Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Guy doesn't know how to spell puck..... yep another.

I think he's sincere in wanting to make it work though.

Gary's a f***ing Pit Bull!
It's obvious AM is a terrible public speaker, and he knows it. I think most of us would be the same with out having some sort of training. Look, I don't care how he talks or how he even comes off, I want my team back as soon as possible and AM is our best chance of that happening. I agree about Bettman. He is so smooth with the media, and he helped out AM a few times today. It will be a sad day when he retires from the NHL.

I think all of the criticism of Meruelo is not justified here. He's clearly someone that isn't comfortable in the limelight and came right out and said it. If he seemed uncomfortable and not the most articulate, that's more a sign of someone that isn't comfortable speaking in public. He even stated at one point in the press conference that he doesn't like being out front, because he might say the wrong thing! He's a freaking billionaire with an incredibly diverse portfolio of businesses. If there's a more successful business person on this board, with better business savy, please step forward. When he says the NHL came to him to relinquish the club, I believe him. When he told them no at first, I believe him. He was put in a very difficult position. He could have fought the NHL in court and it would have dragged on for years and things would have been even messier. He's doing everything to keep the Coyotes in AZ. We should be showing him support, not speculating on rumors and hearsay. He's going to the auction on June 27th. He could easily walk away right now and pocket the billion dollars and I wouldn't blame him!
WOW. That was a great post.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yet Bear, who I trust more than anyone in the (former) org said players found out the potential relo on January 24. Hmmm
Maybe that was when Walsh was opening his mouth? I was trying to remember what was said that day about relocation and I couldn't come up with any quotes. That's not saying there wasn't any.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Bettman was right about the lack of comms. The leaks were the problem. Of course they aren’t going to soft announce their intentions before the deal was done. If it fell apart (which sounded like a real possibility) what then?

Complaining about the comms over the few weeks is kinda whiny. Knowing more incomplete information sooner would’ve made nobody feel any better and woudlve changed nothing.

Given the plans for the Deta Center that Gary revealed, not waiting at Mullett another year makes more sense. And watching Meruelo fumble through that made it clear why the NHL wasn’t willing to bet on the auction and development project.
I think seeing Muerelo stumble through the meeting shows why he hired XG, he doesn’t feel confident nor comfortable in public speaking. It’s why. XG is always speaking on behalf of the Muerello group.

I guess when you have that kind of cash if you choose to remain in the background ground you can..

My problem is I suck at public speaking and have no cash.

In any case what ever happens.. he needs to hire a CEO who can handle the public and has experience running a sports team .. it’s way different than running a business

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Bettman the physical embodiment of a sigh if I've ever seen one. You can tell he's tired of being AM's handler. I kept waiting for him to snap "You f***ing see what we're dealing with?!?!" haha

Reporter: "Gary, why would you walk away from AZ like this, why couldn't you make it work?"

Uncle Gary: <gestures broadly towards his right>
I didn't see it that way at all. I saw empathy from Gary toward AM. You don't put your hand on another mans forearm during a presser, w/o empathy. No, I think Gary has seen the intellectual side of AM and knew he was so far out of his comfort zone that it was.... well, cringe worthy.

Reactions: Kaizen and Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think all of the criticism of Meruelo is not justified here. He's clearly someone that isn't comfortable in the limelight and came right out and said it. If he seemed uncomfortable and not the most articulate, that's more a sign of someone that isn't comfortable speaking in public. He even stated at one point in the press conference that he doesn't like being out front, because he might say the wrong thing! He's a freaking billionaire with an incredibly diverse portfolio of businesses. If there's a more successful business person on this board, with better business savy, please step forward. When he says the NHL came to him to relinquish the club, I believe him. When he told them no at first, I believe him. He was put in a very difficult position. He could have fought the NHL in court and it would have dragged on for years and things would have been even messier. He's doing everything to keep the Coyotes in AZ. We should be showing him support, not speculating on rumors and hearsay. He's going to the auction on June 27th. He could easily walk away right now and pocket the billion dollars and I wouldn't blame him!
I mean I get where you're coming from but at some point you have to actually do the shit you say you're going to do right?

Here's what I think is reasonable:

1) Support for charities, hockey programs, etc. in the valley should stay business as usual. He doesn't need to add anything for now but absolutely zero cutting back on any existing ones.
2) Win auction on June 27th.
3) Shortly after winning the auction "activate" the Coyotes and get a "Coming soon" board up on that land
4) Shovels in the ground by 1st quarter 2025

My point is he's got a pretty clear path for redemption here, the outstanding question is does he even have the ability or desire to actually walk that path. We will see and people are right to be skeptical!

I didn't see it that way at all. I saw empathy from Gary toward AM. You don't put your hand on another mans forearm during a presser, w/o empathy. No, I think Gary has seen the intellectual side of AM and knew he was so far out of his comfort zone that it was.... well, cringe worthy.
Fair take, I'm not finished with it yet and I'm switching between it and trying to get actual work done so perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Don't think anyone has pointed out the AM's losses will be far less w/o the now SLC team in the interim. This obviously sucks dirty dingus for us though.

XG is that smooth talking egomaniac. He says a lot and does nothing. I’ll give him credit for one thing…I can’t imagine a life with AM as your boss.
Always find it amusing when a guy that looks, talks and acts like a dick has a huge ego. Not so much in XG's case though, cause we kinda rely on him.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Someone with time needs to fact check the entire press conference. He says he spent $7m on Tempe campaign. Twitter folks have receipts that show he spent $1m. He says Glendale wanted 25 years and kicked him but Craig & Ken Phelps said it was 12. Got some very narcissistic vibes in that presser and suspect lying is a big component of his persona.

Don't think anyone has pointed out the AM's losses will be far less w/o the now SLC team in the interim. This obviously sucks dirty dingus for us though.

Always find it amusing when a guy that looks, talks and acts like a dick has a huge ego. Not so much in XG's case though, cause we kinda rely on him.
Probably around $240 mil. or more, plus what he already has lost. I would just once like to see XG in blue jeans and a polo. :laugh: Talk and look like an overage Joe.

AM also needs to refund season ticket deposits TODAY. I don’t care if he has a lot of stuff going on right now. This is thousands of dollars for people.
Well, the people shouldn't have given a deposit if they couldn't afford it. Bettman said the refund will be coming immediately.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's obvious AM is a terrible public speaker, and he knows it. I think most of us would be the same with out having some sort of training. Look, I don't care how he talks or how he even comes off, I want my team back as soon as possible and AM is our best chance of that happening. I agree about Bettman. He is so smooth with the media, and he helped out AM a few times today. It will be a sad day when he retires from the NHL.

WOW. That was a great post.
I’ll be happy to support him as long as it’s with your money, not mine. :) Until I see shovels in the ground. Clearly this is now shit or get off the pot time for AM.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this point my only hope is that AM can manage to get the Roadrunners to Mullett without screwing that up too badly. That he can get that operation going well and actually invests in youth hockey and the hockey community as promised. Then when the whole arena thing goes south, he just sells the Roadrunners to Smith who turns out to care about and be a good steward of valley hockey and takes good care of the Roadrunners.

I don’t even have faith in Meruelo to own and operate our AHL team properly.

Reactions: Nowotny and Grimes

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
AM also needs to refund season ticket deposits TODAY. I don’t care if he has a lot of stuff going on right now. This is thousands of dollars for people.
They're no doubt to busy to find "creative" ways to get sth's to buy into something, be it RR deposits, priority for 2029 etc. I'm excited to see what their offers are! :sarcasm:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Probably around $240 mil. or more, plus what he already has lost. I would just once like to see XG in blue jeans and a polo. :laugh: Talk and look like an overage Joe.

Well, the people shouldn't have given a deposit if they couldn't afford it. Bettman said the refund will be coming immediately.

Worked for Dubya!

Folks that I know are currently in the joking phase about it and understand it wasn't going to happen overnight

I wouldn't trust Meruelo to tie his own shoes. He'd say he spent 7m on the best shoe tying machine in existence and then come out with Velcro.
He spent a hell of a lot more than that, if you consider the goodwill of the annex as part of the campaign. :naughty:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion, but when someone lies, they shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Meruelo has lied about the team staying in Arizona and that the auction is the last resort.

He's lied about spending 7 million on the Tempe vote.

He's lied about there being unpaid bills.

What else has he lied about?

I wouldn't trust him with my pet, alone an NHL franchise.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Our owner sucks, plain and simple.

He's a terrible owner, but the one redeeming factor for me is the fact he hired BA and spent the money necessary to get the best scouting staff this Organization has ever seen and seemingly this team is on it's way.

Would I rather have another owner, absolutely. But are we gonna get one within 10 years? I don't know and I don't want to be in my 80's when I get to see the Coyotes hit the ice again.

I must say though that he should never speak in front of the media ever again...just let XG handle all of that. Just write the checks (or don't write them) :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
From an optics standpoint this should be one of the first issues addressed. Cannot leave people hanging.
They addressed it at the press conference and said it would happen immediately. No actual dates or anything though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad