Value of: All of your expiring cap issues to SJ

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
These owners are going to start kiboshing this non-sense as they smarten up and realize it's not worth it. Why are owners willing to spend millions on long shot draft picks? It's doesn't make a lot of economical sense to take on money for these 4ths, and 5ths, and 6th and 7ths. Especially for a team like the Sharks that can find nhl calibre players for free. They could just as easily put that money into pro-scouting in Europe and continue to be the top team at finding assets.

If I'm the Sharks, I don't take on any expiring contract unless I'm getting a decent pick. Worst case scenario the owner can put that money we would have spent towards Hockey Ops in Europe.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
These owners are going to start kiboshing this non-sense as they smarten up and realize it's not worth it. Why are owners willing to spend millions on long shot draft picks? It's doesn't make a lot of economical sense to take on money for these 4ths, and 5ths, and 6th and 7ths. Especially for a team like the Sharks that can find nhl calibre players for free. They could just as easily put that money into pro-scouting in Europe and continue to be the top team at finding assets.

If I'm the Sharks, I don't take on any expiring contract unless I'm getting a decent pick. Worst case scenario the owner can put that money we would have spent towards Hockey Ops in Europe.

the Sharks owner is one of the wealthiest in the league. He wouldn’t need to move money around from players to ops to cover costs.

Shouldn’t do it for 4/5/6/7 rd picks but if you can grab 1/2 round picks for what amounts to pocket change for him and he cares more about winning than dying with $4,675,435,176 as opposed to $4,675,429,176 in his accounts, why not.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
A good example of what the OP is talking about would be when Vegas were involved as the third wheel in the trade of Brassard to Pittsburgh.

Vegas received Ryan Reaves and a 4th rounder for retaining 40% on Brassard. The combined cap hit and salary that they took on in the deal was roughly $1m.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That would be different entirely and also likely not a conversation they would have. SJ surely isn't ready to admit they need to rebuild and will just consider themselves unlucky and try again next year.

Acknowledged.
It is their call and IMO the offer either is or is not sufficiently profitable to consider, and they should be guided accordingly if it is actually worthwhile.
However politics as you describe does interfere with what people sometimes should do/consider, and not just in sports.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The sharks now have quite a bit of IR space and would love to take your Ceci's and Bogosians for just the price of some later draft picks or prospects. Fire away

Here's a big surprise: taking on expiring contracts at the trade deadline has almost no value.

Toronto has zero incentive to trade Ceci unless they think he'll be healthy before the playoffs start. If Buffalo wants to make a trade deadline splash then most of the suitors will have cap space to take Bogosian back as a cap dump.

While priorities could change, I'd guess right now the value of taking on those players as cap dumps to be around the value of a 6th to 7th round pick.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
the Sharks owner is one of the wealthiest in the league. He wouldn’t need to move money around from players to ops to cover costs.

Shouldn’t do it for 4/5/6/7 rd picks but if you can grab 1/2 round picks for what amounts to pocket change for him and he cares more about winning than dying with $4,675,435,176 as opposed to $4,675,429,176 in his accounts, why not.

I agree. I was just getting to the meat and potatoes of some of these posters who think owners who are barely scraping together a profit are willing to bet 7 figures on a longshot late rounder.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Here's a big surprise: taking on expiring contracts at the trade deadline has almost no value.

Toronto has zero incentive to trade Ceci unless they think he'll be healthy before the playoffs start. If Buffalo wants to make a trade deadline splash then most of the suitors will have cap space to take Bogosian back as a cap dump.

While priorities could change, I'd guess right now the value of taking on those players as cap dumps to be around the value of a 6th to 7th round pick.
No your right, im just not used to my team being a seller or having cap space at the deadline, and I didnt realize so many teams also had space do do the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad