Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
So with the rule of needing to expose 2 F and 1 D (40/70 games) that are signed beyond 2017 the Stars will either need to re-sign McKenzie/Cracknell or will be forced to expose one of Seguin, Eakin, Roussel as those are the only Stars forwards signed beyond this offseason without NMC's (Spezza/Benn).

Ideally would be able to just re-sign their free agents after the expansion draft when they know the players are safe. Wonder if they will have to pay a little higher on the cap as the players will know they are getting exposed.

Also need to expose 1 goalie who is under contract in 2017/2018 but that will be Niemi, or Niemi and Lehtonen both being exposed.

One is going to be Roussel, wish it was Eakin but that's that, and McKenzie fits via his QO for spot #2.

Expansion wouldn't matter to how much a player was getting paid. If you aren't good enough to be protected, you will probably take whatever one way money that you get offered. Cracknell is on a 2 way, the guarantee of 700-800k is plenty of incentive for him to sign whether its in Vegas or Dallas.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
One is going to be Roussel, wish it was Eakin but that's that, and McKenzie fits via his QO for spot #2.

Expansion wouldn't matter to how much a player was getting paid. If you aren't good enough to be protected, you will probably take whatever one way money that you get offered. Cracknell is on a 2 way, the guarantee of 700-800k is plenty of incentive for him to sign whether its in Vegas or Dallas.

Any info outside of Heika?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Any info outside of Heika?

Shapiro on his podcast, the deadline and Sharp injury one IIRC. Roussel has 1 year left and will want "Eakin money" so either let go of him or make a trade of Eakin or Roussel. Without agreeing with this logic, it certainly seems like the numbers add up in only one way.

Now I'd rather pay Roussel "Eakin money" but if there's no team that wants to meet the valuation of Eakin the Stars seem to be stuck on, I don't know how else it will play out other than trade Roussel somewhere for two nickels or keep him to be taken instead of Oleksiak/Johns. Since I can't think of anybody who wants to get in the Cody Eakin business I'm getting used to this idea of Roussel moving on.

Obviously this isn't very far outside of Heika for information to be from, but they have this idea for a reason.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I like Shapiro, I'll give it a listen.

I don't think things are adding up right now with management, I'm just not convinced yet. I really feel like a different course of action would have been taken if Roussel was 8th on the totem pole. It seems like bad asset management, and that specifically has never been Nill's problem. We'll see.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
well he is serving up craziness tonight

I don't see it. Young players you can bank on being part of a 3-4 year plan aren't going to be exposed. Plus, you can't just stand up a farm system in 3-4 years. If you're lucky you have the 2017 2nd round pick NHL ready then, and prior to 20-21 you have 3 years experience from 2017 first, 2 from 2018 first rounder, and 1 from the 2019 first. What kind of plan is that?

"Young D" like Oleksiak and Johns are huge gambles to turn into something and won't ever get the minutes they would need to develop anyway. We can barely do it here and I expect we're going to get somebody to stick ahead of them on the depth chart in a few months. Vegas will have a solid top 4. And if they'd rather suck, they'd be leaving lots of trade value on the table taking Oleksiak or Johns.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I like Shapiro, I'll give it a listen.

I don't think things are adding up right now with management, I'm just not convinced yet. I really feel like a different course of action would have been taken if Roussel was 8th on the totem pole. It seems like bad asset management, and that specifically has never been Nill's problem. We'll see.

In Nill's defense, I (and possibly others here) have been thinking that Eakin would be a sort of attractive nuisance that McPhee would take instead of Hamhuis. The idea would be the same with Roussel instead, I think we can afford to lose him more than we can afford to subtract from the blueline. We can still trade him, but I doubt we'll get enough back to be worth the defenseman we'll lose instead. Plus it would be magic beans rather than help now.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I have nothing constructive to say about the expansion draft anymore but I enjoyed when Shapiro's dog barked during the last podcast

I enjoyed it so much I closed the tab

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I have nothing constructive to say about the expansion draft anymore but I enjoyed when Shapiro's dog barked during the last podcast

I enjoyed it so much I closed the tab

I have bad news Satan: his dog barked a few more times which you totally didn't get to hear.

I have a microphone and thought about starting a podcast, but I don't have a dog so I didn't know which sound effects to have. Chewing is out because I don't want my mic to get food on it, maybe a siren from police cars going by every few minutes?

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Cracknell re-signed, now we just gotta pray Vegas doesn't steal our baby boy

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nice add to 4th line.

If you look at the trade of the Korpse, poor play of Hudler, a possible lost to LV, and Hemsky and Sharp on expiring contracts, and the status of the Texas Stars forwards, it was clear they had to resign a few of their forwards, or look for one in UFA. May as well reward your own guy.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Nice add to 4th line.

If you look at the trade of the Korpse, poor play of Hudler, a possible lost to LV, and Hemsky and Sharp on expiring contracts, and the status of the Texas Stars forwards, it was clear they had to resign a few of their forwards, or look for one in UFA. May as well reward your own guy.

Especially for that price, wouldn't mind seeing him and Elie on the fourth line next year

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I'm good with the Cracknell signing. Guys been a good 4th liner when called upon this season.

Do we see Hemsky or Sharp re-signing soon or will we let them walk and try and sign someone else in FA or via trade?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm good with the Cracknell signing. Guys been a good 4th liner when called upon this season.

Do we see Hemsky or Sharp re-signing soon or will we let them walk and try and sign someone else in FA or via trade?

Realistically, you can't ice 3 of McKenzie, Ellie, and Cracknell so everybody else we sign has to be a top 9 forward. My count is 11 forwards now, with the possible loss of one in expansion and the gain of Nichushkin and or Janmark. Hemsky would be a good gamble to take if he comes in at 2-3m on a short term deal, but there's no hurry to do this prior to the expansion draft, and that gets us to 14.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't think any of McKenzie, Ellie, and Cracknell are true centers, so coach (insert name here) will have to insert Faksa, Shore, Dickenson, Eakin or some acquisition between them to make a 4th line, IHMO. But agree, we don't need any more 4th line UFA.

Faksa seems unlikely, so does Eakin (from their POV, but maybe coach (insert name here) will have a different opinion of Eakin's best use.

That would seem to begin to set up a 3A and 3B type line combo, unless Janmark can play center, too. Maybe with his injury, he comes back at lower levels and has to work his way up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad