All Purpose Coaching Thread - Maurice, Assistants, Potential Replacements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Another thing... Who cares what his coaching record was before he came here? What is his coaching record since he came here?

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Pretty basic philosophy on coaching. Maurice took over a Hartford team that had 7 consecutive losing seasons with 6 coaching changes. He lead them to 2 Division titles and the Stanley Cup finals in 2001-2002. They eventually bottomed out again, not because of Maurice, but due to having 2/8 first or second round draft picks play more than 50 NHL games in the first 5 years in Carolina. Carolina's organization was a mess in their final couple of years in Hartford, and their first few in Carolina.
He was 76-66-11 in Toronto, before returning to Carolina. In his first season back in Carolina, they placed 2nd in the division, and made it to the eastern finals. With the Jets he has had a 136-112-33 record, his only blight being missing the playoffs last season, when the Jets faced a ton of adversity with numerous key injuries.

I'd say if these numbers are accurate,(Jets-136-112-33) that's not a bad coaching record considering last year, he was "without"--Myers and Kulikov, and the Goaltending was at about .865 SP%. Also many of the young guys were just in their 1st year and acclimating to the NHL.. This year his winning percentage is even better, with Goaltending being around .92 SP% and Myers adding to the scoring sheet from the blue line. These are big differences !!!

I think we'll have to look at the season's end to evaluate Maurice, and I have a feeling a lot of fans will be happy with what he's done ?-- time will tell.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Like him or not you can remove the "Potential Replacements" from the title of this thread. Maurice will be our coach for the foreseeable future. He just got extended and the team is having it's best season ever and shows no signs of falling off the rails. If he ever takes us on a deep playoff run the job will be his for a very long time IMO at least. And with the talent the organization has assembled he will be ultimately judged if he can help bring us a cup.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Like him or not you can remove the "Potential Replacements" from the title of this thread. Maurice will be our coach for the foreseeable future. He just got extended and the team is having it's best season ever and shows no signs of falling off the rails. If he ever takes us on a deep playoff run the job will be his for a very long time IMO at least. And with the talent the organization has assembled he will be ultimately judged if he can help bring us a cup.

You could pretty much sticky this post and close the thread because you are 100% accurate.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not impressed by Maurice one bit. His social skills do not translate to being a great NHL coach. Those skills have kept him in the continent but that's as far as I'd credit him for. While the team is doing great in the standings, everyone should have a look at the roster he has in the hands. There's maybe a less than a handful of NHL coaches today who can run three lines with as much scoring potential. Not to mention having defence pairings that are borderline elite in NHL standards, or the netminding that has proven to stand up on their heads at some nights to keep the team in the game. I think pretty much any coach in the league would make it work given the exact same tools. As for Maurice, he should not be judged on whether the Jets get into the playoffs but instead how deep in the playoffs can he "lead" his team. With unearthly roster comes the expectations. Chev is the man who's made all of this possible and if someone deserved the credit for where the team is today, that should be him. Of course when judging a coach, GM or whoever, the history should not be forgotten either. How they are fairing today is just a small piece in the large puzzle.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
His social skills? What, he doesn’t lift his pinky when drinking tea? Seriously, who gives a rats ass about his social skills? Pat Burns is a Hall of Fame coach, considered one of the best, he left Montreal because he couldn't get along with the media, and was well known for being tough on his players. Punch Imlach has been ranked as a top 10 coach of all time, and he was hated by players, fans and media. Imlach was considered an extreme authoritarian, who bore grudges against his own players. Mike Keenan is another 'great', who had numerous run-ins with players, fans, media and management. John Tortorella is probably the biggest asshole to stand behind a bench, but he is still considered a premier coach, due to his results.
I don't care how good a coach is with the media, and I don't care if he fulfills the fans' Fantasy League dreams..........he needs to get the best results with the players he has been given

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't care how good a coach is with the media, and I don't care if he fulfills the fans' Fantasy League dreams..........he needs to get the best results with the players he has been given

You really think Maurice is doing that? Looks to me more like he's suppressing their potential.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
In what way specifically?

I know you're familiar with the Perrault situation. Start there.

I don't think he's doing anyone on the second line any favours. I don't think he even has to think outside the box to improve that, just try some different things, see if they work better.

He's evidently trying to tap into Hendricks's potential, which is akin to this: :deadhorse . . . at the expense of someone better (pick anyone).

I think he's more or less doing okay by the defensemen but his choices at forward leave a lot to be desired. I also think he should give Mason a bit more work if they want to keep him warm and motivated.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
In what way specifically?

I have a post in the ‘lineup changes’ thread where I was saying how I was listening to laviolette talk about optimizing his team for playoffs and injuries even though they already have an incredible record. IMO Maurice is frozen and afraid to do anything to upset what we have. He has done ok getting us here, but he shouldn’t be happy with this or we won’t go far into the playoffs imo. He is certainly doing nothing to see what the jets are capable of. He found something that works pretty good at the beginning of the year and washes his hands of it.

That laviolette interview was eye opening for me.

Reactions: Board Bard

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have a post in the ‘lineup changes’ thread where I was saying how I was listening to laviolette talk about optimizing his team for playoffs and injuries even though they already have an incredible record. IMO Maurice is frozen and afraid to do anything to upset what we have. He has done ok getting us here, but he shouldn’t be happy with this or we won’t go far into the playoffs imo. He is certainly doing nothing to see what the jets are capable of. He found something that works pretty good at the beginning of the year and washes his hands of it.

That laviolette interview was eye opening for me.
I think Maurice has been focusing on banking points early in the season and keeping momentum through a tough stretch as a priority over planning for the playoffs. That's probably related to a lot of pressure just to make the playoffs. I hope he is able to switch gears at some point and have the team restd and ready, but the Central is such a grind that it's hard to ease up at all.

Reactions: Hunter368

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Maurice has been focusing on banking points early in the season and keeping momentum through a tough stretch as a priority over planning for the playoffs. That's probably related to a lot of pressure just to make the playoffs. I hope he is able to switch gears at some point and have the team restd and ready, but the Central is such a grind that it's hard to ease up at all.

I completely agree that is what he is likely doing, and agree about the pressure, but that isn’t stopping the Preds. He might have better luck resting his team if he switched things up a bit, but he’s playing Scheifele and wheeler into the ground. I’ll bet that the team isn’t optimized where you can rotate players and minutes, but that would take some coaching confidence.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I completely agree that is what he is likely doing, and agree about the pressure, but that isn’t stopping the Preds. He might have better luck resting his team if he switched things up a bit, but he’s playing Scheifele and wheeler into the ground. I’ll bet that the team isn’t optimized where you can rotate players and minutes, but that would take some coaching confidence.
I'm hoping that during the second half of the season the Jets get a bit of breathing room and as the schedule eases up they can rest Scheifele and Wheeler more. They are really the only two that are being used hard. I would keep them off the PK and get them to shorten shifts a bit. I shouldn't be too hard to shave 90-120 seconds off their time. Of course, the best solution might be to get a better 4C and play that line a bit more. Hendricks actually forces Maurice to play that line less than Perreault and Armia should.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
For a what have you done for me lately profession, Maurice's ancient history sure seems to weigh more heavily than his recent one. It's interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Maukkis

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
For a what have you done for me lately profession, Maurice's ancient history sure seems to weigh more heavily than his recent one. It's interesting to say the least.

We'll see how Mo does the rest of the season, Jets look to be on the slippery side of the plateau right now which isn't good!

3-5-2 in last 10 games currently on a two game losing streak.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Maurice is 156 - 123 in 318 games (.552) while coaching the Jets (hockey-reference.com). I'd say that's pretty good considering two of the seasons have been development years... Does he make mistakes, yes. Is he as bad as some people on this board suggests, no.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maurice is 156 - 123 in 318 games (.552) while coaching the Jets (hockey-reference.com). I'd say that's pretty good considering two of the seasons have been development years... Does he make mistakes, yes. Is he as bad as some people on this board suggests, no.

You forgot some losses, the ones that happen in overtime, including the 6 this season, for which Maurice apparently doesn't have the team practice. If you include those losses, he's 156-162, or .490. In other words, he's Paul Maurice.

Reactions: DashingDane

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm hoping that during the second half of the season the Jets get a bit of breathing room and as the schedule eases up they can rest Scheifele and Wheeler more. They are really the only two that are being used hard. I would keep them off the PK and get them to shorten shifts a bit. I shouldn't be too hard to shave 90-120 seconds off their time. Of course, the best solution might be to get a better 4C and play that line a bit more. Hendricks actually forces Maurice to play that line less than Perreault and Armia should.
Is it just me, or have others seen more of Little-Armia as the forward pairing on the PK recently? I think that is the best way to limit their workload; Armia plays very little anyway, and Little is more than a capable center on the PK (moreover, he excels at faceoffs, which could be utilised).

I agree with Hendricks making it tough to deploy the lines evenly. Unless Little or Lowry is double-shifted, you can't really limit Scheifele's minutes too much. As for Wheeler, I wonder if he could benefit from a lesser workload similarly to Buff.

Reactions: DashingDane

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
You forgot some losses, the ones that happen in overtime, including the 6 this season, for which Maurice apparently doesn't have the team practice. If you include those losses, he's 156-162, or .490. In other words, he's Paul Maurice.

Just went off hockey-reference and liked what I saw :D OT losses certainly change that :laugh:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There is a massive flaw in your post. You included OT losses as regulation losses and calculated the point percentage from that data. Doesn't work that way.

Maurice is 156-123-39 in 318 games with the Jets = .552.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Now that Chevy has shown that he's been an effective GM, most of the fire from those more negatively inclined has turned on Maurice, even though the team has been at least as effective as the Babcock-coached team this season. It will be interesting to see what other refuge of negativity will be found if Maurice coaches this team on a very strong run.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a massive flaw in your post. You included OT losses as regulation losses and calculated the point percentage from that data. Doesn't work that way.

Why bother? The Jets are near the top of a very tough division and some still want to cite his record with the Whalers and dregs-era Leafs.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Now that Chevy has shown that he's been an effective GM, most of the fire from those more negatively inclined has turned on Maurice, even though the team has been at least as effective as the Babcock-coached team this season. It will be interesting to see what other refuge of negativity will be found if Maurice coaches this team on a very strong run.
I'd recommend checking out the discussion on lineups. A couple of candidates for the next scapegoat can be found from there.

Why bother? The Jets are near the top of a very tough division and some still want to cite his record with the Whalers and dregs-era Leafs.
True, but I don't think anyone would be completely aware of a mistake that bad and still leave it in to make a point.

As pointed out in this thread, one thing that amazes me is the complete turnaround in faceoffs.

2017-18: 52.6%
2016-17: 48.5%
2015-16: 46.7%
2014-15: 49.1%

Looking at individual percentages, Scheifele has gone from being a consistent 43-44% guy to a 52.3% this year. Over the course of a year, that is absolutely massive; so far, that improvement has amounted to 67 more faceoff wins than what last year's Scheifele would have gotten. Little was already leading the team in this department last year, and he has maintained that level (from 55.6% to 55.9%). Lowry is yet another Jet who has taken huge strides forward; last year's FO% of 50.8 has risen to 54.7 in a year. Hendricks... has fallen off a cliff. He's our only regular center with a negative FO%, with 49.6. In the past, he has had some 55+% years, but this year has been different.

A part of this must be due to the more strict officiating of faceoffs, but could it have an effect that big? I don't buy it.

Now, I don't know how much of this is about coaching, but regardless of that, it is still an impressive improvement and those who are responsible should be praised for it.

Reactions: Hunter368

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

There is a massive flaw in your assumption. I didn't calculate points, just barebones wins-losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad