Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You have to give AM credit for hiring Bill Armstrong and the fact that he was open to letting Armstrong tear the whole thing down for 4 years and allow a complete rebuild says something deeper than everyone is giving Meruelo credit for. This team will mature and be a very good team going forward, and to just give BA all the credit is a mistake. Usually when a billionaire comes in and buys a franchise they want to make a big splash, usually to the detriment of the organization long term. AM allowed the rebuild process to take place and I think that was the right move. Armstrong does nothing without AM's approval. This all went south with the Tempe vote.
Definitely, he should have found someone with hockey experience for the front office as well.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is all going to come out soon, but the reason they're leaving and Meruelo is selling is because he didn't have the money to finance the project and after desperately searching for it, found no one who would do it.

The potential "in-state buyer" didn't exist. Completely fabricated. There was another potential buyer not named Ishbia that was interested but Meruelo told him to pound sand.

There's more coming but the bottom line is, he never had the money to do this himself, for those of you who keep saying he's a billionaire, yada yada.

Also, if he decides to retain the Roadrunners, they're rebranding the franchise and it will be constantly ridiculed if they go with the name they're planning on using. Alex Jr. is involved in that, if that tells you anything.

Dump on me all you want, but I haven't been wrong yet.
Oh but SR told us he has investors. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We've got too hear directly from Meruelo eventually, right? RIGHT!?
Anything that comes out of his mouth will be a lie. His goal from the beginning was to make a bundle off this team. When he found out he wasn't getting any taxpayer money the con was on. Even the tax abatements from Tempe probably weren't enough. He wanted a taxpayer funded building to play in. Instead, he tanked the whole thing and got relocation money. Even if they could have found a local buyer, it wasn't going to be for that kind of money. I'm sure he wasn't even going to consider that.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
We've got too hear directly from Meruelo eventually, right? RIGHT!? And I mean more rhan a typed up memo.

"I agree with Commissioner Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League, that it is simply unfair to continue to have our Players, coaches, hockey front office, and the NHL teams they compete against, spend several more years playing in an arena that is not suited for NHL hockey,” said Arizona Coyotes Chairman & Governor Alex Meruelo.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
"I agree with Commissioner Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League, that it is simply unfair to continue to have our Players, coaches, hockey front office, and the NHL teams they compete against, spend several more years playing in an arena that is not suited for NHL hockey,” said Arizona Coyotes Chairman & Governor Alex Meruelo.
He’s such a f***ing piece of shit

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Meruelo officially given the rights to an expansion team for 5 years. My guess is that if there was anybody else out there with the cash and the interest in a billion dollar team and the cost of building an arena they wouldn't have granted that. There is apparently nobody else.

Or if there is the NHL has already thought of a way to get around that guarantee. I doubt there is.

Reactions: Nowotny

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just completely lied to everyone. How can someone this dishonest live with themselves? Just say nothing. What a garbage human being.
“I agree with Commissioner Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League, that it is simply unfair to continue to have our Players, coaches, hockey front office, and the NHL teams they compete against, spend several more years playing in an arena that is not suited for NHL hockey,” said Arizona Coyotes Chairman & Governor Alex Meruelo. “But this is not the end for NHL hockey in Arizona. I have negotiated the right to reactivate the team within the next five years, and have retained ownership of the beloved Coyotes name, brand and logo. I remain committed to this community and to building a first-class sports arena and entertainment district without seeking financial support from the public.”

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
1713471370637.png

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So this forum will remain and Utah gets its own board eighth??

The ultimate fate of this board is still to be determined, I'm not really in a hurry to close it though we still have to see what the fallout of all this expansion situation is, hear what the reporters turn up vis a vis how this all went down (cause it's been awfuly quiet this week....) and whatever else.

Then we'll see.

Utah already has a board.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
He’s such a f***ing piece of shit
Just completely lied to everyone. How can someone this dishonest live with themselves? Just say nothing. What a garbage human being.
“I agree with Commissioner Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League, that it is simply unfair to continue to have our Players, coaches, hockey front office, and the NHL teams they compete against, spend several more years playing in an arena that is not suited for NHL hockey,” said Arizona Coyotes Chairman & Governor Alex Meruelo. “But this is not the end for NHL hockey in Arizona. I have negotiated the right to reactivate the team within the next five years, and have retained ownership of the beloved Coyotes name, brand and logo. I remain committed to this community and to building a first-class sports arena and entertainment district without seeking financial support from the public.”
Aka. Hooray I don’t have to pay any hockey ops and players for a few years

Reactions: DustyDangler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad