Value of: All of your expiring cap issues to SJ

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Get in line there’s quite a few of us looking to do this unfortunately lol

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Take Ceci and we will take Heed, what's the cost?
Ceci will be on LTIR and its insured so not a cash issue

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No teams are going to give up actual assets (however small) to trade their expiring cap dumps, that's just not a thing that happens because there are actual contenders that would acquire those players as depth. Toronto could trade Ceci easily if they tried and Bogosian at 50% is also tradeable. The only cap dumps you could take back right now that actually have negative value are multi-year cap dumps.

$4 million for an entire season of Ceci or Bogosian would be pricey, but at the deadline, it's only $1 million in cap space. If Buffalo or Toronto retains 50%, all but 6 teams in the NHL could afford them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This title almost feels like an oxymoron. The "expiring" things, aren't the real "cap issues". It's the stuff with remaining term on bad bloated contracts that teams are actually worried about dealing with. The things nobody is lining up to take on...those are the cap issues.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This title almost feels like an oxymoron. The "expiring" things, aren't the real "cap issues". It's the stuff with remaining term on bad bloated contracts that teams are actually worried about dealing with. The things nobody is lining up to take on...those are the cap issues.
Well its gonna cost alot more to take those on. No one wants to give up firsts but thats what it takes to get rid of Erikssons or Backes's

Reactions: bernmeister

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Isn’t it against the CBA to trade an injured player without his permission? Ceci would have to come off IR before he could be traded.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
With prorated cap spaces its highly unlikely that any team would have this issue at this point

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If he's LTIR, we don't need to move him...but for poops and giggles:
Dillon to TO
2nd+prospect+4th(for taking Ceci)+Ceci
Honestly forget about the 4th then, I dont care. I thought he was coming back this season. My focus in that case is getting the best pick/prospect combo available.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A second and a third? Marleau for a couple mil more cost a first

The OP specified "later picks"...

I think a 3rd for 4.35 for a full season is roughly fair compared with Marleau at a 1st for 6 for a whole season.
I believe I said a 5th or a later pick for the last quarter or so of the season.

I recognize and to a pt am willing to pay to recover cap flexibility as OP inquires, but it has to be measured.
Worst case if I need to give mins to guys like Hajek, Smith can be buried in the A.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I stand corrected.
Smith may be something they consider for the 2 picks, but he doesn't finish til next yr, not this one.

That would be different entirely and also likely not a conversation they would have. SJ surely isn't ready to admit they need to rebuild and will just consider themselves unlucky and try again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad