Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AM has $1 Billion extra in spending money, he is not going to lose this land auction and anyone showing up to bid will grossly over pay to win. If a developer wants the land in that area they will wait for the other half to be auctioned off rather than ruin their ROI of the bat.

Also is AM the only qualified bidder? 16 mil up front, plan for development and completing the payment for land within 60 days, right? Are there other developers ready with all those items?
You mentioned ROI. That holds true for AM. There are plenty of developers with deep pockets that might want that land, and if they do, they will have whatever ready by the auction. The COG may hold the cards here on who and what they want there.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
You mentioned ROI. That holds true for AM. There are plenty of developers with deep pockets that might want that land, and if they do, they will have whatever ready by the auction. The COG may hold the cards here on who and what they want there.
I don't think AM will lose the auction and I don't think any other business will be as dumb to put their business at risk and over pay for land when they can get the other half of the land at a better price. AM will put his pride in the front and make questionable business choice of over paying.

The other developers would likely want to put more apartments there and not have an arena or entertainment district. AM has much greater earning potential and recouping 200 million than other bidders.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I agree with you, I don't understand it at all. So bizarre, I just can't fathom how people can jump aboard another communities team. But like you said, maybe so many people just aren't attached to AZ.

Even for me, I'll be a Knights Fan but it's hard to latch on unless I move to Vegas.. but it's the closest team in a city I visit often so thats it.

I sure as hell won't be going to Utah... EVER so they're dead to me.

I'm following the Utah team strictly for the players and hockey ops folks. I'm no fan of the state. I was briefly considering jumping on the Kraken bandwagon but it'd be too hard to monitor and stay current.

I don't know if I'll last until the next season starts over there, but for now I have nothing else.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I personally am really struggling with it. Just the thought of not being able to be excited about the draft/free agency/training camp etc. it’s been such a major part of my life since I was a kid and it’s just…gone. This is the first time in 15 years I just have 0 interest in the playoffs. Not even disinterest, but outright venom towards anything/everything NHL right now. I f***ing unfollowed Craig Morgan of all people because I just couldn’t even bear the thought of them doing a podcast for f***ing Utah fans and that’s their job.
I get that sense of your struggle, and believe me I feel it some as well; just yesterday someone in a sports car with a Utah plate zoomed past me leaving a red light and my first thought was "*sigh* what a great analogy *that* is..." I just wanted to say as the voice of old age and treachery - and with a history of depression in my 20s - it does get better, time wounds all heels and all that.

I have a strange history with the teams I've followed in my life - 3 completely different situations. As a small child in Florida I adopted the LA Rams due to my birthday being in April (Aries. Ram.) when all my little friends were Dolphin fans winning Super Bowls, and didn't switch to Tampa Bay in high school even after they (Bucs) got good. Rams went from LA, to Anaheim, to St Louis, and back to LA and I never really cared (it actually was good for me when they went back to LA because my sister lived next to LAX)

In my mid 20s my city got an NBA team, the Magic, and I was all in. Got cheap season tickets in the upper deck with my buddy, went to nearly every game for 5 years. Then I moved to Arizona. At first I was still really into the Magic, went to sports bars to watch their games when I could, got Directv to get NBA League Pass, even went back home for the 95 Finals, as I didn't know i was staying here permanently and my name was on the ticket account, still. But then Shaq left (and I couldn't say anything, because I'd done the same thing - head west - for the same reason - mo money), the team's window closed, and I sort of drifted toward my new city's new NHL team in a sport I'd never played and didn't know that much about.

But the lesson from that is - yeah, this sucks, but you'll find something else. Or maybe they'll return in some form. Who knows? Feel the feelings, but while you're here try to remember what other things are good about Arizona.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
1. Ishbia is not going to be your white knight to bring the NHL back. He's got his hands full with his NBA disaster.

2. Meruelo isn't going to win the auction. Why any of you would want him to is beyond me. The sooner the Valley cuts ties with him, the better.

3. @Jakey53, it's not your fault. Whatever thing(s) happened to you, it's not your fault.
1) I agree with that, he doesn't care about hockey or any other team that isn't the Suns.

2) AM is likely to win the land auction, and this is just opinion at this point and shouldn't be spoken to be matter of fact. My opinion is he we will win it but wait and see on this one. Sub-answer to that, work with what you have and the bar is so low on ownership, especially dealing with NHL ownership, Renaissance Group and those clown, followed by Barroway, best thing to come along in a while.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I'm a huge Suns fan, Ishbia has done amazing things.. sure things don't always pan out but he's doing all the right things including connecting with the community.

We can only dream that he owns our NHL franchise here.

Reactions: slv

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Did anyone watch UTAH greet the Coyote's? Old Matt spouting off trying to save his job, and Armstrong talk made me want to puke, him saying he had tears running down his cheek etc. etc. Thanking Ryan AND Ashley Smith. Had to laugh at Ryan Smith thanking his partners who were sitting in the crowd, yet had his wife with botox lips and crooked fingers spouting off like a child. XG wasn't well liked here but I would take him over this broad. Man, did Arizona blow this.
Yep Arizona blew this. They blew this at every game where so few showed. The "fans" of which the majority couldn't even be bothered to clap, when the boys are welcomed to the ice, blew it. The community blew it with minimal attendance for off ice functions.

I did all I could, how about you?

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Yep Arizona blew this, at every game where so few showed, by "fans" whom the majority couldn't even be bothered to clap, when the boys are welcomed to the ice, with minimal attendance for off ice functions.

Forget the fact that the team did nothing to earn any of that stuff. Quite the opposite actually. Arizona didn't blow anything, the NHL and the franchise did. As the saying goes, you "reap what you sow." worst run team in professional sports isn't entitled to what the best of them get.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Yep Arizona blew this. They blew this at every game where so few showed. The "fans" of which the majority couldn't even be bothered to clap, when the boys are welcomed to the ice, blew it. The community blew it with minimal attendance for off ice functions.

I did a hell of a lot more than most fans.. and I can tell you 1000% - the fanbase as a whole did enough. Nothing the fanbase could've done would've made a single iota of a difference.

This franchise was a piggy bank for every owner of the team since Ellman became majority.

This has been a depressing mess and the fanbase are victims of it, not the cause.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
And the "fans" refused to sow a seed.
With good reason. I've been in AZ for 14 years this summer and it's been nothing but Coyotes fans getting kicked in the balls over and over. Constant relocation drama, owner drama and in most cases mediocre at best hockey.

Fans don't even have a place in the blame line.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
With good reason. I've been in AZ for 14 years this summer and it's been nothing but Coyotes fans getting kicked in the balls over and over. Constant relocation drama, owner drama and in most cases mediocre at best hockey.

Fans don't even have a place in the blame line.
Blaming the fans, who just got voted the best fans in the NHL during a recent fan survey (I swear to you, this is true, I saw it in the Republic yesterday), misses the mark. Blame the city, maybe, or blame the transplants who shit all over the local team, but the biggest blame falls on the f***ing Chode Parade that had been our ownership history. Not a single owner of the Coyotes ever did a thing to connect with the community. The closest anyone ever came was the Ice Clowns group, and instead of connecting with the community, they tried to bring their community to us by selling us Tim Horton's hot chocolate and donuts and poutine, and playing videos of the speech from Miracle on the jumbotron.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think AM will lose the auction and I don't think any other business will be as dumb to put their business at risk and over pay for land when they can get the other half of the land at a better price. AM will put his pride in the front and make questionable business choice of over paying.

The other developers would likely want to put more apartments there and not have an arena or entertainment district. AM has much greater earning potential and recouping 200 million than other bidders.
This is all speculation on your part.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Blaming the fans, who just got voted the best fans in the NHL during a recent fan survey (I swear to you, this is true, I saw it in the Republic yesterday), misses the mark. Blame the city, maybe, or blame the transplants who shit all over the local team, but the biggest blame falls on the f***ing Chode Parade that had been our ownership history. Not a single owner of the Coyotes ever did a thing to connect with the community. The closest anyone ever came was the Ice Clowns group, and instead of connecting with the community, they tried to bring their community to us by selling us Tim Horton's hot chocolate and donuts and poutine, and playing videos of the speech from Miracle on the jumbotron.
Ice Clown made me lol 🤣 There we so many in that group it was a whole circus. The poutine was good though in my opinion. Maybe I'll get some for dinner from Wilderness because the thought if it is making me hungry.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Ice Clown made me lol 🤣 There we so many in that group it was a whole circus. The poutine was good though in my opinion. Maybe I'll get some for dinner from Wilderness because the thought if it is making me hungry.

Was that the Smoke's Poutinerie stuff? I didn't actually like it much. Maybe I got a bad batch though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad