Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AM Jr. was the team's "Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations" for the first year and a half. A Strategic Advisor is a consultant that oversees every area of a business to make sure it is performing at top level. So basically AM Jr. was "hired" as a noob right out of college to give people with much, much more experience in business and the NHL advice on how to do their jobs better. That's going to make him a know-it-all in their minds no matter what.

He may not have been a decision maker but when the boss's son speaks you might feel a bit more obligated to listen and if you don't there's going to be friction. So AM Jr. had way too much influence at the very least.
Jr's title is "Chief Brand Officer." I believe the hockey operations is under Patrick Murphy and I have no idea who is the Coyote's "Strategic Advisor" is, or if they have one, or had one. Maybe you are getting Jr. and XG mixed up?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Jr's title is "Chief Brand Officer." I believe the hockey operations is under Patrick Murphy and I have no idea who is the Coyote's "Strategic Advisor" is, or if they have one, or had one. Maybe you are getting Jr. and XG mixed up?

According to AM Jr's LinkedIn Profile his first position with the Coyotes was as Strategic Advisor. That was his position for over a year and a half before being named Chief Brand Officer. So based on the common definition of "strategic adviser" he was being paid to look over Patrick Murphy and everyone else's shoulder and provide advice about operations, both business and hockey. He might not have made decisions, but he certainly influenced them.

2015 to 2019
University of Southern California

October 2019 to April 2021
Arizona Coyotes - Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations

April 2021 to Present
Arizona Coyotes - Chief Brand Officer

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Coyote

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
According to AM Jr's LinkedIn Profile his first position with the Coyotes was as Strategic Advisor. That was his position for over a year and a half before being named Chief Brand Officer. So based on the common definition of "strategic adviser" he was being paid to look over Patrick Murphy and everyone else's shoulder and provide advice about operations, both business and hockey. He might not have made decisions, but he certainly influenced them.

2015 to 2019

April 2021 to Present

“Strategic Advisor” = Company snitch.

“Chief Brand Officer” = Guy who’s too sexy for the catwalk.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well apparently he's got a lot more influence in operating the franchise than you're willing to admit to.
Speaking to this, Jr. might have been Meruelo's designated bearer of bad news, particularly regarding Doan's desire to hold an AGM position. We all dumped on the kid, but I believe

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Sooooo, some interesting conversation at my in-laws country club. Massive grain of salt. Don't know who this dude was, if he is full of shit or not.

Guy said he's worked with some of Meruelo's co-investors, i.e. those who are going in with him on that land. His talking points:

-AM wants that land badly. Not only because of the arena, but because of the grander vision they have for it.

-AM is convinced he's going to win. His partners think he's going to win. And this dude thinks AM is going to win it. If he doesn't, it will burn some pretty important bridges.

-He does not think AM cares how much he has to pay for it. His words: "AM is batshit crazy, but crazy like a fox." Pressed some on this, and his response was eyebrow raising. Acknowledged there'll likely be more developmental bidders. But given the return on investment, he doesn't think they'll be prepared to go as high as AM will be...

Like, to the tune of somewhere between a quarter to half a f***ing billion dollars.

Buckle up I guess.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sooooo, some interesting conversation at my in-laws country club. Massive grain of salt. Don't know who this dude was, if he is full of shit or not.

Guy said he's worked with some of Meruelo's co-investors, i.e. those who are going in with him on that land. His talking points:

-AM wants that land badly. Not only because of the arena, but because of the grander vision they have for it.

-AM is convinced he's going to win. His partners think he's going to win. And this dude thinks AM is going to win it. If he doesn't, it will burn some pretty important bridges.

-He does not think AM cares how much he has to pay for it. His words: "AM is batshit crazy, but crazy like a fox." Pressed some on this, and his response was eyebrow raising. Acknowledged there'll likely be more developmental bidders. But given the return on investment, he doesn't think they'll be prepared to go as high as AM will be...

Like, to the tune of somewhere between a quarter to half a f***ing billion dollars.

Buckle up I guess.

IMG_4321.gif

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

2015 to 2019

April 2021 to Present
Bottom line none of us know what level influence he had, but most times where there is smoke there is fire, but also same time their is jealousy and resentment among fellow employees or people in general when the son or daughter of the owner of a business passes them on the totem pole when they think it's not deserved. That's the way it goes. Hate to tell all you haters, but Jr. probably has more business experience running a business than all of us put together, even at his young age.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Buckle up I guess.
I'll buy his pizza again if this happens.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Ding ding ding... if you're a conspiracy theorist, this was Meruelo's endgame the whole time. Build value in the Coyotes, then flip them to the NHL for whatever market was the squeakiest wheel in exchange for the capital to win this land. He gets absolute primo real estate in exchange, and his development partners and he rake in the cash for the next 30 years.

Oh, and if he gets around to it, he gives his failson a toy to play with if they still decide to build an arena.

Machiav-ellman.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Bottom line none of us know what level influence he had, but most times where there is smoke there is fire, but also same time their is jealousy and resentment among fellow employees or people in general when the son or daughter of the owner of a business passes them on the totem pole when they think it's not deserved. That's the way it goes.

Of course we don't know. Never will. But nobody is on trial here and I'm not a juror. Point is I have enough information to feel comfortable in forming an opinion on the matter unless/until more information comes along that makes me change my mind.

Do you think he was given the title "Advisor" but didn't actually advise? Because an advisor position is a very influential.

Hate to tell all you haters, but Jr. probably has more business experience running a business than all of us put together, even at his young age.

Experience requires time on the job. The people he was put in place to "advise" had years and years of actual experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of course we don't know. Never will. But nobody is on trial here and I'm not a juror. Point is I have enough information to feel comfortable in forming an opinion on the matter unless/until more information comes along that makes me change my mind.

Do you think he was given the title "Advisor" but didn't actually advise? Because an advisor position is a very influential.

Experience requires time on the job. The people he was put in place to "advise" had years and years of actual experience.
All I care about is the on ice product. AM hired BA and according to BA, was given everything he asked for. BA hired a front office to rival other NHL teams for the first time since the team moved here. I really don't care if AM or Jr. are asshats as some have described or not, as long as he gives what is needed for the hockey operations I'm happy. I really don't care about titles either. You guys have to stop acting and saying shit like you know how to run a business this size better than AM and knowing what each title's job description is. You guys get hung up on alleged unpaid hotel bills for god sake. AM has a gambling license in Nevada which we all know is hard to obtain and which includes in depth vetting. I'm not saying AM, XG or Jr. are perfect but neither are any of us.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
All I care about is the on ice product. I really don't care if AM or Jr. are asshats as some have described or not, as long as he gives what is needed for the hockey operations I'm happy.
That on ice product and hockey operations is now in Utah because other things matter too.

AM hired BA and according to BA, was given everything he asked for. BA hired a front office to rival other NHL teams for the first time since the team moved here.
If only the team was still here for that to mean something.

I really don't care about titles either. You guys have to stop acting and saying shit like you know how to run a business this size better than AM and knowing what each title's job description is.
I didn't create the universal job description for Strategic Advisor.

And I don't think anyone is saying they know how to run a business better than AM, but we "sure as shit" can see that he lost the team. So who cares about how well he's done with other businesses when the one we cared about was the one he failed at?

I'm not saying AM, XG or Jr. are perfect but neither are any of us.
Perfect? Who expects perfect? We just wanted to keep our hockey team (not just the brand and naming rights.) Instead we got to watch him take an L with Glendale, an L with Tempe, an ongoing 5 year search for a piece of land, and a big fat L with the NHL.

The term "perfect" is a total joke in this scenario. We just wanted good enough :laugh:

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Still, from what we hear (and I am aware we have to take everything with a grain of salt), he had a lot of influence or atleast tried to do a lot of things and made a lot of mistakes.
He might be a good lad who is nice, same goes for the whole family. But it seems like he break more porcelain than needed.

This might have been because of his dad pushing him into the role, but what we can say is that he does not seem to be capable to have that much influence. But he may take away something from this and reflect.
Often it was just some stupid and relatively minor shit (with the kid), like the final game he has Patrick sign the Canadian anthem and then brings in some dude out of nowhere to perform the banner.... just stupid and that type of shit messes with moral. I don't know a single fan that didn't think it was on the asshat side of asinine either.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Dunno where to throw this but the following vid is worth your time.

In my biased opinion the Kachina Coyote is the best brand in all of sports history and sad to see it go.

Shifting Sands: The Kachina Brand Story

Boo to Wayne Gretzky and two boos to Alex Meruelo.
Yeah, that was good. Kachina is definitely the best, I grew to not mind the others, but none compared with the kachina. My favorite and the saddest line in the video was "the coyotes could no longer resist the will of the fans"....... damn, that says a lot... too much in fact.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe, or maybe not. One thing that is fact is neither you, I or anyone else on this board have any idea how much influence Jr. has. I would think most everything goes thru XG before it hits AM's desk.
You think a lot of odd things Jakey. I can tell you that due to relationships I have with employees (mostly, but not all former), these guys were asshats. Deny it all you want, keep the blinders on, rose colored glasses, whatever it is that you need to do to stay beyond neutral, but I'm here to tell you and have been here to tell you for what seems like an eternity now, that these guys were asshats. Is it sinking in yet?

All I care about is the on ice product. AM hired BA and according to BA, was given everything he asked for. BA hired a front office to rival other NHL teams for the first time since the team moved here. I really don't care if AM or Jr. are asshats as some have described or not, as long as he gives what is needed for the hockey operations I'm happy. I really don't care about titles either. You guys have to stop acting and saying shit like you know how to run a business this size better than AM and knowing what each title's job description is. You guys get hung up on alleged unpaid hotel bills for god sake. AM has a gambling license in Nevada which we all know is hard to obtain and which includes in depth vetting. I'm not saying AM, XG or Jr. are perfect but neither are any of us.
Good, you can enjoy the hockey ops from afar then.... never went to the games anyhow.

Good, you can enjoy the hockey ops from afar then.... never went to the games anyhow.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That on ice product and hockey operations is now in Utah because other things matter too.

If only the team was still here for that to mean something.

I didn't create the universal job description for Strategic Advisor.

And I don't think anyone is saying they know how to run a business better than AM, but we "sure as shit" can see that he lost the team. So who cares about how well he's done with other businesses when the one we cared about was the one he failed at?

Perfect? Who expects perfect? We just wanted to keep our hockey team (not just the brand and naming rights.) Instead we got to watch him take an L with Glendale, an L with Tempe, an ongoing 5 year search for a piece of land, and a big fat L with the NHL.

The term "perfect" is a total joke in this scenario. We just wanted good enough :laugh:
Great post. In the end what did he do well? Hockey ops and brought back the Kachina. Can anyone think of anything else? Maybe Jakey has a rare bit of positive for us?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Never been to Edmonton. I just landed. Here for work. Staying near the west Edmonton mall (according to this Uber driver) - where should I go for a late dinner by myself?
My old stomping grounds. You will like Edmonton, and now you will see first hand how the city is so involved with hockey. It really will open your eyes. There should be a couple of good restaurants right around the mall and a couple of good one's in the mall. Make sure you try a steak.

Great post. In the end what did he do well? Hockey ops and brought back the Kachina. Can anyone think of anything else? Maybe Jakey has a rare bit of positive for us?
You answered your own question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad