Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
People are rightfully scared of the major dip in offensive production. The problem here though is I doubt that's a scary to LV. Gemel Smith is nice, I really like him, but if you're telling me the choice is between those two, I doubt most GM's would ever pick Smith if they get their pick for free.

Like LT said, the hope is that Smith might have Eakin's ceiling. Eakin is at least an NHLer, and I'd say his issues won't be as pronounced when he's forced up the lineup by a coach for no good reason. I'd feel much more confident starting a new team that I would get productive minutes from Eakin than I would Smith, and Smith is only 3 years younger than Eakin.

At this same stage in development, Eakin was playing down the lineup where he belonged starting a good run of producing at an very good clip of 0.4 to 0.5 ppg in a Bottom 6 role.

Smith on the other hand is a year removed from playing in the ECHL because he couldn't secure an AHL role on a team not loaded with talent. Like I said, I really like the guy's skillset, but he's far from demonstrating he's a consistent NHLer.

I wouldn't make a rash decision off of one year. That's true of both players.

Now, you have two other issues. I don't think Dallas is going to be willing to lose Eakin or Roussel for nothing. One will be traded. The other issue is you're looking at the wrong guy IMO if you want a forward. I'd want Curtis McKenzie over Dallas' other forwards. I don't think he or Smith will likely be long time NHLers, and usually the smart choice is to go younger. That said, I'd say McKenzie has higher upside, and you never know, he might pull off an Eaves one year or two and actually score some goals. If someone is willing to plant his ass in front of the net on the PP like Dallas did with Eaves, Curtis proved in the AHL he's pretty solid at cleaning up the dirty goals with skilled teammates. It would be interesting to see him get some serious time in a role like that, but it will likely never happen in Dallas. Vegas could offer him that though, and he's already a very good Bottom 6 player.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Honestly, I'm just not a fan of Eakin's contract. Plus, I think there might be some better options for Top 6 centers, but I could be wrong.

He's not a Top 6 center. Ignore everything you saw with how Ruff deployed him.

With the exception of one bad year, he's lived up to the contract of a Bottom 6 center with some scoring making under $4 million.

I wouldn't try to sell anyone on paying premium assets for him, but given the situation you described, getting him for free would be a no brainer compared to the other forwards we have. Like I said though, you should assume Dallas will either protect him or trade him. Same for Roussel. Neither will likely be available to Las Vegas.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
People are rightfully scared of the major dip in offensive production. The problem here though is I doubt that's a scary to LV. Gemel Smith is nice, I really like him, but if you're telling me the choice is between those two, I doubt most GM's would ever pick Smith if they get their pick for free.

Like LT said, the hope is that Smith might have Eakin's ceiling. Eakin is at least an NHLer, and I'd say his issues won't be as pronounced when he's forced up the lineup by a coach for no good reason. I'd feel much more confident starting a new team that I would get productive minutes from Eakin than I would Smith, and Smith is only 3 years younger than Eakin.

At this same stage in development, Eakin was playing down the lineup where he belonged starting a good run of producing at an very good clip of 0.4 to 0.5 ppg in a Bottom 6 role.

Smith on the other hand is a year removed from playing in the ECHL because he couldn't secure an AHL role on a team not loaded with talent. Like I said, I really like the guy's skillset, but he's far from demonstrating he's a consistent NHLer.

I wouldn't make a rash decision off of one year. That's true of both players.

Now, you have two other issues. I don't think Dallas is going to be willing to lose Eakin or Roussel for nothing. One will be traded. The other issue is you're looking at the wrong guy IMO if you want a forward. I'd want Curtis McKenzie over Dallas' other forwards. I don't think he or Smith will likely be long time NHLers, and usually the smart choice is to go younger. That said, I'd say McKenzie has higher upside, and you never know, he might pull off an Eaves one year or two and actually score some goals. If someone is willing to plant his ass in front of the net on the PP like Dallas did with Eaves, Curtis proved in the AHL he's pretty solid at cleaning up the dirty goals with skilled teammates. It would be interesting to see him get some serious time in a role like that, but it will likely never happen in Dallas. Vegas could offer him that though, and he's already a very good Bottom 6 player.

Thanks for the insight!

The funny thing is that the first time I ran a mock draft, I actually picked McKenzie. He'd be a solid pick too. :)

I guess it all depends upon which Centers are left available to us. My hope is that NYI protect 4 or 5D and we can get Brock Nelson. Calle Jarnkrok should already be looking at real estate in Vegas, so those would be my top 2 centers. The ironic part is that my 3rd line center is a guy who is the same age as Eakin, and also had good seasons in the past but a miserable season this year: Riley Sheahan, and he's got a much better contract.

So it's not that I don't like Eakin, I just see the Knights roster looking just as good if not better without him on it. I don't imagine McPhee is simply going to take all of the best exposed players available - he's going to have to look for roster balance. I'd rather have Nelson/Jarnkrok/Sheahan in those top 3 center roles, and then I'd need some younger guys to slip through waivers since we pick 30 players - that's where Smith/McKenzie come in. Also, who is Matej Stransky? I try to keep up to date on prospects throughout the league, but I don't think I've ever heard of him. His AHL stats don't look too shabby....

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Stransky probably won't have an NHL career. The dude has skill he just can't skate. He's Matt Fraser 2.0, and I really like both players in the AHL. At this point, I'm not willing to hold out hope that Stransky is going to take a big step forward with his skating.

Dallas had plenty of opportunities to get a look at Matej with all of their injuries, and they politely declined. I bet Matej will get a chance somewhere, sometime to see how he looks, but he's not a very safe pick. You could probably argue his upside to be a goal scorer is higher than McKenzie or Smith, but I'd still take a shot on what of those two first.

If you're taking a young player from Dallas, personally it's either McKenzie or Oleksiak, and I'm leaning towards Oleksiak. Dallas' handling of our young D was a nightmare. I don't think you're going to get a long term option from any of our players. McKenzie is the safer pick, but Oleksiak, even if it is unlikely, is the one that could actually grow into a better player once he's out of here.

Bottom line, Dallas has got to be a disappointing team from a Las Vegas perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad