Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't see Goldwater as a problem on that, we'll see.... maybe.
I know I don't like it, at least not when the proponents are always taughting it as not being a tax. Better to be upfront and not act like you're trying to hide something, imo.

I know I've been acting ugly drunk over the past couple of days with regard to my opinion on Meruelo, but I think there's one thing all of us can agree on with respect to him no matter which side of the fence we fall on: Alex Meruelo doesn't know the meaning of the word "upfront."

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Something kinda funny is that XG is just f***in gone. Like no mention of him, no interviews, nothing from him today. From being the business mouth of the team to being f***in Waldo
What I thought was hilarious is that as the segment started, Gambo said XG was there and not a word from him, or deferral from AM to him. Unless I misunderstood.

Edit: just listened to the beginning again and yes, Gambo thanks XG for coming in and acknowledges him with a nod. He was never shown on the video though, lending some Creedence to the rumors of his demise!

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Word of advice for AM. Please fill out your new organizational tree with experienced hockey people up and and down the tree.
All he has to do is find another Bill Armstrong, and the rest would take care of itself... At least on the hockey ops side.

He's keeping the business side separate and AFAIK there isn't a hockey person in the bunch.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
All he has to do is find another Bill Armstrong, and the rest would take care of itself... At least on the hockey ops side.

He's keeping the business side separate and AFAIK there isn't a hockey person in the bunch.
That's the part of the tree he needs some hockey leaves on..... as well as finding another BA :skeptic:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

They will air this again at 5:00 pst., but you can see Meruelo's face in the YouTube.

Two biggest things that bothered me were, him talking (they way I heard it anyway), like he needs the theme park district and calling the players his kids, stating he's spoken with them and helped BA pick them. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding regarding the latter, as I'm certain he has nothing to do with drafting the players, other than being on the stage with hockey ops.

Edit: Another concern was him "thinking" he has a meeting upcoming with the city of Phoenix, when (as I understand it), they've seemingly been avoiding him.

Mayor Gallego’s office has confirmed there’s a meeting scheduled.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I'll believe it when I see it... But he does have a cool billion dollars now to work with...

Yeah, I know very little about this guy but it seems like at least that's a major step forward - actually acquiring the damn parcel. From what I've gathered and from what I saw in the interview he did today he's hoping to avail himself of theme park/amusement park legislation. If he's really putting his money where his mouth is, he'll move forward regardless. I see that XG said recently:

“We are going to explore utilizing the amusement park or theme park district legislation that was passed. And at that point, that’s its own sort of process. But that’s not going to impact whether or not we go and try to buy the land or whether or not we can build on it.”

Hopefully that's correct.

Last edited:

Factotum

Apr 13, 2024
The more I dwell on it, the more I feel Meruelo should have humbled himself, tucked his tail between his legs, and gone back to Glendale to broker a peace deal

Break the Mullet lease, which was temporary in nature to begin with. I doubt Tempe would mind, and let ASU keep the annex

It’s hard to grasp that there’s a purpose-built, not-a-bad-seat-in-the-house NHL arena with no anchor tenant sitting idle in a 6 million metro in exchange for the Delta Center in a metro of maybe 2 million. The optics on that at surface level is laughable

Also, at this point, cannot ignore the growth of affluence of Surprise and North Peoria and even to some extent Goodyear and Litchfield Park. This ain’t the 2000’s West Valley

Especially with the team turning a corner operations and on-ice product wise

It should have at least bought some time, gotten the NHLPA off of the markets back, and I cant discount it may have even been a strong business opportunity for Mereuelo. Push comes to shove I bet he could have got a favorable lease, if he approached Glendale with tact and self-awareness. Can’t ignore he may have even wanted to purchase it on the cheap and get a winning product and build some goodwill for a more calculated move

Im examining this from the perspective of post-TED failure

Just a lot to think about at the moment

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I don't think there is any way that Glendale was workable, short a 20-year lease with a major subsidy. Glendale realized that events raised a lot more per capita revenue than hockey games - as a self-fulfilling prophecy, traffic meant you couldn't eat before the game unless you left work at 2 or 3pm. In addition, seeing your favorite band is an all-out splurge, whereas as an STH, we would often eat at Chipotle, slam a single beer at Margaritaville, and get to the game just before it started. The devil may be Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes, who severed the team from the real estate, and Murelo was just the last in well-meaning incompetent vulture capitalists who owned the team until they ran out of a place to play and time to play with. Only time will tell. If he is able to redeem himself, then even though today I am hurting and swearing at him, I may change my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad