Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Factotum

Apr 13, 2024
That presser was sad

I got the impression Gary gave Alex his soapbox for a few minutes so Alex could stroke his own ego and try to save some face on the way out- And conveniently the league could avoid a legal battle as the ink dries on this

Not unexpectedly, but poignant nonetheless, Mereuelo went about it in his own, off-putting way. Dude, give up the act of being so committed to bringing a team back through relocation

I hope no one is buying the act that you’d pay $1B back (likely more) and self-fund an arena and entertainment district in the interim

That is a pipe dream of his, and he knows it. Gary knows it- It was visible

Shit, can you just keep things simple for once

Him and his lackey XG are already setting themselves up for their next excuse- The theme park district and how it will see opposition

I havent really been too hard on him through all of this, but never change Alex

Take your $1B consolation prize and just disappear. Thank you for trying, sincerely. But save us

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
This was a trainwreck of a press conference.

AM is not a public speaker and he is clearly overwhelmed with everything going on. At least he genuinely looks upset. As a billionaire he is probably used to getting what he wants and the NHL jamming this through must be humiliating but he deserves it.

Not sure why people like Bettman. He comes across as an arrogant asshole in this press conference with a lot of condescending language to the reporters and the city. He took NO ownership at all when he is just as culpable as AM given he gave him the greenlight to take the franchise. What has he actually accomplished other than being one of the worst sports commissioners of any major sport? Has he actually looked at hockey popularity over the last 10 years? To top it off, he pats his own back for rushing to complete a deal in 5 weeks to sell the franchise to his buddy, after sitting on this mess for 10+ years. I have worked on 50+ M&A deals, the typical deal for a middle market company takes 2-3 months. The fact that they did this in 5 weeks is amazing but also shows they spent almost no time on it. Basically they just decided Utah should have the franchise, and then sat down and did the legal documentation. They looked at no other options.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018

AM is not a public speaker and he is clearly overwhelmed with everything going on. At least he genuinely looks upset. As a billionaire he is probably used to getting what he wants and the NHL jamming this through must be humiliating but he deserves it.

Not sure why people like Bettman. He comes across as an arrogant asshole in this press conference with a lot of condescending language to the reporters and the city. He took NO ownership at all when he is just as culpable as AM given he gave him the greenlight to take the franchise. What has he actually accomplished other than being one of the worst sports commissioners of any major sport? Has he actually looked at hockey popularity over the last 10 years? To top it off, he pats his own back for rushing to complete a deal in 5 weeks to sell the franchise to his buddy, after sitting on this mess for 10+ years. I have worked on 50+ M&A deals, the typical deal for a middle market company takes 2-3 months. The fact that they did this in 5 weeks is amazing but also shows they spent almost no time on it. Basically they just decided Utah should have the franchise, and then sat down and did the legal documentation. They looked at no other options.
And then to shit all over and talk so horribly about AZ in the Utah presser pisses me the hell off.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
And then to shit all over and talk so horribly about AZ in the Utah presser pisses me the hell off.

How did this guy become chairman of the NHL? Who votes for him?

Literally checks all the boxes of a horrible executive..... poor performance, condescending asshole, takes no responsibility and deflects blame, etc. Not that it matters but he even looks "slick" and untrustworthy.

Unfortunately, until this guy is run out of town, we will not be getting any respectable owners in the NHL. Can you even picture someone like Mark Cuban cow towing to this guy? Of course not.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
According to Craig the arena has to be 50% built before the 1.5 years of reactivation notification is given to the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
>> PLEASE READ THIS <<

I realize everyone is still carrying a ton of emotions to what’s happened.

You can vent at…

Meruelo
Meruelo Jr.
Sky Harbor,
Lauren Koby,
Glendale,
Tempe,
The NHL,
The milkman,

Or even Howler….. I really don’t care.

But that doesn't excuse you, or anyone anyone taking snipes directly at each other.

Any more of it is going to get you immediately run out of the thread, and possibly more.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
According to Craig the arena has to be 50% built before the 1.5 years of reactivation notification is given to the NHL.

And Craig also suggested the reactivation process could possibly run a little beyond the five year window.

As a resident of Phoenix that loves hockey, this post hurts. After watching that press conference I am not confident the Coyotes will be back. Having watched hockey decline in popularity nationally and in my home town of MN, I have disliked the NHL management before this and I am even more disappointed and disgusted coming out of it.

The fact that AM negotiated for the option means he wants it and will likely pursue it, but that press conference was the first time I saw him speak, and it was not good. How did this guy get approved to buy a team - was he literally the only option? If he actually needs to line up investors, between this clown show with the NHL, and his terrible sales skills, I am not confident he is able to get the financing to close this. Lets hope he either has the money already, or is just upset and overwhelmed with the situation, and he normally has a more confident demeanor.

What is more troubling is Bettman's language and demeanor. He was an asshole and disrespected not only the reporters but the city. He is one of those terrible executives that looks to blame others for their failures. Rather than take accountability for how he failed in Phoenix, he instead was blaming Glendale, Tempe and the city. It is also telling that the NHL put a legal clause that AM is not allowed to sell his option or even sell more than 20% of the equity - I unfortunately think they want him to fail.

I think the NHL can be very successful in Phoenix with a good management team and arena given the increasingly positive demographic trends here. I even love the Desert Ridge plans and live 20 minutes away, but I am not confident AM can execute on it. I also think Bettman and the NHL will not make it easy because if someone comes in and is successful, it will make the NHL look like idiots for moving the team and blaming the city.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m fine with every comment made in both cities today. Most everything was cleared up for me today. 7 days ago I was mystified. Not so much anymore. The contrast today was clarifying. Nothing ever went right here. Utah has Ryan Smith. We never had one of those. And at the end of the day, that’s really the difference.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
Ryan Smith is obviously a more competent owner than AM and SLC is lucky to have him.

However, the NHL is ultimately responsible for bringing in good owners and guiding them through tough situations to improve the leagute. The NHL brought AM who is a terrible owner, they provided no guidance through these challenges, and then when all is said and done, they have a press conference blaming the city and the government to deflect their culpability. The NHL chose AM, they chose to put an arena in Glendale, they chose not to adequately support the vote in Tempe, etc.

Bettman and his old boys club are morons and as long as they control the fate of hockey we will continue our drift to a second tier niche sport.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I’m fine with every comment made in both cities today. Most everything was cleared up for me today. 7 days ago I was mystified. Not so much anymore. The contrast today was clarifying. Nothing ever went right here. Utah has Ryan Smith. We never had one of those. And at the end of the day, that’s really the difference.
Basically this. But I don’t know guys, I just watched the press conference…and I feel like the reactions have been a tad bit sensational/blown out of proportion. I fully realize a lot of the missteps that have been made by AM, but also realize that none of us know every behind the scenes detail, and let’s be real he was dealt a bit of a crap hand and had a lot to overcome. COVID hit what was it, one year maybe not even that after he bought the team…walking into an already stressed relationship with Glendale….Then the Tempe fiasco. I don’t know every single thing they did or didn’t do regarding Tempe but I believe that the management team, as well as Bettman and Co. believed it was a slam dunk and would get done…and it didn’t. What’s a guy to do?

As far as the paying bills stuff…again, people say there’s a history of this, ok fine, maybe there is I honestly don’t know. How severe is it? What’s the context? I do believe his statement that you don’t become that successful in a 40 year business career across multiple ventures obtaining state licenses etc, without paying your bills…I feel like there is context missing in these situations but I have no idea.

My perception after watching the presser is that AM is obviously not very comfortable out in front of a large crowd…you can take him at his word with that because it was very obvious. He seems like someone that is probably very personable one on one but doesn’t like the crowds. Fine. I thought the Bettman sighing and eye rolling type of gestures were definitely more for the media and their lines of questioning than they were for AM. He seemed empathetic to AM actually and believe he still wants to work with him and is going to see if he can put on his big boy pants and get it done. If he didn’t then why did he allow a stipulation in the contract that says AM has to be there for ANOTHER 5 years AFTER the building is built? If he wanted him gone and didn’t want to work with him he would have let him just flip it and move on. It seems there is still some mutual respect there between them. I think the biggest thing AM needs to work on is establishing relationships himself. Not his lackey XG or his son, him. He needs to make himself uncomfortable and turn that weakness into a strength or it will continue to hurt him. He needs to get better with the media…he needs to get better addressing fans…he needs to get WAY better at establishing relationships in the community with people that can help him get deals done and do business.

Overall I would say I don’t fully trust AM…there have been a lot of wish washy things that have gone on, but I’m not in the camp that is giving up on him entirely or writing him off. It’s all the actions at this point. If he wins the auction, I’ll see what he does next with cautious optimism. But my sense is this guy has had a lot of frustration taken out on him…some warranted and some not…but I’m not quite ready to turn him into a Batman villain just yet.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
You're entitled to your opinion, but when someone lies, they shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Meruelo has lied about the team staying in Arizona and that the auction is the last resort.

He's lied about spending 7 million on the Tempe vote.

He's lied about there being unpaid bills.

What else has he lied about?

I wouldn't trust him with my pet, alone an NHL franchise.
Meruelo has lied about the team staying in Arizona and that the auction is the last resort. Show me proof. The timeline looks clear. He was approached on March 6th and turned the NHL away. After a few weeks he realized he had very little choice and had to accept the NHL's offer, yet he still made sure to keep the Coyotes brand intact and make it possible for AZ to get their NHL team back. Why would he bother? He's still adamant about going through with the auction. The negative voices on this board claim he never intended to build an arena and keep the "team staying in Arizona". Every indication I've seen says completely the opposite. Is he bluffing about the auction? Please tell me your opinion? Seriously.
Was the Tempe plan and all the money and time spent just a frivolous billionaire having fun at our expense? Do you think it was all a facade and AM never had any intention of going through with it?

He's lied about spending 7 million on the Tempe vote. Please back this up with hard evidence.
When you have the chance email me a copy of AM's books and please reference the page numbers for the Tempe expenditures so I won't have difficulty finding them. You just can't go by what some "click whore" reporter says unless he can back it up with something other than hearsay.

He's lied about there being unpaid bills. Not sure what this references.

I wouldn't trust him with my pet, alone an NHL franchise. With all due respect, you should probably find another team to support at this point. He is the last and only option.
No AM, no NHL franchise in Arizona.

We all get emotional about our teams and when things don't go our way we get frustrated.
I understand your pain and I know it comes from your passionate support of the Coyotes, but you need to let this thing play out and give AM the benefit of the doubt. He's a first time sports team owner and he stepped into a real mess when he purchassed the team. Probably not an ideal situation if you've never had any prior experience owning a team. There may have been other parties out there, saw what they were getting into and passed. This was not going to be an overnight fix even for someone with previous ownership experience. I'm sure he made plenty of mistakes along the way and there had to be a bit of a learning curve, and hopefully we're past that. I believe he's sincere and until I'm proven wrong, I'll continue to trust him.

Reactions: Jakey53

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Ryan Smith is obviously a more competent owner than AM and SLC is lucky to have him.

However, the NHL is ultimately responsible for bringing in good owners and guiding them through tough situations to improve the leagute. The NHL brought AM who is a terrible owner, they provided no guidance through these challenges, and then when all is said and done, they have a press conference blaming the city and the government to deflect their culpability. The NHL chose AM, they chose to put an arena in Glendale, they chose not to adequately support the vote in Tempe, etc.

Bettman and his old boys club are morons and as long as they control the fate of hockey we will continue our drift to a second tier niche sport.
Ryan Smith is in a state where the taxpayers are building his arena. He doesn't have to worry about a vote either to get that arena. The team he's buying doesn't have debt from the previous ownership. Huge difference!

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Meruelo has lied about the team staying in Arizona and that the auction is the last resort. Show me proof. The timeline looks clear. He was approached on March 6th and turned the NHL away. After a few weeks he realized he had very little choice and had to accept the NHL's offer, yet he still made sure to keep the Coyotes brand intact and make it possible for AZ to get their NHL team back. Why would he bother? He's still adamant about going through with the auction. The negative voices on this board claim he never intended to build an arena and keep the "team staying in Arizona". Every indication I've seen says completely the opposite. Is he bluffing about the auction? Please tell me your opinion? Seriously.
Was the Tempe plan and all the money and time spent just a frivolous billionaire having fun at our expense? Do you think it was all a facade and AM never had any intention of going through with it?

He's lied about spending 7 million on the Tempe vote. Please back this up with hard evidence.
When you have the chance email me a copy of AM's books and please reference the page numbers for the Tempe expenditures so I won't have difficulty finding them. You just can't go by what some "click whore" reporter says unless he can back it up with something other than hearsay.

He's lied about there being unpaid bills. Not sure what this references.

I wouldn't trust him with my pet, alone an NHL franchise. With all due respect, you should probably find another team to support at this point. He is the last and only option.
No AM, no NHL franchise in Arizona.

We all get emotional about our teams and when things don't go our way we get frustrated.
I understand your pain and I know it comes from your passionate support of the Coyotes, but you need to let this thing play out and give AM the benefit of the doubt. He's a first time sports team owner and he stepped into a real mess when he purchassed the team. Probably not an ideal situation if you've never had any prior experience owning a team. There may have been other parties out there, saw what they were getting into and passed. This was not going to be an overnight fix even for someone with previous ownership experience. I'm sure he made plenty of mistakes along the way and there had to be a bit of a learning curve, and hopefully we're past that. I believe he's sincere and until I'm proven wrong, I'll continue to trust him.
Xavier Guttierez said live in April a few weeks ago that the team would not be moving until after the land auction at minimum. That they were dedicated to keeping the team in Arizona, that Meruelo was going to show up and win the auction and build an arena.

1713600332459.png

Also this. Now, let's check- do the Coyotes still have a team in the AHL before the land auction?

By this point we know the rough timeline of events - March 6th Gary says "hey Meruelo, time to sell" and Meruelo says no. At some point "several weeks later" Meruelo decides he's right and they start working on the deal to move the team to SLC by the end of the season.

Is that a lie? Well, you're free to not think so, and be happy with this response. I'm not.

RE: Tempe Vote

Craig Morgan and co. have said this multiple times, but the documents submitted to the state only talk about 1.1 million for the campaign. Is it possible that AM spent money that isn't on that form somehow? Well, sure it is. But if he somehow spent 6m more in funds and more than tripled the amount Tempe No spent and still lost, well, that speaks to some other things I have a problem with.

1713600738415.jpeg

In regards to unpaid bills, I'm sure if you've been following the franchise long enough you've seen the multiple times Katie Strang has written about them. The City of Glendale very publicly said that the Coyotes owed money. Katie Strang went into the tax registry (or whatever it's called) and quoted specific numbers that were unpaid, which eventually went on a payment plan and were paid back.

I believe it was Seravelli who said that AM didn't pay hotels around the league and that the hotels banded together and told him he had to prepay with a cheque or they wouldn't allow him use of the hotel.

If you don't want to believe the "click whore" reporters who well...were apparently right this entire time? Well, hey, fair enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if you wanna believe Meruelo after everyone else but him and Gary Bettman have said some of these things are untrue, be my guest. It doesn't affect me at all that you do so.

But really? I should find a new team to follow? I'm sorry, what team do we have in Arizona that's in the NHL right now? Did I miss something? Did Alex "Big Dick" Meruelo come swaggering out to the podium and announce that he's won the land auction, hired construction crews, and that an arena will be built in 3 years somewhere I'm not aware of? Did Meruelo go back in time 3 weeks and decide not to sell the Coyotes and that the NHL could fight him in court about it? Did Ishbia's music suddenly start playing and Meruelo announce that he was partnering/selling/whatevering the team to him and that they would renovate Footprint or build another arena?

Or do you just think I should accept everything Meruelo has said as fact?

Should I thank Meruelo Sr. and Jr. for handpicking Josh Doan, Logan Cooley, and Dylan Guenther along with GMBA at the draft? Because he claimed he and his son did that too.

Should I be *GRATEFUL* to Mr. Meruelo, that he sold our team, sold the last 10 years of my life, watching these players develop, draft, and play in the NHL, only to be ripped away at their ripest point before breaking out to go play for a state and team that has absolutely no connection to this one?

See, I really couldn't care less if Meruelo brings the team back in 5 years, 10 years, or whatever. It won't be the same team that left, will it? It won't have the history, it won't have the players, and it won't have the staff.

Some of you do and will care about that. Great! I hope that you enjoy the games, maybe AM really is a miracle worker and we'll win the cup immediately after we have our expansion draft. Shit, maybe the team will come back in 3 years too. Maybe, if and when Meruelo proves he can do more than just talk, I'll come back to the team too. I certainly won't be upset if the SLC team does well, or if the players I watched for years make something of themselves.

It's great that you can believe in Meruelo. It really is. I hope that he lives up to all of your expectations and I get to eat crow. I really do.

But this forum, and this team, is as much mine as it is anyone else's, and I sure as shit won't be leaving here until they drag me away. I've been an Arizona Coyotes fan for the last 10+ years, and I won't be stopping any time soon. If AM wants to bring a team back here, great. He doesn't get my fandom just because he did that. And I'm not going to ignore all the things he's done in the meantime. Nor will Gary Bettman. You can say that I'm wrong, that I should give him the benefit of the doubt, that he's the last chance for hockey in the desert, all you want. That may even all be true! But what you don't get to say is what I spend my time doing and what my emotions and feelings are or should be. Period.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
RE: Tempe Vote

Craig Morgan and co. have said this multiple times, but the documents submitted to the state only talk about 1.1 million for the campaign. Is it possible that AM spent money that isn't on that form somehow? Well, sure it is. But if he somehow spent 6m more in funds and more than tripled the amount Tempe No spent and still lost, well, that speaks to some other things I have a problem with.

View attachment 855626

Going to address this one item.

Meruelo admittedly has trouble speaking at length in a public setting. So the tendency is to jumble contexts around. Unfortunately, people usually take everything directly on its surface in these sorts of events without thinking beyond the words.

I originally saw Randy Keating's response on Twitter and the initial thought was, "no.... that figure isn't right because I regularly watched those filings myself and it was closer to 1/5th that amount.

Then I watched the actual clip on the PHNX podcast and it just seemed different. Then it dawned on me that Meruelo could have been trying to tell everyone how much he spent altogether, including the 2-3 years of negotiations with Tempe, land and soil surveys, etc. plus the campaign itself, to get TED passed.

If you take all of that into consideration the $7 million figure makes much more sense.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's obvious you don't follow the NHL.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Basically this. But I don’t know guys, I just watched the press conference…and I feel like the reactions have been a tad bit sensational/blown out of proportion. I fully realize a lot of the missteps that have been made by AM, but also realize that none of us know every behind the scenes detail, and let’s be real he was dealt a bit of a crap hand and had a lot to overcome. COVID hit what was it, one year maybe not even that after he bought the team…walking into an already stressed relationship with Glendale….Then the Tempe fiasco. I don’t know every single thing they did or didn’t do regarding Tempe but I believe that the management team, as well as Bettman and Co. believed it was a slam dunk and would get done…and it didn’t. What’s a guy to do?

As far as the paying bills stuff…again, people say there’s a history of this, ok fine, maybe there is I honestly don’t know. How severe is it? What’s the context? I do believe his statement that you don’t become that successful in a 40 year business career across multiple ventures obtaining state licenses etc, without paying your bills…I feel like there is context missing in these situations but I have no idea.

My perception after watching the presser is that AM is obviously not very comfortable out in front of a large crowd…you can take him at his word with that because it was very obvious. He seems like someone that is probably very personable one on one but doesn’t like the crowds. Fine. I thought the Bettman sighing and eye rolling type of gestures were definitely more for the media and their lines of questioning than they were for AM. He seemed empathetic to AM actually and believe he still wants to work with him and is going to see if he can put on his big boy pants and get it done. If he didn’t then why did he allow a stipulation in the contract that says AM has to be there for ANOTHER 5 years AFTER the building is built? If he wanted him gone and didn’t want to work with him he would have let him just flip it and move on. It seems there is still some mutual respect there between them. I think the biggest thing AM needs to work on is establishing relationships himself. Not his lackey XG or his son, him. He needs to make himself uncomfortable and turn that weakness into a strength or it will continue to hurt him. He needs to get better with the media…he needs to get better addressing fans…he needs to get WAY better at establishing relationships in the community with people that can help him get deals done and do business.

Overall I would say I don’t fully trust AM…there have been a lot of wish washy things that have gone on, but I’m not in the camp that is giving up on him entirely or writing him off. It’s all the actions at this point. If he wins the auction, I’ll see what he does next with cautious optimism. But my sense is this guy has had a lot of frustration taken out on him…some warranted and some not…but I’m not quite ready to turn him into a Batman villain just yet.
Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4