unclear how much the cap will rise. As of now, a big hike is not in the cards.

This makes it hard for teams to take on big-ticket players such as Kessel without sending money the other way.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...vander-kane/iIG7UH5701CDjmjMLeh3VM/story.html

tumblr_ni2u5jG7WR1rx83p8o1_400.jpg

trainleaving.jpg

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

First I'd see which teams Kessel would accept a trade to.
Then I'd get the bids from all of those teams. If there was a player I really like on another team I'd go back to them and say this is our best offer. Want to beat it? RHD Gudbranson would look good with Rielly. If not Huberdeau then perhaps 2 1sts instead. Florida is young and even though they are having a good year, the young guys could have a slump and regress for one year that we are holding their 1st rounder.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Kessel needs to go to signal a true rebuild ... the Kessel era needs to end for this team to go anywhere

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm sure Kessel gets traded at some point, just a matter of finding the right destination. Even with the cap situation, that's a ton of talent that a team with the right pieces in place can work with to really get better.

Would be nice to get that done by the draft just for that firm signal of the direction.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Where'd you find that? Interesting results though, I have to think that Poni and Stajan helped his possession numbers, Poni was definitely more of a cycle-type, Kulemin as well. Stats like that help convince me that Kessel can play on a line that isn't rush-based. On Boston he had a 53% CF% as well, +23. If you put this guy on the right line, the right team you can definitely hide his defensive issues. If I'm a team and I'm confident that I'm a Kessel away from being a legit cup threat, I'm not worrying about his defensive issues on this team.
Dobber hockey tracks line mates for fantasy hockey. Some other sites have started to do that now too, but I am not as familiar with them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm kind of surprised st Louis is not rumored to have interest in Phil. They have the right mix to add him I believe. He might put them over the top if they were so inclined to try getting him.

He would fit good there and they have the assets. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad