Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
A couple of weeks will see the beginning of the PGA tour season and the return of the Tiger. By all accounts he looks good in practice. Wonder what will be in the bag.

Here is a link to the full schedule for the season:
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/06/27/schedule-release.html

This years majors are:

Masters Tournament, April 3-9, Augusta National Golf Club - Defending: Danny Willett

US Open, June 12-18, Erin Hills - Defending: Dustin Johnson

The Open, July 17-23, Royal Birkdale - Defending: Henrik Stenson

PGA Championship, August 7-13, Quail Hollow Club - Defending: Jimmy Walker

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well, at least you got the thread title format correct.

Can we change the actual title once Tiger wins the Safeway Open though? I hate being reminded of that racist orange cheeto.

Jan 3, 2012
This isn't the politics forum.

image.php

Jan 3, 2012
**** man that sucks. I was pretty pumped this weekend. Sounds like it's form related though not health. Honestly can't blame him I wouldn't want to come back and shoot 73-69. I think everyone wants him to come back and win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry, I'm a fan of Tiger, but how does he commit to the event on Friday and WD on Monday? He spent a week as an assistant captain at the RC when they already had four other assistant captains. Why wasn't he working on his game? If his game was ready to go for a tournament, I could understand the reasoning, but you are trying to make a comeback, and you waste a week by being an assistant captain? I think thats deserving of criticism.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I refuse to defend Tiger for this ****ery. All these mental issues are swimming around in his head and he's a complete wacko case. To commit to an event and then withdraw a few days later basically giving the middle finger to the tournament, the fans and sponsors is a massive ********* move.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
And really, in my opinion, I hope and want Tiger to just retire. If he's still having trouble around the greens with the yips, don't bother coming back and tarnishing your legacy. Not worth it.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
And really, in my opinion, I hope and want Tiger to just retire. If he's still having trouble around the greens with the yips, don't bother coming back and tarnishing your legacy. Not worth it.
Agree wholeheartedly on both posts. I so much want to see him back & winning tourneys, but my brain just comes back to "he's done like dinner"

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah gotta agree with the bronco. Either put it together or call it a day. But hey I mean if Phil is kicking around at 46 Tiger should have something left!

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Personally I am glad he is taking a more patient approach. I was never one of those who danced around the maypole every time he tried to comeback when it seemed like it was too early. I've never had back surgery but I do have back problems and I know that what you can and cannot do change from day to day and how much it messes with your head. Truthfully it would be nice if the media just left him alone and if he does play again one day quit acting like the prime Tiger is going to be walking down the fairway. Seriously, imagine if he did come back, everyone was excited he was healthy, all the social medias are watching every step, and he doesn't do like what they expect. It's no wonder he wants to be 100%.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm getting really sick of Andrew Johnston aka Beef coverage. He's a great guy, I get it, but I don't watch golf to see him play. It's not relevant whether he's playing this or that tournament, or what he did on the 3rd round 14th hole en route to his 52nd place. He never earned that type of coverage, he's a world 79 occassionally playing well. Cover him when he's at the leaderboard and leave it at that.

Jan 3, 2012
I'm getting really sick of Andrew Johnston aka Beef coverage. He's a great guy, I get it, but I don't watch golf to see him play. It's not relevant whether he's playing this or that tournament, or what he did on the 3rd round 14th hole en route to his 52nd place. He never earned that type of coverage, he's a world 79 occassionally playing well. Cover him when he's at the leaderboard and leave it at that.

I agree entirely. I think the Beef coverage exposes a big problem for golf - there's no personality. Here's a guy who has a little fun and suddenly he's a big draw for the sport. Seriously? Athlete's have appeared in fast food commercials for years, and now Beef is some kinda of innovator? Rickie, Jordan, Smylie and Justin go on vacation and it dominates tour coverage for a week. If Pro Golf had some actual personalities in the game, you wouldn't have vacations as prime news and some chubby average tour player who drinks beer masquerading as unique.

Yes golf is a 'gentlemens' game with etiquette and what not, but it's time it comes into the 21st century and has a little fun and doesn't take itself so seriously. Letting players wear shorts isn't going to tarnish your sport, grandpa.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I agree entirely. I think the Beef coverage exposes a big problem for golf - there's no personality. Here's a guy who has a little fun and suddenly he's a big draw for the sport. Seriously? Athlete's have appeared in fast food commercials for years, and now Beef is some kinda of innovator? Rickie, Jordan, Smylie and Justin go on vacation and it dominates tour coverage for a week. If Pro Golf had some actual personalities in the game, you wouldn't have vacations as prime news and some chubby average tour player who drinks beer masquerading as unique.

Yes golf is a 'gentlemens' game with etiquette and what not, but it's time it comes into the 21st century and has a little fun and doesn't take itself so seriously. Letting players wear shorts isn't going to tarnish your sport, grandpa.

It's a shame really, there's so many great players and great golf right now aswell. Just today I saw the phrase "Beef and six major champions play in the British Masters". Okay then.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Alex Norén with his third ET title in as many months. Should've been at the Ryder Cup. :shakehead

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Apparently Justin Thomas just had a double eagle from the rough. 1 back of the leader.

Have not watched one minute of this week's event, but would be nice if JT got another win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad