Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why not sign a long term lease with Glendale and then just break it when a new arena is ready?
At this point, Meruelo probably couldn't get them to the table if he begged them. Glendale will only ever be an option for someone else.

The Glendale City Manager wanted a 15-20 year lease, but it had to be a minimum of 12, to make the improvements that the City wanted to make to the arena worth it. They were not going to offer anything shorter than 12 years. That was a non-starter for the Coyotes.
Ironic, then, that the best case scenario for Meruelo building the district and reactivating the franchise will end up being more or less exactly 12 years from the Big Divorce. :sarcasm:

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Realistically, the relationship with Glendale was cooked with Ice Edge, any idea that there would be a compromise or that somehow AM could charm Glendale into cooperation is naive. I understand that for Glendale stopping a new arena was huge, the minute a brand new arena is built, it makes it harder to compete for everything. Glendale Arena is a very nice arena located far away from where many STH live. (FWIW, I live in South Phoenix - and it isn't too bad for me, but when I lived downtown, it was 90 minutes from the parking garage to the arena). I can blame everyone for a lot, but I can't blame AM for this relationship. Glendale had all the cards, and they were never going to allow the Coyotes to set up another arena. They are vastly better off with the Coyotes out of town than in a different arena in the Phoenix Area.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Meurelo is a chronically lying POS. I don't remember exactly but I recall when that part of the saga was going down that Glendale wanted 12 years. Which would have given him a nice long cushion to get his district built. Shortsighted move.
That quote was wrong from me. It was 20yrs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was thinking about the Doan banner. Given what occurred, are we to assume the Pacific Division, Leighton, and Winnipeg banners are also in a dumpster somewhere?

• Wow
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anyone feel like countering this take? Because I think Laurie Roberts hit the nail square on the head.

So, it's ok for the Diamondbacks, but not the Coyote's? If you don't want any part of the tax don't attend or shop at the district. Also, I believe I heard either XG or AM state the won't stop the project regardless.

It’s gonna really hurt watching the Utah Nameless play their first playoff game next year.
I'll be really happy for the players. They have worked their ass off the last two years. In fact all of the front office deserve the playoffs.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kinda hard when they keep referring it as a “tax” rather then a “usage fee”

The word “tax” is like putting up red curtains in the windows of your china shop before the running of the bulls.
I agree.

Why not sign a long term lease with Glendale and then just break it when a new arena is ready?
And lost in court and have to pay everything owing in one lump sum?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed.

Another two cents from is that I don’t think they (AM), should stand alone financially on infrastructure costs that will benefit city, state and future development. Nor is it fair that the patrons that visit the development pay for those same improvements.
I agree, but the residents would balk at those costs because people don't understand why you should have to give a billionaire tax breaks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not the point at all. Moving to a college arena before there was a new building is what lost us the team. He needed to stay in Glendale until he had a new arena. Being a professional businessman instead of a prick could have easily got that accomplished.
Do you understand why he couldn't?

The Glendale City Manager wanted a 15-20 year lease, but it had to be a minimum of 12, to make the improvements that the City wanted to make to the arena worth it. They were not going to offer anything shorter than 12 years. That was a non-starter for the Coyotes.

If Mullett Arena did not exist, the team would have relocated 2 years ago. The team was lost anyways.
Exactly. Why is it so hard for people to understand this?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You know, I know the owners of Castles and Coasters... If Meruelo wanted a discussion with them, I could facilitate it.

But considering his lack of outreach skills, I am not going to hold my breath.
Meruelo does not possess a growth mindset. If he did he could look 650 miles north to learn how community outreach works.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Exactly. Why is it so hard for people to understand this?
Because your beloved Daddy Warbucks was hemorrhaging money either way. A little patience could have gone a long ways. Not that Bettman and his uncharacteristic (in this case) big mouth wasn’t partly to blame by announcing (before AM even purchased) that Glendale was not sustainable for the franchise. All that accomplished was a new owner coming in with guns blazing and immediate animosity.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Because your beloved Daddy Warbucks was hemorrhaging money either way. A little patience could have gone a long ways. Not that Bettman and his uncharacteristic (in this case) big mouth wasn’t partly to blame by announcing (before AM even purchased) that Glendale was not sustainable for the franchise. All that accomplished was a new owner coming in with guns blazing and immediate animosity.
Exactly. What if he threw some of the money he had to pay ASU to get the facility ready at Glendale? Money talks. This was about ego. He even said it. He didn't think they'd throw him out for any reason so he acted like a complete ass and treated the city and us like shit. They called his bluff and he lost our team. We're f***ed and he doubles his money. As usual, the only ones that suffer are the fans.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Anyone feel like countering this take? Because I think Laurie Roberts hit the nail square on the head.

I will. Why wouldn't Meruelo try for incentives that are available to businesses.? He'd be a bad businessmen if he didn't. If these government incentives weren't available we'd all be living in grass huts.

In Utah the taxpayers are paying for the whole cost of the arena. The City of Phoenix paid $150 million (taxpayer money)to renovate the Footprint Center while the Suns paid $80 million and that was not through incentives, that was tax payer money. I'm sure if this crosses the line, the Goldwater Institute will be knocking the door.

To give Roberts credit she did question the way Phoenix handled the Footprint renovation deal.
She was also against the Tempe arena vote when the AZ Republic endorsed it. She reminds me of those voters in Tempe that just see red when they hear the term "billionaire".
Food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
At this point, Meruelo probably couldn't get them to the table if he begged them. Glendale will only ever be an option for someone else.

Ironic, then, that the best case scenario for Meruelo building the district and reactivating the franchise will end up being more or less exactly 12 years from the Big Divorce. :sarcasm:
Yeah, unless there was a way to build a new arena in secret, there's no way we could go back to Glendale. The city would find grounds to sue him the day the first shovel hit the ground.

Reactions: MisterPurple

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Is this true?

The article doesn't mention the Olympics. From what I've read, even though the IOC said a new hockey venue is not needed, the Utah legislature passed a bill for new hockey facility to use at the Olympics and also house a future NHL team. At the time of the legislation, the state didn't know they were getting the coyotes.

In the short term, Smith plans renovations, but over the next 6 years a new NHL arena might emerge.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
The article doesn't mention the Olympics. From what I've read, even though the IOC said a new hockey venue is not needed, the Utah legislature passed a bill for new hockey facility to use at the Olympics and also house a future NHL team. At the time of the legislation, the state didn't know they were getting the coyotes.

In the short term, Smith plans renovations, but over the next 6 years a new NHL arena might emerge.

It's a little confusing, but the Salt Lake Tribune seems to be claiming that the Jazz and NHL team have to be downtown. It appears they would be prohibited from playing in a building south of Salt Lake where Smith intended to build the arena.
From the article:
But Smith said legislative leaders intervened to keep the Jazz and NHL team downtown.

Renovating an arena to that degree would probably require closing it for a year or more.
The video uses the Seattle arena as an example of what might have to be done.

I wonder if they can play at the BYU, Peaks Arena until the renovation is complete? I think it seats around 2300.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's a little confusing, but the Salt Lake Tribune seems to be claiming that the Jazz and NHL team have to be downtown. It appears they would be prohibited from playing in a building south of Salt Lake where Smith intended to build the arena.
From the article:
But Smith said legislative leaders intervened to keep the Jazz and NHL team downtown.

Renovating an arena to that degree would probably require closing it for a year or more.
The video uses the Seattle arena as an example of what might have to be done.

I wonder if they can play at the BYU, Peaks Arena until the renovation is complete? I think it seats around 2300.

Well, the Olympic arena is getting built. Bank on it. But if the Utah team needs a place to play while Delta Center gets renovated, just across town on the I-215 loop is the Maverik Center. It has ice, it seats 10k, and has available dates. No need to play in Provo or repeat the sins of Alex Meruelo.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

The plan is to complete the renovations over 2 off-seasons. How exactly? Don't know, but read it somewhere.

Smith also is planning to build an entertainment district around the Delta center, which sounds like he plans on staying long term. Maybe moving to the future Olympic arena isn't in the cards. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad