All Martin Odegaard's in the World

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Few years ago, there was a lot hype about Martin Odegaard. As we know, Real Madrid won the battle. But now we can say, he didnt fulfill the hype. He is still young (19), but many have doubts, he will break it to the top level.

Who are the others highly touted young man, that in the time lost their magic?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I remember the Norwegian poster who said it was the right choice to sign with Madrid that it wasn't about money, that he was different.
Such a load of crap.

As for your question, so many to list. Some is due to hype too.
I'll say Ben Arfa. Only Clairefontaine youngster to play with older category.
Mad skills. Completely sick. When he broke into the league with Lyon it was crazy. I remember a game at PSG where he was surreal.
Then he went to Om with DD as a coach.
The rest of his career has been awful except for flashes and one single good season in Nice.
Bad attitude, wrong coaching, etc...

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I've read it somewhere that they failed badly Odegaards physical training as a junior which was huge harm in his development.

Adnan Januzaj, M'Baye Niang & Memphis Depay comes in my mind.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ah. Evilo know-it-all. How would Ødegaard have developed if he went to another team? Obviously quite hard to answer. Look at any list of talents from any year and you'll see most don't live up to their hype. At 15-16 it is basically impossible to say who will actually end up becoming good (or in this case very good). I seem to vaguely remember that discussion about Ødegaard (not sure). What is true is that he has a father that used to play - so certainly more knowledge than usual in the family about what is required for a professional football player (and I'm sure they knew most fail at RM and that it was part of the decision making process).

Failed badly physical training? And what does that mean?

As for Ødegaard's talent it seems like he was always more hyped outside of Norway than in Norway. Already quite some time since I think most have started to realize he will never be nearly as good as that early hype (and I doubt at that time 1 year or so in Madrid was enough to "ruin" him). I don't follow Norwegian news that closely, but from what I can see people I respect in terms of football knowledge seem to rate Berge and Ajer higher (and rightly so).

My biggest disappointment, but I'm not sure how hyped he was, was Coulibaly. That 2011 U17 WC was unreal. More or less completely useless since.

So many to choose from. Ravel Morrison. Carlos Vela (I remember friends supporting Arsenal saying losing Henry wasn't going to be a problem because of Vela). Giovani Dos Santos. Pato.

Not that Vela, Dos Santos and Pato had poor careers, but certainly nothing close to their hype.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ah. Evilo know-it-all. How would Ødegaard have developed if he went to another team? Obviously quite hard to answer. Look at any list of talents from any year and you'll see most don't live up to their hype. At 15-16 it is basically impossible to say who will actually end up becoming good (or in this case very good). I seem to vaguely remember that discussion about Ødegaard (not sure). What is true is that he has a father that used to play - so certainly more knowledge than usual in the family about what is required for a professional football player (and I'm sure they knew most fail at RM and that it was part of the decision making process).
I clearly know better than you do if you can't see than a youngster signing at Real rather than Monaco, Porto, Ajax or club like this is hurting his progress.
Indeed not hard to know it all in this case.
Development is also a matter of choices.
Plenty of great U16 footballers fail because of choices. Odegaard has wasted some important development years be a use of money.

Glad you learnt something today. Feel free to come back.

Reactions: robertmac43

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Vela wasn't good as Henry at that point, but we didn't need him with Eduardo, RVP and Adebayor at the time. All three were looking potentially WC along with potential from Vela.

For the thread title I'll say Jack Wilshere. He peaked the one game vs Barca as a teenager.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Vela wasn't good as Henry at that point, but we didn't need him with Eduardo, RVP and Adebayor at the time. All three were looking potentially WC along with potential from Vela.

For the thread title I'll say Jack Wilshere. He peaked the one game vs Barca as a teenager.

I think it is fair to say injuries played a part for Wilshere. If he was just unlucky or not professional enough I couldn't say.

As a Spursfan I hated to watch Wilshere for more than just that one game.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's the same as in hockey or any other sport..it sometimes just doesn't work out. I think the two biggest issues tend to be guys who mature physically earlier than their peers and thus will run riot at the youth levels but then everyone else catches up eventually. Dodgy birth certificates have often been a factor there, but it's also just that every person grows differently.

Secondly there's attitude. Every 16 year old player needs to work extremely hard to improve enough to be a great pro. Even a Messi would not have become Messi if he had started skating by on talent alone then.

But to actually name a mega bust, where one or both of those factors may have played a role..Freddy Adu. People below a certain age wouldn't believe how much hype that kid got on the internet back in the early to mid 2000s. I think he's now playing in the 2nd American tier or something.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
I remember the Norwegian poster who said it was the right choice to sign with Madrid that it wasn't about money, that he was different.
Such a load of crap.

As for your question, so many to list. Some is due to hype too.
I'll say Ben Arfa. Only Clairefontaine youngster to play with older category.
Mad skills. Completely sick. When he broke into the league with Lyon it was crazy. I remember a game at PSG where he was surreal.
Then he went to Om with DD as a coach.
The rest of his career has been awful except for flashes and one single good season in Nice.
Bad attitude, wrong coaching, etc...

Gotta second Ben Arfa here. Growing up a Lyon fan, I thought the Benzema + Ben Arfa combo would bring us a CL. It might be laughable now, but back then, Lyon was a mainstay of the quarters and semis. Then it just... didn't work out that way with Ben Arfa.

His career is pretty much the best "what not to do" example for soccer players. He did have some pretty serious injuries while playing in the PL, but his decision-making has always kept him down. I always compared him to Alex Kovalev, skills-wise. All the talent in the world, can take over games and seem like the only player on the pitch, but in the end always leaves more to be desired in the bigger picture. I thought he finally had gotten a grip on his career after his great season in Nice, only for him to make the worst decision of his career, and that says much.

Rumors say he might come back to Lyon this summer. I'm sure Aulas would love that. I'd rather not, however.

As for Odegaard, he still has time to become a good player. However, barring players like Mbappe or Dembele, I feel like young players should wait before moving to top 5 clubs. Make your own story somewhere, and move to the big clubs when they'll want to play you constantly, instead of going on loan left and right for 3-4 years before getting a shot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Next time, maybe you think twice before writing crap.
"Know it all" is pretty arrogant from you, just because I said at the time and said again today moving to Real as a 16 year old was for money and bad for his career, which is OBVIOUS.
If that's "know it all", then so be it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also Gourcuff

I'll say Charly Musonda. Tiny kid but hugely talented. Should've come up through the Anderlecht ranks, like Tielemans. Went for the money and a move to Chelsea instead.
Gourcuff was crazy good for one or two years. And then fell off the earth. WC 10 also demolished his mental approach to the game it seems.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’ll add Ravel Morrison to the list. Was apparently the most talented youth player SAF had ever seen. He had tons of skill which was apparent to just about everyone, shame he’s an absolute moron, especially off the pitch. Couldn’t keep himself out of trouble and definitely had too much of an ego.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Few years ago, there was a lot hype about Martin Odegaard. As we know, Real Madrid won the battle. But now we can say, he didnt fulfill the hype. He is still young (19), but many have doubts, he will break it to the top level.

For Denmark two recent ones come to mind.

Viktor Fischer and Pierre Emile Hoejbjerg.

Fischer I really believed in, he was so dominant at the U17 Euros in 2011, and very good at the U17 worlds. His 6 goals against Liverpool in the youth UCL got me so hyped.

But he fell from grace after an injury, and he seems a bit naive in his approach to the sport, he seems like a guy who wouldn't be too sad if his football career ended, he would just find a job as a realtor or something.

Pierre Emile was never really my fancy, he was the same generation as Fischer and played the same U17s, where he looked good. but at senior level, he imo lacked and lacks on pitch IQ.

He is not a very smart player.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

About Ødegaard: This is what happens when the big teams can sign how many players they want to, and spend how much money they want to. They can sign too many talented players, so the others don't get them. And just let those they don't need get destroyed.

This should serve as a warning to kids with a shot at being superstars.

Yeah, I'm a Norwegian...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I also expected Luke Moore to be much more.

And I know Benfica fans will disagree, but at one point I thought Javier Saviola would become a world beater.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
John Bostock.
Jeremie Aliadiere.
Quincy Owusu Abeye.
Kerlon.
Benjamin Onwuachi.
Javier Portillo.
Anthony Le Tallec.
Florent Sinama Pongolle.
Diego.
Robinho.

Just some that I can think of.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Heh, I remember the Freddy Adu hype. I didn't even follow football that much when his name started to pop up yet he was always the "next great one" for me. Guy disappeared so completely I started to think he was the football version of Dustin Rose.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
John Bostock.
Jeremie Aliadiere.
Quincy Owusu Abeye.
Kerlon.
Benjamin Onwuachi.
Javier Portillo.
Anthony Le Tallec.
Florent Sinama Pongolle.
Diego.
Robinho.

Just some that I can think of.
Le Tallec and Sinama.
Such dominance at youth levels. Nothing to show for it.

Kakuta also comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad