Speculation: All Picks After Patrischier

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah we would need two 2nds to even get the ball rolling on moving up into the 1st.

I wonder what we could get in a trade for guys like Raffl, Cousins, Read, Laughton, etc.

Guys like Read and Cousins aren't worth much. Maybe a 3rd rounder from some team tops?

Raffl and Laughton are the 2 guys who I could see having value. Raffl though......a year ago we asked for 2 2nds for him -- and when you have guys like Eller and Shaw commanding that, it was a more than fair price. Now I am not sure where his value is at. I still think he's a really useful player who will bounce back, but between another injury and a down year, teams might not be willing to trade a late 1st for a mid 2nd+Raffl. May not have been willing to do it anyway. I think there's more of a mental hurdle in trading a 1st for a guy like Raffl+ than 2 2nds, even if value is equal.

Laughton is the most likely in my mind to package with the 2nd and get that 1st rounder. Former 1st round pick sheen lasts for a long time.......looks at Gudbranson, Lazar, and so on. Laughton really hasn't done anything to prove he isn't capable of being an NHLer with upside. Hextall the Salesman would say his injuries set him back a bit; he showed he can score at a solid level, but he was sent back down to work on his defense and playing center. I could see a team trading a late 1st for 2nd+Laughton. But I don't know if the Flyers actually do think Laughton is a part of their future. He might not be, or he might only be a 4th liner on this team, so I don't see why you wouldn't sell high if you could on him.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think it's more likely the Flyers trade back into the 2nd round with their two 3rd rd picks than back into the 1st round. I can't see a club valuing Laughton for a 1st rd pick even with a 2nd attached.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
All things are situational -- surprise players fall -- but I don't really see the point in packaging multiple 3rd to move into the late 2nd round at this time. I think this draft already drops off by then in obvious targets, and you're more reaching on guys that you feel strongly about and can probably nab later. In which case, give me the multiple lottery tickets in the 3rd. Trading up into the high 2nd, or even late 1st if remotely possible (may not be), makes the most sense to me. I still think there will be a few prime targets available there that make it more than worth it. This draft gets really congested in the 20-45 range. I think there's a good chance teams would feel more comfortable trading down knowing they'll get someone they believe is close in quality.

Whether they can or can't, an interesting question would be: WHO exactly should -- or would -- the Flyers target in the 25-35 range that they'd move multiple assets for?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
All things are situational -- surprise players fall -- but I don't really see the point in packaging multiple 3rd to move into the late 2nd round at this time. I think this draft already drops off by then in obvious targets, and you're more reaching on guys that you feel strongly about and can probably nab anyway. In which case, give me the multiple lottery tickets in the 3rd. Trading up into the high 2nd, or even late 1st if remotely possible (may not be), makes the most sense to me. I still think there will be a few prime targets available there that make it more than worth it.

Whether they can or can't, an interesting question would be: WHO exactly should the Flyers target in the 25-35 range that they'd move multiple assets for?

The guy I am most intrigued by is Alexei Lipanov. Russians are still undervalued and that's where teams can really hit a home run. He could be there when the Flyers pick at 44 though.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The guy I am most intrigued by is Alexei Lipanov. Russians are still undervalued and that's where teams can really hit a home run. He could be there when the Flyers pick at 44 though.

I have him grouped with guys like Ratcliffe, Lind, Comtois. I wouldn't trade up for any of them, and even at 44 I wouldn't be particularly thrilled, but I'd be OK with it. They all look like they have pro potential. As for Lipanov, I wanted to like him more than I did. I like high IQ players with skills; I was all about The Rubtsov last year. Lipanov has some skills, can skate, needs weight but that's no issue. My one gripe is he so often doesn't play on the puck. I don't know why that is. Saw it in the VHL, but that's a men's league, so fine, he's young. But he did it when I watched him play for Russia too. Maybe it's because he played with a monster in Svechnikov, but it seemed a theme. Smart player, usually in solid position off puck, but just wasn't doing much on the puck and infrequently had it. Ken Hoodikoff is a solid scout though, so I trust him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Whether they can or can't, an interesting question would be: WHO exactly should -- or would -- the Flyers target in the 25-35 range that they'd move multiple assets for?

This is the whole issue. The talk about trading up is great, but who's worth it? For me to consider paying the price to move up to ~35, I'm going to want a guy I have in the early 20s or at least on the same tier as those in that area.

I suspect most of the names given are going to be trendy ones like Thomas or now Chytil. It might make even more sense to attack it from the entire other way and say if X falls, I start calling around. We can eliminate the Glass/Vilardi/etc grouping that wouldn't even get into your range with a drastic fall. What if there's a run on D in the teens and Poehling is sitting there at 25? That's an entirely different situation from securing Thomas on most boards.

Maybe break it down by I would move multiple extra picks to secure vs I would give up one of (81 and the 4ths) to secure.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have him grouped with guys like Ratcliffe, Lind, Comtois. I wouldn't trade up for any of them, and even at 44 I wouldn't be particularly thrilled, but I'd be OK with it. They all look like they have pro potential. As for Lipanov, I wanted to like him more than I did. I like high IQ players with skills; I was all about The Rubtsov last year. Lipanov has some skills, can skate, needs weight but that's no issue. My one gripe is he so often doesn't play on the puck. I don't know why that is. Saw it in the VHL, but that's a men's league, so fine, he's young. But he did it when I watched him play for Russia too. Maybe it's because he played with a monster in Svechnikov, but it seemed a theme. Smart player, usually in solid position off puck, but just wasn't doing much on the puck and infrequently had it. Ken Hoodikoff is a solid scout though, so I trust him.

Well I wouldn't worry about him being picked at 44. Seems like another Voroybov situation were the Flyers will have a 2nd rd grade on him and hope he falls. If the Flyers are going to take him, he will probably have to fall to the 3rd round. Hextall seems like he is willing to lose a player he likes as opposed to drafting them too early.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is the whole issue. The talk about trading up is great, but who's worth it? For me to consider paying the price to move up to ~35, I'm going to want a guy I have in the early 20s or at least on the same tier as those in that area.

I suspect most of the names given are going to be trendy ones like Thomas or now Chytil. It might make even more sense to attack it from the entire other way and say if X falls, I start calling around. We can eliminate the Glass/Vilardi/etc grouping that wouldn't even get into your range with a drastic fall. What if there's a run on D in the teens and Poehling is sitting there at 25? That's an entirely different situation from securing Thomas on most boards.

Maybe break it down by I would move multiple extra picks to secure vs I would give up one of (81 and the 4ths) to secure.

We're definitely flying blind more than the GMs. They'll have a greater inkling of where guys are expected to go and where you'd need to trade up to acquire them. But I'd be more than willing to pay that cost for Poehling if there. He likely would have been one of my favorites at 13. I see a great floor and untapped potential. I think he could fit in at wing or center on this team very well, like Rubtsov, so fit is more than there as well. I agree that Thomas has become too trendy of late. I don't even think he's there now to create the option. I also prefer Poehling, in general and for this team.

Yamamoto and Poehling are probably the two realistic guys I'd do whatever it would take to move up into the 20s to nab. It would be expensive, and you'd have to have a guy much higher and be wowed by him to do so. But ranked 10 and 11 respectively for me, the value is there. Now, I imagine the latter would interest the Flyers more, to answer the "who would they" part. I also still am not sure where Kailer goes. It's not lunacy to me to see him slip into the 30s.

I have a handful of guys I have higher than consensus: Yamamoto, Poehling, Thomas (anymore?).....then Brännström, Robertson, Brook, Mismash, Chytil. Filip Chytil has definitely become trendier with his combine and u18 performance, and he's someone who I wasn't sure how to entirely read before and still had him at ~20. He feels toolsier and higher ceiling than the other ones on my board there. Maybe if he's there at 25, it creates interest. Czech league guys have a habit of falling though, so maybe he's there at 35. Doubtful but hey. Brännström isn't a great fit/need for our pool, and that has to come into play to do a targeted trade up. Robertson, Brook, Mismash......I really like all 3, but that's a value thing where I don't think we need to trade up that far. At 35 one or all could be there. At 44 there's a chance for one still, most likely Brook, and the idea of trading up for a d-man doesn't seem the most essential thing anyway. Otherwise, I try my luck that JAD, Frost, Boqvist, etc are there at our pick. I could actually see the Flyers liking JAD......fits their high character, 200 ft mold w/ goal scoring potential.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Will be happy with some of this guys in 2-3 rounds:
Filip Chytil
Evan Barrat
Josh Brook
Nick Henry
Morgan Geekie
Jake Leschyshyn
Jack Studnicka
Luke Martin
Lane Zablocki

IMO Studnicka has most offensive upside

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
We're definitely flying blind more than the GMs. They'll have a greater inkling of where guys are expected to go and where you'd need to trade up to acquire them. But I'd be more than willing to pay that cost for Poehling if there. He likely would have been one of my favorites at 13. I see a great floor and untapped potential. I think he could fit in at wing or center on this team very well, like Rubtsov, so fit is more than there as well. I agree that Thomas has become too trendy of late. I don't even think he's there now to create the option. I also prefer Poehling, in general and for this team.

Yamamoto and Poehling are probably the two realistic guys I'd do whatever it would take to move up into the 20s to nab. It would be expensive, and you'd have to have a guy much higher and be wowed by him to do so. But ranked 10 and 11 respectively for me, the value is there. Now, I imagine the latter would interest the Flyers more, to answer the "who would they" part. I also still am not sure where Kailer goes. It's not lunacy to me to see him slip into the 30s. .

Poehling is probably going in the teens so if you are going to pay the price to get that high why not go all the way to ten for Pettersson?

It's going to cost something that hurts to move back into the 1st round. I think Vegas's 2nd round pick is the earliest the Flyers can get with just picks and or 2nd level prospects. So Poehling is definitely out of the question but Yamamoto could be there with how short he is.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Speaking of potential second round targets, what in the world happened to Lodnia in the playoffs? I really liked what I saw in the regular season, but didn't catch too much of their run.

Yamamoto and Poehling are probably the two realistic guys I'd do whatever it would take to move up into the 20s to nab. It would be expensive, and you'd have to have a guy much higher and be wowed by him to do so. But ranked 10 and 11 respectively for me, the value is there. Now, I imagine the latter would interest the Flyers more, to answer the "who would they" part. I also still am not sure where Kailer goes. It's not lunacy to me to see him slip into the 30s.

I have a handful of guys I have higher than consensus: Yamamoto, Poehling, Thomas (anymore?).....then Brännström, Robertson, Brook, Mismash, Chytil. Filip Chytil has definitely become trendier with his combine and u18 performance, and he's someone who I wasn't sure how to entirely read before and still had him at ~20. He feels toolsier and higher ceiling than the other ones on my board there. Maybe if he's there at 25, it creates interest. Czech league guys have a habit of falling though, so maybe he's there at 35. Doubtful but hey. Brännström isn't a great fit/need for our pool, and that has to come into play to do a targeted trade up. Robertson, Brook, Mismash......I really like all 3, but that's a value thing where I don't think we need to trade up that far. At 35 one or all could be there. At 44 there's a chance for one still, most likely Brook, and the idea of trading up for a d-man doesn't seem the most essential thing anyway. Otherwise, I try my luck that JAD, Frost, Boqvist, etc are there at our pick. I could actually see the Flyers liking JAD......fits their high character, 200 ft mold w/ goal scoring potential.

Exactly the kind of difference in ranking needed to potentially pay the price to get back into the 1st. Even then, as best as you can eyeball, your potential list is 2 deep after factoring in all of the necessary aspects. The stars have to line up for the extra cost to be worth it.

Poehling is probably going in the teens so if you are going to pay the price to get that high why not go all the way to ten for Pettersson?

It's going to cost something that hurts to move back into the 1st round. I think Vegas's 2nd round pick is the earliest the Flyers can get with just picks and or 2nd level prospects. So Poehling is definitely out of the question but Yamamoto could be there with how short he is.

Because there's a chasm between 10 and 25. The point was to bring up a name who would be a huge long shot but not completely absurd to be there at the end of the first -- mostly projected in the teens was exactly why I chose him. If you prefer, exchange him with another name.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of potential second round targets, what in the world happened to Lodnia in the playoffs? I really liked what I saw in the regular season, but didn't catch too much of their run.

He got buried on the depth chart. He was on a line with another draft eligible in Gera Poddubnyi. A Russian Import but came over to play hockey in the Philly area before going to Erie. He played for the Jr. Flyers & at Bishop Shanahan HS in Downingtown.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It was just a hypothetical premise Jojo suggested. I also don't think it's that crazy either; Poehling is actually someone who teams could have varied opinions on and is hard to peg down where he might go. He could certainly go in the teens......but his average consensus ranking is ~20-22 right now, so it's not outlandish to me to see him find his way to 25 from there. Pettersson is nowhere near as a consensus top 10 pick. Poehling is a rather unique case playing in the bottom 6 of a college team as a 17 year old, then the 3rd line at the u18s. He's a player who doesn't have the statistical profile of other kids, and you're banking a lot on gut feeling and projection. Some teams also feel more comfortable than others drafting out of the HS/college route. I feel like there are teams who might be skittish with him, while a few others are gaga.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I had a draft crush on Abramov last year. Yamamoto is a similar type of player, absolutely electric. Would love to trade back into the 1st if he falls to the late 20s.

Im with you on this one! Id also be totally fine with taking Stelio at 44 (high or not) although Id be just as happy with Entwistle or Lipanov.

Wonder if someone in the teens may take a shot at Yanamoto??

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't want the Flyers to make that trade flipped but I guess its a matter of opinion and needs/wants?

I like the idea of sacrificing some quantity for quality considering how much depth our pipeline has.

If we can recoup a 3rd by moving a Read or Cousins than even better.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Would our 2nd and both 3rds get us back into the 1st?

87 moved the Blues from 28 to 26 last year.

The Konecny trade was 61 to go from 29 to 24.

The Islanders paid the Rangers 72 to get from 33 to 28 in '15.

I would say possible for the extreme end of the 1st, but less than 50-50. The biggest problem with this is that I'm not sure a team wants a 1 for 3 or 4 in entirely picks. You may have to try to negotiate it as 2 individual jumps, which is going to be tough since the first one would have to be done before the pick is on the clock. The simplest solution is including a player, etc.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I like the idea of sacrificing some quantity for quality considering how much depth our pipeline has.

If we can recoup a 3rd by moving a Read or Cousins than even better.

Totally agree with our current state of prospects. I meant if it was flipped and another team was asking us to do this I would say no. You never know what teams are looking for though. I think a high second would be a whole lot easier to get done..

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

As someone who rarely gets to watch juniors i really appreciate everything you add to our board. Thanks

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Will be happy with some of this guys in 2-3 rounds:
Filip Chytil
Evan Barrat
Josh Brook
Nick Henry
Morgan Geekie
Jake Leschyshyn
Jack Studnicka
Luke Martin
Lane Zablocki

IMO Studnicka has most offensive upside

I've gotten these three on a main boards mock draft.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Really surprise for me there is no thread about this guy

Skyler Mckenzie
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=166653

Overage prospect, 1998 born player.
Pretty strong lower boby, great skater, nice work ethic, likes and can play hard. I didn`t believed my eyes when I read information about his sizes. It`s 5`8/160, according to eliteprospects and official Winterhawks site. But his game really fearless. Probably cause he has a low center of gravity.
He played all season beside potential top-5 Cody Glass. Glass helped Mckenzie to improve his stats. But also Mckenzie helped Glass in dirty areas, cause Glass sucks in this aspect of game. Cody is a really great prospect though.
Also Mckenzie has a good shot. He played both on PP and PK

Seems like a very good option in mid-last rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad