Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Smith seems to have more liquidity as well.

I don't know for sure. Meruelo reminds me of Tommy Wiseau a bit... I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's got a warehouse full of knockoff jeans sitting unused and unsold somewhere, acting as a front for a money laundering scheme for his Nevada mob buddies.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's not about net worth. It's about what he does with it, and how he approaches both business and the community. Ryan Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alex Meruelo.

Smith seems to have more liquidity as well.

He's a one trick pony. All the wealth is tied to one company.

Meruelo is way more diversified. Wealth is spread across multiple genre.

Smith's biggest advantage is he's a real genuine local boy. Born and raised in SLC.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Well, he IS diversified to the point that his Qualtrics revenue and income from the SAP buyout is separate from his Smith Entertainment Group operations and holdings. But you're right, Meruelo has his fingers in a lot more pies. Maybe that's the key - Smith has less to focus on and can consequently devote more attention to the team than Meruelo, who probably doesn't know which company he's running when he wakes up in the morning... :laugh:

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well, he IS diversified to the point that his Qualtrics revenue and income from the SAP buyout is separate from his Smith Entertainment Group operations and holdings. But you're right, Meruelo has his fingers in a lot more pies. Maybe that's the key - Smith has less to focus on and can consequently devote more attention to the team than Meruelo, who probably doesn't know which company he's running when he wakes up in the morning... :laugh:
Isn't that painfully obvious at this point?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Smith has a wife, but that presser, those lips.... looked like he'd reccently made Uncle Gary quite happy.
I don't think he was using his lips for that.
Bettman seems way more into cash than anything.
You show him a big ass check and he is happy.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
He’s also a team stealing piece of shit and I hope he and the franchise fail horribly

joking...right? If not Utah, would have been somewhere else. The league was tired of waiting for AM to produce something.

What is Ryan Smith’s real net worth anyway? Everywhere I have looked lists him similar to Alex Meruelo’s net worth. Doesn’t seem like he’s much better off.

I don't think AM's failure to deliver on the stadium was related to personal wealth or the ability to acquire capital.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Meruelo is way more diversified. Wealth is spread across multiple genre.

Smith's biggest advantage is he's a real genuine local boy. Born and raised in SLC.

One trick pony doesn't seem so bad: Gates, Buffett, Zuckerberg, Brin, etc.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

This is actually a good counter point. I knew I liked you for some reason. :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How do I read these articles?

It didn't have a paywall for me... anyone got a gift subscription?

Anyway, I thought she did a good job explaining why nobody in the Valley seems to want to do business with Meruelo and the abject cluelessness he's displaying about the future of the "franchise" he owns. But YMMV.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad