News Article: All-Purpose Evander Kane Discussion Pt III: Kane signs w/Oilers. Retroactive settlement no cap penalty

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
If it's just 3 years at 833k I take that and run. We get cap certainty while we tank. We got rid of a locker room cancer and now can focus on the remaining bad contracts and gaining cap space. Next up Labanc

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I'm betting $2.5 million in cash and cap hit (possibly only for this year, possibly split over three years).

I am thinking it will be over 6 years.

I just don't see a scenario where the Sharks go this far and then end up with anything they consider as a bad deal.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
More like the Sharks got away scot free with an insignificant cap penalty and should look into terminating Karlsson, Vlasic and Couture’s contracts as well.
Sadly I think we only get 1 get out of jail free card. Unless you are talking about standard buy outs, in which case I would rather just let as many years as possible fall off before using that option.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
GMMG is officially owed a "favor" for bending over after NHL greenlighted. 1OA next year is fair.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I can't wait until the hockey world gets pissed that a team rightfully cut a player who committed multiple material breaches of contract in a 12 month span and managed to parlay it into exact zero competitive advantage but didn't get punished for it

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I can't wait until the hockey world gets pissed that a team rightfully cut a player who committed multiple material breaches of contract in a 12 month span and managed to parlay it into exact zero competitive advantage but didn't get punished for it

This will be the overlooked part of retroactively applying it to the cap.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
About as good as you can hope for as a Sharks fan. Saga is over, it's not our money being spent, and has no effect on the team now or ever really. Solid A on my grading scale to the organization and their lawyers. Also thanks to Edmonton for being dumb enough to sign him to that large of a contract and give us an easy out.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Does this help us with the cap this season??

Not really, except in the sense that it doesn't bite into our limited cap space.

I'm currently projecting our opening the season with $1,829,999 available, though the real figure will depend on exactly which ELCs and smaller contracts make the roster.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Sharks should 100% own this as cheating the system and continue to embrace the heel role

They will get major heat for this from all other teams' GMs

GMMG: "Other GMs will probably their greasy, fat little fists on the table in protest but I don't really give a shit them or their idiot fans."

Crowd: *Boos*

GMMG: "SHUT UP"

Reactions: weastern bias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad