Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I've moved to the sad stage of grief. I was going to look to buy an acre maybe NE Peoria or on the Phoenix side to eventually build a house if the arena got approved and jump back into season tickets in the future. Now I think I'll look farther west and save a boat load of money. I was surprised how many people immediately jumped to the Utah board. I'm guessing more of the regular posters don't live here than I thought. I can't just start rooting for someone else's NHL team. I'm not built that way. I can't even watch the playoffs and that's pretty much the only hockey I've enjoyed the last half dozen years or more. I guess the fact that the team did so much to push me away as a fan, especially since Meruelo took over has made it easier than if they would have actually got to the point where they were a contender and then left. That would have been way worse.

I think a lot of the regulars going over to Utah live or lived in ARI or have been some of the more die hard fans.

Of course, you have me, who has never even been to Arizona, saying that Meruelo can shove his land up his ass and that I probably won't even follow the team to Utah.

Then you have the few people who believe Meruelo isn't a sparkly turd and just want hockey back in the desert. Some of those people live in Arizona, some don't.

It's a strange world.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well hold the phone here. I agree, no way Meruelo has the brains to team up and collaborate on this. BUT... If Ken Kendrick buys it, who's to say he doesn't build both a baseball and hockey arena? Might Kendrick be a possible candidate for Coyotes 2.0 owner?

Um...... no.

Meruelo's only redeeming value a this point is he's taking some of the venom off Kendrick's back.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I think a lot of the regulars going over to Utah live or lived in ARI or have been some of the more die hard fans.

Of course, you have me, who has never even been to Arizona, saying that Meruelo can shove his land up his ass and that I probably won't even follow the team to Utah.

Then you have the few people who believe Meruelo isn't a sparkly turd and just want hockey back in the desert. Some of those people live in Arizona, some don't.

It's a strange world.
Life is crazy. I'm still working through it, trying to make sense of it. It's really f***ed up my mental health something fierce. Just trying to give myself grace and speak with kindness all the way around. Truth is: we all grieve differently. It's messy. But it takes time to work through it and find that meaning. For now, it's ok not knowing, and it's ok to feel whatever I/we feel.

Um...... no.

Meruelo's only redeeming value a this point is he's taking some of the venom off Kendrick's back.
Fair. Idk much about Kendrick to be honest. Seems like if I did my homework, I wouldn't like what I find though. I don't know man.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Life is crazy. I'm still working through it, trying to make sense of it. It's really f***ed up my mental health something fierce. Just trying to give myself grace and speak with kindness all the way around. Truth is: we all grieve differently. It's messy. But it takes time to work through it and find that meaning. For now, it's ok not knowing, and it's ok to feel whatever I/we feel
I personally am really struggling with it. Just the thought of not being able to be excited about the draft/free agency/training camp etc. it’s been such a major part of my life since I was a kid and it’s just…gone. This is the first time in 15 years I just have 0 interest in the playoffs. Not even disinterest, but outright venom towards anything/everything NHL right now. I f***ing unfollowed Craig Morgan of all people because I just couldn’t even bear the thought of them doing a podcast for f***ing Utah fans and that’s their job.

I don’t know how some of us here are so quick and comfortable to just jump to the Utah board. It’s like some over there are acting like nothing even happened, I just can’t. I wish I could.

What was going to make the coyotes finally being successful and winning sweet wasn’t the winning itself, it wasn’t getting good players finally in itself. It was that it happened HERE. Because all these other fans saying we don’t deserve a team we’re going to have to watch it happen in AZ. They win in Utah and there’s none of that. It’s hollow, it’s just another team in the league. I can’t get behind that emotionally. It isn’t AZ. The players never mattered to me, AZ mattered. AZ fans mattered.

Maybe when it gets closer to the season my attitude towards the Utah team will change, but right now I ask myself. How will I feel when I see Conor geekie score his first goal with Utah, how will I feel when doan gets his first hat track? I’ll feel nothing but sadness and anger, which I what I’m feeling now. So I just can’t imagine feeling anything else.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I personally am really struggling with it. Just the thought of not being able to be excited about the draft/free agency/training camp etc. it’s been such a major part of my life since I was a kid and it’s just…gone. This is the first time in 15 years I just have 0 interest in the playoffs. Not even disinterest, but outright venom towards anything/everything NHL right now. I f***ing unfollowed Craig Morgan of all people because I just couldn’t even bear the thought of them doing a podcast for f***ing Utah fans and that’s their job.

I don’t know how some of us here are so quick and comfortable to just jump to the Utah board. It’s like some over there are acting like nothing even happened, I just can’t. I wish I could.

What was going to make the coyotes finally being successful and winning sweet wasn’t the winning itself, it wasn’t getting good players finally in itself. It was that it happened HERE. Because all these other fans saying we don’t deserve a team we’re going to have to watch it happen in AZ. They win in Utah and there’s none of that. It’s hollow, it’s just another team in the league. I can’t get behind that emotionally. It isn’t AZ. The players never mattered to me, AZ mattered. AZ fans mattered.

Maybe when it gets closer to the season my attitude towards the Utah team will change, but right now I ask myself. How will I feel when I see Conor geekie score his first goal with Utah, how will I feel when doan gets his first hat track? I’ll feel nothing but sadness and anger, which I what I’m feeling now. So I just can’t imagine feeling anything else.
I feel that man. Shit, I posted over in the intro thread there. But it still reads and feels like I'm working through the grief, trying to hold on to something in that connectedness that I'm not even sure still exists, and that I'm hoping against hope comes back to AZ one day. God I wish it made more sense. I wish this would heal.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They were soooo close to putting a team on the ice that can really contend. All those prospects and draft picks coming. Now they have owner than can drop some cash on a FA or trade for a star. No way I'll be able to watch that in a different city, name and jersey. I even hate thinking about it.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
What happens if he doesn’t win the auction? I remember Craig saying recently that’s not necessarily the death knell we think (hope?) it would be. The real deadline is the December 2027 deadline to reinstate the franchise. But obviously he’d need to accomplish a hell of a lot beforehand to even have a shot there.

I think it’d be best to have him fail and walk away as early as possible. Let the coyotes brand fade and die, and then begin the slow process of staring from the ground up, looking for a new ownership group and arena plan…

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
What happens if he doesn’t win the auction? I remember Craig saying recently that’s not necessarily the death knell we think (hope?) it would be. The real deadline is the December 2027 deadline to reinstate the franchise. But obviously he’d need to accomplish a hell of a lot beforehand to even have a shot there.

I think it’d be best to have him fail and walk away as early as possible. Let the coyotes brand fade and die, and then begin the slow process of staring from the ground up, looking for a new ownership group and arena plan…
I tell ya what though - if by some bizarre twist, AM did pay 200 million for that land, it'd go a long way towards restoring any faith in his commitment.

I don't know if we've even heard of a new possible owner yet. I think we've already seen Ishbia's true colors. He might be a billionaire, but him not stepping in to buy the team and take the opportunity to bring the community together like his mentor Colangelo showed me that he's worthless like the rest. Heard the Ryan Reynolds name earlier, but I don't know, I think that's a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagged Ice

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Speaking of Ishbia, did the Suns ever even make a statement on the Coyotes like the Dbacks & Cards did? I don't use social media.
No they did not. And it’s why I will now forever root against the suns for as long as I live. The big four teams are supposed to support each other and show solidarity to each other. It’s not that hard to just put out a statement, but the suns fan base is the most detached from the other teams in the valley because of their arrogant rockstar team. I can’t stand them.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
No they did not. And it’s why I will now forever root against the suns for as long as I live. The big four teams are supposed to support each other and show solidarity to each other. It’s not that hard to just put out a statement, but the suns fan base is the most detached from the other teams in the valley because of their arrogant rockstar team. I can’t stand them.

Pretty shitty that they couldn't take 5 minutes to say something like the others did. Especially since the two teams shared an arena for 7 seasons. So classless that it seems bitter in some way.

Reactions: Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Pretty shitty that they couldn't take 5 minutes to say something like the others did. Especially since the two teams shared an arena for 7 seasons. So classless that it seems bitter in some way.
Don’t forget that ishbia stood by and didn’t say anything when pat mcafee talked shit about the coyotes last year. Ishbia might be good for the suns, but I don’t give a f*** about the suns. To me he’s just an asshole.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Any new owner will be asking for tax payers money, big time, for a new arena. They will also be asking for that "amusement park fee" or whatever it's called as well. They will want want and want more. The State and Cities blew this big time. Almost any city would welcome a sports franchise with open arms, but not here. IF AM fails, NHL is finished here for a decade, probably more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought Isbia was a darling of an owner and most wanted him to buy the Coyote's? Is he not involved with some type of fraud case? Like they say, be careful of what you wish for. You guys were up in arms over AM supposedly not paying some hotel bills.:laugh::laugh:

He would revisit one of the other sites with a letter of intent, I imagine. Mesa was one.
Shit location.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Did anyone watch UTAH greet the Coyote's? Old Matt spouting off trying to save his job, and Armstrong talk made me want to puke, him saying he had tears running down his cheek etc. etc. Thanking Ryan AND Ashley Smith. Had to laugh at Ryan Smith thanking his partners who were sitting in the crowd, yet had his wife with botox lips and crooked fingers spouting off like a child. XG wasn't well liked here but I would take him over this broad. Man, did Arizona blow this.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
AM has $1 Billion extra in spending money, he is not going to lose this land auction and anyone showing up to bid will grossly over pay to win. If a developer wants the land in that area they will wait for the other half to be auctioned off rather than ruin their ROI of the bat.

Also is AM the only qualified bidder? 16 mil up front, plan for development and completing the payment for land within 60 days, right? Are there other developers ready with all those items?

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Meruelo loses. NHL has built a new relocation model for troubled franchises.

Enter Mat Ishbia with Arizona door now open who has money and an arena.

Atlanta2.0 became Winnipeg2.0 becomes Arizona2.0.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Meruelo loses. NHL has built a new relocation model for troubled franchises.

Enter Mat Ishbia with Arizona door now open who has money and an arena.

Atlanta2.0 became Winnipeg2.0 becomes Arizona2.0.
I don't know why Ishbia gets thrown out there all the time, because I don't get any clue of him being interested in the NHL or a hockey team. If he had any interest or care he would have helped the Coyotes move back into Footprint. There has never been any Suns players showing up to anything Coyotes outside of the AZ mascots nights.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I was surprised how many people immediately jumped to the Utah board. I'm guessing more of the regular posters don't live here than I thought. I can't just start rooting for someone else's NHL team. I'm not built that way.
I agree with you, I don't understand it at all. So bizarre, I just can't fathom how people can jump aboard another communities team. But like you said, maybe so many people just aren't attached to AZ.

Even for me, I'll be a Knights Fan but it's hard to latch on unless I move to Vegas.. but it's the closest team in a city I visit often so thats it.

I sure as hell won't be going to Utah... EVER so they're dead to me.

Reactions: RemoAZ

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I don't know why Ishbia gets thrown out there all the time, because I don't get any clue of him being interested in the NHL or a hockey team. If he had any interest or care he would have helped the Coyotes move back into Footprint. There has never been any Suns players showing up to anything Coyotes outside of the AZ mascots nights.

I suppose it *might* make sense to him if he builds and owns his own arena. Then having a NHL team would optimise its use.
That's also the type of owners the NHL would want for this market.
But that would be 10-20 years - who knows what the NHL and Phoenix landscape would be by then.
Right now, best stay away from it all until the Meruelo's chapter evolves/closes, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad