All LHD or LHD/RHD - How Much Does it Matter?

LHD or LHD/RHD

• ALL LHD

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Balance

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Heiskanen plays the right side anyways, for better or for worse

Josi played a decent amount on the right with McDonagh this year too. I’ve often thought it would make sense to try it with Quinn Hughes as well, since it’s easier to find lefties. I think for defensemen who have great puck skills it’s easier to swap.

I think it probably makes sense to take the better talent in this scenario.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In this example, I'm taking all LHD. All things being equal, I want the balance.

thanos-perfectlybalanced.gif

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Heiskanen plays the right side anyways, for better or for worse

Yeah. It really comes down to how comfortable and capable the specific players are, of playing their off side. Not all Lefties are created equal. Heck, there are some out there like Theodore, arguably Dahlin, who are actually better and more comfortable on their off side.

In this case, i'm fine with Heiskanen and Josi playing their off side, and i wouldn't be too afraid of Morrissey playing there either.

Now...if you have a bunch of Left handed D who are really uncomfortable playing their off side, and/or your coaches have a system that really emphasizes picking up pucks and being on that strong side...it can quickly become a serious problem that can be exploited.

The other real issue is when it comes to the Powerplay. Depending on what the rest of your personnel looks like, it can be really limiting to not have a RH shooter option at the point.

It's also kind of funny that you selected Weegar for the team with RH defencemen, since he's one of the only guys i can even think of, that i've seen play as a Right Shot defenceman at Left D. :laugh:

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Most lefties have played the right side in their developmental years and there are many that are actually better and more comfortable playing the right side. We all know that having a righty against the wall in the d zone is ideal so I would say that you need a right shot in the pairing that plays the most d zone faceoffs. Other than that it doesn’t matter much.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well out of these choices, the 3 LHD are all better than the 3 RHD.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I'd rather have all RHD

Makar - Fox
Weegar - Bouchard
Karlsson - Dobson

Carlson, Faber, Doughty, Letang...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad